CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

1.8

2004 Nissan Maxima miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Maxima:

2004 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments

Apr 162015

Maxima

The floor panel on the passenger side has a hole in it due to rust and rot. It failed the state of New Hampshire safety inspection, my car is a 2004 Nissan Maxima SE, and I am a disabled marine veteran. I took it to a body shop and there cost was $800 dollars and for me being disabled I can not afford that cost. Nissan needs to step up here and fix what is right, not to call me and try to sell me a new car. I told the dealer who is going to pay for this new car. I am so sick of being a disabled marine veteran and being treated like crap. Most people just do not give a crap they just want your money, something I do not have. My car was in a garage most of the time in a small town.

Apr 252003

Maxima

Last April 25, 2003 I took my car for a yearly inspection and it failed due to the rust in the passenger floor panel and side rail. From then I took it to a body shop and they gave me a price of $800 to $1,000 dollars to fix it. Being disabled and a former marine on a fixed income. I could not pay for it. So I covered it and placed it in storage. For how much I paid for this vehicle you think they would give you a break, hell no. I need to get to appointments and need a car, so we're do I go to get help"???" when I find some one to take pictures I will write again. I can not get under the car because I have had 3/3 major back Fusion sergury's that all failed.

Oct 092015

Maxima

Transmission jerks, slips while driving also banging sounds when you change gears this has been happening for awhile I had transmission fluid flushed, had the engine speed sensor replaced, now I was told I need transmission replaced 90,898 miles had to replace under car body because it rotted out

- Quincy, MA, USA

Apr 252015

Maxima

My car failed the safety inspection due to rust on the passenger side has a hole in the floor pan as well as rust in the side rail. I am a disabled form marine vet. My wife left me and everything I had. So I can not afford this to be fixed. From all the completes about this there needs to be a recall. I can not take any pictures because after 3/3 level back Fusion I can not get under the car. The problem was found by the state inspection failed due to the rust.

Jul 152015

Me radio and gps and air and hit is the problem 1 day work others day

- Chicopee, MA, USA

Aug 242014

Maxima

My Nissan Maxima jerks from 1st to 2nd gear. Its uncontrolable and extremely dangerous. It isalso delayed when switching from drive to reverse. I could live with repairing these issues if they werent common but the amount of people that ive read about with the same issues shows me that its nothing I did. Its clearly a manufacturing issue and its a shame that Nissan doesnt stand by their products

- Meriden, CT, USA

Aug 272015

Maxima

During driving its jerking and bumping shows "service engine" alert. Mechanic verified and he said may be transmission have issue.

- Ronkonkoma, NY, USA

Jun 012015

Maxima

Vehicle is showing early signs of transmission failure. When slowing down, down shifting to the lower gear is harsh. The gear is slammed into position and decelerates the vehicle abruptly. After researching this, many other consumers have had complete transmission failure which led to a repair cost between $3000 and $6000. I fear that during the winter time, control of the vehicle could be lost in snowy conditions due to a sudden deceleration leading into a severe accident.

- Darien, IL, USA

Jul 072015

Maxima

Floorboards on '04 Maxima completely rusted through. Car is 1 owner, garaged, low mileage. Rear sub frame part was replaced on recall shortly after purchase. Reason- not suitable for northern climate. Car was bought and is still in St. Louis area

- Granite City, IL, USA

Jun 272015

Maxima

I just bought a 2004 Maxima on August 2014.just brought the car for a oil and the mechanic told me that a have a rotted floor panel an the passanger side.went on line and notice that I was not the only person with this problem.can you help? I dont feel safe in this vehicle.I have children and iam afraid that this can cause a accident.

- Southbridge, MA, USA

Feb 102010

Maxima 6-cyl

I am the first and only owner of this car. There were no accidents or physical damage to my vehicle. Whenever I shift to reverse the car pauses and then jerks. Same jerk behavior happens whenever I shift from reverse to drive. I took it to the shop and had new motor mounts put in to solve the problem. For a few days you could barely feel the jerking when switching to reverse. Literally by the next week it was bad all over again and the jerking returned. Also, sometimes when I am driving I can feel the car "hesitating" when switching gears. For example, this morning I was driving to work and going only around 25mph and as I started to accelerate the car jerked and slowed down for about 5 seconds before it returned to my normal speed. This can be very frustrating and scary. All regular scheduled services (including oil and fluid changes) were performed by local professional shops. I would like to get my transmission replaced by Nissan at their expense.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Jul 142014

Maxima 6-cyl

I am wondering how to figure out if the recalls on my car have been fixed. I have had it under a year and have been having problems with what has been recalled and want to make sure the previous owner had them fixed.

- Oblong, IL, USA

Aug 112011

Maxima 6-cyl

When the car is driven on the highway for 30 minutes or longer this happens. After slowing down or coming to a stop, when starting up the transmission seems to miss when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. The engine rives up like the transmission is in neutral or park. After slowing the engine down and starting up again it works correctly.

- Winchester, VA, USA

Aug 012010

Maxima

Car jerks when going into 1st, 2nd or 3rd and has gotten stuck in 3rd gear when driving, had to put in manual gears in order to stop the vehicle. Also when putting in reverse car jerks and then when you go into drive the vehicle jerks again. A/C also went out about 6 months after owning the car, which was bought in 2009. Vehicle has been checked out by dealership and they do not know what the main problem is with the car, and said they would fix 2 things to see if it fixes the problem, only if I pay them about $3000 to $3500. Dealer does not know the root of the problem, however they want to charge for "what if's". car also jerks when you break or slow down without using break system. I am afraid for my life and the life of my family.

- Somersworth, NH, USA

Apr 012010

Maxima

After stopping at a stop sign, my car would not proceed properly and then all of a sudden lunged forward. After I was continuing at approximately 30 miles per hour the transmission jerked into gear. The same scenario happened frequently.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Dec 182008

Maxima

My 04 Maxima currently has just over 50,000 miles on it. I have noticed some hard shifts over the past few months, but they had been very intermittent. The other day however I noticed the service engine soon light was on and when accelerating from a stop I realized that I barely had any power! after engine shut off the acceleration was back to normal. The service engine soon light remained on. The code was pulled and reset. P 0797 pressure control solenoid, stuck on. Repair cost approximately 4000 dollars. Problem outstanding. The struts have also gone bad. Problem outstanding. I have also had to replace the battery. The front right rotor is warped and causes steering wheel shim when downhill braking. Problem outstanding. My car had begun to idle very low twice and actually died once. Problem outstanding. A weld on the heat shield of the catalytic converter has come loose and causes a noticeable vibration when accelerating when cold. This subsides once it's heated up probably due to metal expansion. Problem outstanding. I have also replaced the tires due too bad alignment camber on some and also castor I believe it was wearing the tires unevenly.

- Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, USA