CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

8.3

$2,759.00

1. replace transmission (64 reports)
  3. the transmission valve body needs replacing (17 reports)
  4. replace broken motor mounts (4 reports)
  5. the errors were- 1.) faulty crankshaft position sensor, 2.) (3 reports)
  6. replace about 3/4 of your transmission fluid - NOT FILTER (2 reports)
2004 Nissan Maxima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Maxima:

2004 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 2 of 8)

Jun 022014

Maxima

The fact that Nissan won't take responsibility for these sorry transmissions in these cars really speaks of how much they value their customers. I will never ever own another Nissan.

- , Pass Christian, MS, USA

Jun 012015

Maxima SE 3.5L

We have had my Maxima since it debuted in 2003. It was purchased in July of 2003. We would drive it occasionally since we had other cars we were driving, which is why now in 2015, it only has 88,000 miles on it. A couple of months ago I noticed that when it would downshift, the transmission would slam into the gear. It would feel as if someone hit me from behind. I noticed that it would happen every once and a while and decided to look up what kind of issues might arise. I was shocked to see how many complaints were issued in regards to the transmission. After reading that the bad motor mounts may be an underlying cause of a transmission failure, I went and tested to see if my motor mounts were bad. I went several mechanics and I was informed that they were indeed bad. Being this is my main mode of transportation, I went and spent over $2200 to get them replaced.

3 motor mounts and a transmission mount later, the issue remains. I do not have the funds to replace my vehicle nor the funds to replace the transmission. From what I've read, transmission failure after 100,000 miles is inevitable and will cost me no matter what.

Nissan service advisers acknowledged to me that 2004-2005 Maxima transmissions are ones they've seen often as being problematic since they mated a Toyota transmission to a Nissan engine. I believe that Nissan should shoulder the majority of the responsibility of the cost for repairs on these vehicles. I believe its just coincidental that no one has reported an accident due to a failed transmission. I no longer feel safe on the road while driving this vehicle, but I have no choice but to drive it at this time.

- , Darien, IL, USA

Feb 012015

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

After some research on the internet, I've realized I am NOT alone with the issues I'm having with my transmission. And, after all I've ready, I can't believe that A.) Nissan has not done a recall (HORRIBLE business ethics, if you ask me) and B.) The pending lawsuit... is STILL pending! Is there not enough proof from all the consumers?! This is extremely frustrating, stressful, and quite frankly, frightening. I live in an area, where having a car is extremely important. I should not have to worry about transmission failure, for no reason!

If my car has been regularly serviced and taken care of, there's no reason I should have to deal with these issues... and pay upwards of $3,000 to fix it. That's almost as much as the car itself is worth now! Come on Nissan! Step up your game...and take care of your customers! PLEASE!!!

- , Redwood City, CA, USA

Mar 012014

Maxima 3.5L

The transmission constantly hesitates about 2 seconds and then jerks every time I shift in "D"! It is extremely frustrating and annoying! In addition, whenever I am in stop-n-go traffic daily on the interstate to and from my job, it shifts really hard at times, slips, jerks, etc... Overall I love the car, accept for the transmission problem! It drives me crazy! I am afraid to take it on any road trips anymore in fear that the transmission is going to completely go out on me!

- , Troutman, NC, USA

Jan 152014

Maxima V6

Bought this Nissan Maxima to replace a Toyota Avalon....BIG MISTAKE.

- , Alvin, TX, USA

Aug 072015

Maxima SE 3.5L

Car looks great. I took it in to a Findlay, Ohio Nissan Dealer and they told me nothing is wrong with it! A few month's later, the same problem continues to happen and now it's getting worse. The car when slowing (or passing through 20 mph) has a big clunk and jerks violently. The other day the car literally start surging and jerking in the middle of traffic. I pulled over, turned the car off hoping it would reset the shift patter. However, it made many violent jerks all the way home. Going to take it to the shop soon. But I WILL NOT go to the Findlay, Ohio dealer. Those guys don't know anything! OR, they DO KNOW and they just don't want to tackle the job. Nissan should RECALL these transmissions because I've read many complaints and they all sound similar or exact to mine. Nissan...we have a problem!!

- , Fremont, OH, USA

Jan 012015

Maxima SE 3.5L

Nissan Maxima 2004 model should be recalled. It is unsafe and might take a life someday.

- , Calgary, AB, Canada

Dec 102008

Maxima ES 3.5lV6

Worst transmission ever. Despite spending over $2000 CAD to fix the jerking problem of the transmission, this issue remains unresolved.

I have reported and complained both at my Nissan dealership and Nissan Canada, but of course, they claimed that the Maxima 2004 has no transmission issues, and only very few complains were ever filed. As a result, although I like the new Rogue VHS, I will never by a Nissan product again.

- , Montreal, QC, Canada

Oct 082012

Maxima SE

The year model 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima transmission was failure it would jerk when gears shifting.

