CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

8.0

$1,933.00

1. new timing chain and tensioner guide (6 reports)
2004 Nissan Maxima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Maxima:

2004 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments

May 162014

Maxima LS 3.5L

• CVT transmission

I was driving and suddenly the car stopped. Didn't want to start. At first I thought it was the gas pump, replaced it with a new Airtex pump $310. Didn't work. Replaced crankshaft position sensor (bank 1) Nothing Replaced crankshaft position sensor (bank 2) Nothing Replaced the sensor under the engine (not sure how's it called) Nothing By this time I spent around $600 By the end of the day I knew what was wrong. Timing chain tensors. Broken. I replaced it and that was it. No engine damage.

- , Reynosa, Tamaulipas, mexico

Dec 312011

Maxima SE 3.5L

Hello There - I purchased this 2004 Nissan Maxima last year with approximately 80K miles from the original owner. The original owner had done all the recomended scheduled maintenance (7.5K, 15K, 30K,45K, 60K, 75K). Nevertheless the car has a very anoying and concern noise coming form the engine as if the timing chain is loose. I found a dealership work order to correct the very same problem when the car had less than 45K miles. So apparently the problem was not corrected properly. I had a 2001 Nissan Maxima before and never had any problems with that car since I purchased it brand new. Should this problem with my 2004 Nissan Maxima don't end up being a recall, I will never again buy another Maxima.

Sincerely,

Robert Menjivar

Cell# (510) -388-2939

- , Millbrae, CA, USA

Dec 062010

Maxima SL 3.5L V6

not sure why a car with this type of mileage needs a timing gear. i'm almost thru paying for it, so i will pay for $1500 for a new timing gear and hope that that my last major repair for a while. Two major problems with this car have happened already (transmission had to be replaced now timing gear). As much as I love the styling (interior and exterior), mechanically the car is not sound.

- , Greensboro, NC, USA

Aug 222011

Maxima SE

I WANTED A MAXIMA FOR OVER 20 YEARS...AS A RETIREMENT PRESENT TO MYSELF I BOUGHT A 2004 MAXIMA BRAND NEW...THE FIRST THING TO GO WAS MY ALTERNATOR,AFTER THAT MY BATTERY WENT,,,THEN I FOUND OUT THAT I HAD 4 DRY ROOTED TIRES.....THEN MY TRANSMISSION WENT(FORTUNATELY I STILL HAD 3 MONTH WARRANTY ON IT)...MY BATTERY WENT AGAIN...NOW I HAVE A HOLE IN MY POWER STEERING LINE AND MY ENGINE IS SHOT....ALL THIS ON A CAR THAT HAS 55,700 MILES....AS YOU CAN SEE I DO NOT DRIVE A LOT..AND I AM THE ONLY DRIVER..I HAVE NOT DOGGED MY CAR IN ANY WAY...I AM SO UPSET..I HAD TO GO BACK TO WORK AND I NEED MY CAR....WHAT I THOUGHT WAS A DREAM COME TRUE HAS INDEED TURNED INTO A NIGHTMARE...

- , Phila, PA, USA

Jan 052011

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

Like many others the Engine Timing Chain in 2004 Maxima makes ticking noise. It started giving the ticking noise. As I stated have all the service records. Every time ( less than 3500 miles ) oil and filter replaced with Synthetic fluid. This timing chain failure is a major design issue and lots of customer are suffering from this. Nissan even issued a TSB for this but no Recall. Dealer quoted $1100 to fix this. Have the diagnosis report.

- , Torrance, CA, USA

Aug 022007

Maxima SL 3.5L

this is a piece of sh*t car. I brought this car in 2005 2nd owner. problem started in 2006. car makes rattling noise from enging when you start it. started reporting the dealer in 2007 while under warranty. problem was found in 2010 when warranty was gone. The dealer gave me a $4000 estimate for the repairs

- , Atlanta, GA, USA