Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2004 Nissan Maxima fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Maxima:

2004 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments

Aug 252016

Fuel pressure dampner leaking gas after 72,000 miles on 2004 Nissan Maxima. There are two on fuel rail. If climate control vent is open, one can smell gas if there is a problem. Very poor design to fix 3 hours labor to pull intake manifold off to repair, bolts upside down on dampner and hard to get to. Just replacing dampners did not stop leak, fuel rail also had to be replaced.

- Middletown, NY, USA

Oct 052015

I had my daughter and 2 grandkids in my 2004 Nissan Maxima, baby 3 days old my daughter just had her my car ran out of power right on the highway we were almost hit by oncoming vehicles we had to literally stand outside the vehicle so cars wouldn't hit us antifreeze all over ground and smoking radiator cracked and got antifreeze in transmission

- Canton, MA, USA

Apr 152015

The transmission in this car gets very jerky and causes either delayed or unexpected acceleration which is very hazardous while driving in high traffic areas. From what I've read, this is a common problem for this vehicle.

- Owensboro, KY, USA

Jan 222015

Maxima 6-cyl

The car is jerking is while driving. It is also revving while driving.

- Sicklerville, NJ, USA

Feb 012013

Maxima 6-cyl

I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima. Check engine light came on and within a few days problem began. When driving down an incline and turning one way or the other the car will die, steering will lock up and there is no way to steer. Unable to restart engine until you come to a complete stop, put in park then it takes multiple attempts to restart. You also cannot even steer over to the side of the road to get out of traffic. This almost caused me to have an accident on two different occasions. I found out that Nissan has a recall on Altima with this same issue, but will not cover and recall my vehicle. This is very dangerous and I do not understand why they would only recall certain makes when it is the same exact error code on both vehicles. It is a P3040 cam sensor/cam shaft recall through Nissan. However, they say my make and model does not fall under this recall. Shouldn't they recall all vehicles with this same problem? thank you for your help in this safety issue.

- Roseville, OH, USA