- , Port Wentworth, GA, USA

Sep 242014

Maxima SE 3.5L

Problem drive me crazy. Shifting late, banging, sounds like the transmission is going to fall right out of the car.

- , N.Reading, MA, USA

Feb 282015

Maxima SE 3.8L

Nissan just needs to fix the problem plain and simple. Or give everybody who owns a 04-06 Maxima a brand new one for all their problems.

- , Tupper Lake, NY, USA

Apr 152015

Maxima

Started jerking in drive and seal leaking, had seal replaced and a new torque converter $700.00. Brought it home and it stated slipping and jerking real bad, ended up replacing transmission, another $700.00 cause it was a used one. I lucked up and found a good one, hopefully it will not do the same thing.

Also had to have sensors replaced $300.00 and new motor mounts $400.00.

- , tazewell, TN, USA

Aug 032012

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

Ever since I was young I always wanted a Nissan Maxima so in March 2008 I finally got my 2004 Nissan Maxima SE. I enjoyed it until I started having transmission problems. When I would shift from reverse or drive, out of park, there would be a hard jerk, and, my transmission was getting stuck in fifth gear. In August 2012, which was very depressing, so I took the Maxima back to the the Nissan dealership where it actually came from to let them check it. First they told me when they test drove it they couldn't find nothing wrong, that it drove fine.

So I drove it back home but a week later it started doing the same thing again as it was doing before, so I took it back to the dealership and they checked it again, but this time came back and told me that I had a bad transmission and that it was going to cost me around $3500 to get another transmission for the Maxima. So I just brought it back to my house and parked it because I don't have $3500 to get a transmission with.

Nissan needs to accept the fact that they made a mistake in building these transmissions and go fix these transmissions or get brand new transmissions for us that have these faulty transmissions and stop trying to hide from the problem. Because it's too many people having transmission problems in their Maximas.

- , Newton, AL, USA

Jun 012010

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

Replaced the valve body. Problem is wasn't fixed for very long. (10k miles, maybe). Please let me know if you have any fix that doesn't involve a completely new transmission. Please help! I don't have another 4-5k to spend. Donations accepted to drive it through the window of the recall office! =)

- , Warrenton, VA, USA

Mar 182015

Maxima SL 3.2L

This is my everyday car and I am a single mother with three kids. Every time I drive it shift gears causing my car to jerk very bad. When stuck in traffic my RPM goes up to 5 and then it jerks hard. I can't afford to fix the problem so now I'm back on the bus with my kids.

- , Alsip, IL, USA

Mar 152015

Maxima V6

Had extended warranty for used purchase that expired at 102000 miles - transmission failed and car just turned 103000 miles .

- , Cheney, WA, USA

Mar 022015

Maxima SL 3.5L

NISSAN should be ashamed of themselves. I WILL NOT PURCHASE ANOTHER CAR FROM NISSAN EVER. Not just because of the transmission problems, but because the company will not stand behind the problem at hand. They will not fix this problem. This faulty ass vehicle needs to be on the recall list. My car jerks and shuts off from this transmission problem. I filed a complaint with this law firm that's got a lawsuit going towards NISSAN and she should sign too, maybe if enough of us complain they will actually do something about it.

Law firm info below:

Here:

- , Montgomery, AL, USA

Oct 062014

Maxima

Have had my car for three years. I've put thousands of dollars into this car and for them to tell me it's the transmission... RECALL PLEASE

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Nov 102014

Maxima SE

I bought a used 2004 Nissan Maxima from an individual just 3 months ago. I had read reviews that the transmission in these vehicles had very bad reviews, but I was comforted by the fact that the woman I bought the car from had the transmission completely re-built in 2012.

The first month was fine, then the second month I started having problems starting the car. That was just sporadically, so I thought I had purchased bad fuel, or because the A/C was on. This month (and it's only the 10th of November) has been a nightmare. It began with hard starts, then very low power to the car. I would pull over, turn off the engine, an re-start it. This happened several times, but once I re-started it, it would be fine.

This past weekend, the car would not start. It clicked like the battery was dead. I took it to an auto parts store to have the battery tested. They confirmed it was bad, so I bought a new battery. I thought everything was fine! I started home and while I was driving (approx. 60-65 mph) down a two lane, high traffic highway, I started losing power and the tachometer started going crazy! I was terrified. The person behind me almost rear ended me. I had to squeeze onto the very narrow shoulder while cars whizzed past me less than a foot away. As long as I could coast along, the jerking stopped and the tachometer rested at 2. As soon as I had to accelerate, the same thing happened. Very bad jerking and the tachometer flipping back and forth like a windshield wiper on hyper speed. The lurching and decrease in power was so scary on that highway.

I called the transmission company that did the re-build and was told there was no warranty on the service. I'm a single mom, breast cancer survivor, full time employee and full time student. I don't have $4,000 to fix this car! I can't believe that there are this many complaints from terrified drivers and Nissan isn't doing anything about it. Shameful!

- , Rockwall, TX, USA