CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

8.3

$2,882.00

1. replace transmission (49 reports)
  3. the transmission valve body needs replacing (16 reports)
  4. replace broken motor mounts (3 reports)
  5. the errors were- 1.) faulty crankshaft position sensor, 2.) (3 reports)
  6. replace about 3/4 of your transmission fluid - NOT FILTER (2 reports)
2004 Nissan Maxima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Maxima:

2004 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Nov 112013

Maxima ES V6

I have been a faithful consumer of Nissan vehicles and have always raved about their durability and performance and been an advocate of this vehicle make until now I am extremely disappointed after many years of loyalty I can not believe that my 2004 Maxima needs a new transmission it has a horrible knock This model left a lot to be desired in terms of the transmission performance Nissan has know of this defective problem with 2004 Maxima and has not done a recall before it becomes a bigger problem and lives are lost , do we have to wait to have fatalities due to the negligence of a company that at one point had a good reputation. Would it not be best to do a recall and fix this problem to keep your loyal customers happy than to have a law suit for the loss of lives which is worst and more expensive. I have always bought Nissan for their reputation and quality of cars and this transmission does not meet my expectations.

- , Newark, NJ, USA

Jan 022014

Maxima V6 3.5L

The transmission revs hard shifts hard when I go to brake it acts like imma be thrown through the windshelid yesterday it popped up with a po780 code

- , Chattanooga, TN, USA

Sep 022011

Maxima SE V6

My car started jerking. Then it started to get worst; and finally I took it to the shop and they told me that Nissan know about this transmission problem, but failed to act on it. It's a manufacture problem and they ( Nissan) should be responsible for it. The shop and the dealer told me I had to replace the body on the transmission but if it is bad I would have to get a new transmission. When they took it apart, it was a burnt out torque converter, which meant I had to replace the transmission...with a price tag of about $4000.

- , Bensalem, PA, USA

Oct 282013

Maxima ES V6

At around 80,000 miles, car starts experiencing a jerking motion more prevalent when going from reverse to drive. On at least once occasion the jerk was so profound that it felt like someone had hit me from the rear. Contacted the dealer who gave me a $42 - $45 to replace trans. And that is exactly how he quoted it, forty-two to forty-five. I thought he was kidding or had lost his mind. When I had another shop look at the car, they suggested I pay $1300 to replace valve body "to see if that would work" indicating on these cars the majority of the time that is the problem. However, if that didn't fix the problem, it would cost an additional $1500 OR MORE to repair. It was the or more that stopped me in my tracks.

It is unfortunate that this class action suite is not farther along to remedy this problem that so many are experiencing. I wanted a nice car so I bought this Maxima which is giving me more problems than other cars I have had. I will be writing another complaint regarding the cam sensors which I have had to replace both sensors twice. Could this all be related???

- , Brandon, FL, USA

Aug 082010

Maxima SE 3.5L

This problem is a common one with owners of the 2004 model, and I believe Nissan should be held accountable. It's no coincidence that the model the following year was "shiftless"! I'm personally exploring legal options in the form of a "class action" lawsuit against them. The code is P0744 and many Maxima owners were complaining about it on Maxima.com. Anyone who is experiencing this problem should have a valid reason to join in!

- , New Castle, DE, USA

Oct 062013

Maxima SE 3.5L

This is fourth loaded to the max Maxima.Leather and the works. Now transmission problem, jerking and the like.... My wife wants to wait for the 2015 model year and she doesn't know it but I will be getting her a Lexus.. Sooooo done with Nissan.. They never address the issue unless you beg... Doesn't matter that you spend 120,000.00 in 4 cars..... They need a class action law suit or a recall on this transmission.

When the mechanic from Nissan can tell you bad transmission and know the year of the Maxima before you tell them.......... yeh right!!! Get the point, well known problem. Oh well, Nissan thinks, big company no big deal..... Well they better step up with their warranty program and customer service or they will be where Hyundai was when they started in the business.

Nissan, in this tough economy, you really don't care!!!! Shame on you....

- , Millville, NJ, USA

Nov 142011

Maxima SL 3.5L V6

This is my fourth (and last) nissan maxima. Nissan Corp will not even acknowledge that there is a problem. Right now, the problem mostly occurs when I am driving along and take my foot off of the gas and then try to accelerate again. The rpm's go up and then the transmission engages with a terrible jerk. One motor mount is already broken. The dealer suggests that I replace the mount, but what for? Until the transmission is fixed, it is only going to keep breaking the mounts. It's a damn shame Nissan will not do a recall on this problem!

- , Thomaston, GA, USA

Jun 122011

Maxima SE

My 2004 Nissan Maxima has suffered severe transmission problems over the course of the last year. When the vehicle is switched from "park," to "drive," it sometimes takes several seconds to engage. When it does, the car jerks really bad. Also, the car jerks horribly bad when shifting between gears while driving. The jerking can be so severe at times, the car will veer to the left. I fee that this is a HUGE safety concern! The car has almost veered into oncoming traffic on more than one occasion! When the vehicle is at a dead stop (stop sign, red light, etc.), it will also take a few seconds to engage itself to drive. My Nissan Maxima has LESS THAN 60,000 MILES! No car should be having such severe problems at such a young age. I have been reviewing this problem on the internet, and it appears that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of Nissan Maxima car owners who are having the same problem. It is absolutely ridiculous that Nissan would turn a blind eye to an issue that they have to be aware of!! I have been a huge advocate of Nissan, if this issue does not get resolved by Nissan, you can bet that I will not only never buy a Nissan again, but convince everyone I know to never buy a Nissan.

- , Portland, OR, USA

Dec 032011

NOT UNDER WARRANTY ALTHOUGH IT APPEARS TO BE A "RECALL" SITUATION

- , Sivler Spring, MD, USA

May 162012

Maxima SE 3;5

click to see larger images

jerks when shifting

I buy mi 2004 Maxima this month with 139 000 miles but the transmission just start jerking and I think slipping what can I do? 6th generation transmission sucks and you now Nissan, you just lost a costumer; I hope that Nissan make a recall on the transmission.

- , Duarte, CA, USA

Jun 202012

Maxima SE 3.5L

Replace position sensor .This solution is what was recommended to me by the dealership..how ever when i had them do the work..before I paid, I asked that a tech ride with me.. none were available so they let me drive by myself. Not good It did it again and then a tech took a ride with me and I could not duplicate the problem again.. So I paid the bill and went home..It did it again..with trial and error I found out that between 1000-2000 RPM and @ a speed of 20 to 25MPH a heavy slam of the transmission would happen. Turned the car back into dealer..

- , Cabot, AR, USA

Mar 012013

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

I have had the scare of my life. In heavy traffic , my 2004 Nissan Maxima transmission was knocking and slipping, had excessive high RPM's, and jerked heavily when shifting causing the car to "burn rubber". A rating severity of 10 is given due to having had 4 near miss (possible) accidents in a period of 20 minutes. The car was sent to the repair shop and items were replaced that the mechanic said would fix the problem (engine mounts). The car was driven again and displayed the same defects. The car manufacture was notified of these defects on 3/7/2013. These conditions pose a safety hazard not only to myself but also to my passengers (which are family and friends), other drivers on the road as well as innocent pedestrians that may come in contact with my car when I finally do have that serious life threatening accident due to my transmission defect. I recommended to the BBB that Nissan should recall the 2004 Nissan Maxima for transmission defect, offer its customers a suitable repair or replacement for diagnosing and repairing the transmission defect and the related damage that the defect caused, free of charge. I have owned a Nissan Maxima since 1988. Is there a remedy to this defect? I reported the transmission defect to the following companies: Nissan, ODI/NHTSA/DOT, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 072013

Maxima SE V6

Just bought a burnt orange 2004 nissan maxima. The car has stopped twice on me on the highway for no reason. It jerks significantly when changing gears abd is a pain. I just bought this car!!! In looking into research there is a class action lawsuit against nissan about their trannys in 2004 to 2006 models. Just had to let you all know. THERE IS A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT GO GET YOUR CARS FIXED OR GET ON BOARD SO YOU CAN BE COMPENSATED FOR THE OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES!!!!!

- , 221 Sunnyglen Dr Greer, SC, USA

May 012013

Maxima SE

I'm pissed the car inspection is due along with everything else. insurance tags, and to top it off my son's prom is next month and I need the car for him to go and return. not to mention paying for his suit, ticket, pictures... I'm still paying for the car. haven't had it for a year and I only make 600.00 every two weeks. after I pay this car off I'm getting rid of it and I will not purchase a Nissan ever again and I will be sure to tell friends the same.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 012012

Maxima

I'm so glad to hear other people are having the same problem I've been having with my 2004 Maxima transmission. It seems to only happen when I'm driving it - husband drives it nothing; mechanic drives it nothing - and I was beginning to think it was in my head until I found this website. I have so many similarities from other complaints - jerking HARD from reverse to drive; driving long distances, shifting hard on the highway,etc. I drive about 25 miles to work and every morning when I park it does the jerk thing. Just last week my mechanic changed the o2 sensor because the "service engine soon" light came on. I was so excited because I thought surely that was the problem but it wasn't. Drove it to work the next morning and bang - jerking! I also smell a hot smell when I park and get out - does anyone else have this problem? I think it all has to be related since I didn't smell it until the transmission started jerking. I've printed all the possible "fixes" and the complaints and I'm taking them to my mechanic - hopefully he can get it fixed. I've loved this car since we bought it in 2003 but I'm getting very tired of not knowing if it's going leave me stranded somewhere. The next car I buy will be a Honda or even a Kia but definitely not a Nissan!

- , Bassett, VA, USA

Sep 122012

Maxima SL 3.5L V6

JERKS WHEN SHIFTING

2004 NISSAN MAXIMA. SL 3.5 v6 also car shake when going over 65 mph.

- , Boston, MA, USA

Mar 012012

Maxima ES 3.2L V6

Got this Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 2004, and since I got it it has been my worst nightmare.... The transmission started going bad around one month after i purchased this vehicle at 113,000 miles, that was a year ago. It jumps into gear and jumps out of gear, I have had it towed twice and almost have been rear-ended countless times. Merging on the freeway is a pain, I can't get to proper speed because the car does not shift properly. Between 2nd and 3rd and between 3rd and 4th are the most problems. RMPS shoot up to 7000 and if it doesn't jump just right into the next gear, it slips off and slows the car way down. Imagine how many times I have been flipped off?. I have been to 4 different mechanics. All four told me it's the valves in the transmission and the transmission needed to be changed, one laughed at me when I told him the car I was having troubles with. He said those are the most common in his shop and the most expensive. Parts alone are $2000-$3000 not including labor! I always dreamed on having this car and now I HATE THIS CAR!!!! I HATE NISSAN MOTORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I HATE THEIR MECHANICS ARE A RIPOFF.If you are planing on buying a car and have any type of a brain, do yourself a favor and avoid this car. Take local transportation if you have to. THIS IS JUST ONE OF THE PROBLEMS STILL I NEED TO COMPLAINT ON THE WINDOW MOTORS FRONT PASSENGER AND DRIVER HAS BEEN BLOWN OFF, 4 MOTOR MOUNTS CRACKED AND HAD TO BE REPLACED, AIR CONDITION WORKS WHEN IT FEELS LIKE IT, HEATING SEATS NOT WORKING AND MUCH MORE. WITH ALL THE MONEY I HAVE SPENT IN THIS CAR I COULD HAVE BOUGHT MYSE3LD A BRAND NEW MERCEDES!!! I WILL FILE A REPORT ON EACH INDIVIDUAL PROBLEM.

- , Elizabeth, NJ, USA

Dec 312012

Maxima SE V6

I have read customers complaints about the 2004 Maxima, and it's sad that we the customer trusted Nissan when stated they stand by there name, and do nothing about a problem that they know is there. We as customers need Nissan to step up to the plate and take care of the problem. I have had Maxima's in the past and had no problems, but I must say Nissan has lost me as a customer after this 2004 Maxima.

- , Copperas Cove, TX, USA

Sep 162009

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

I love all of my Nissans. I own a 06 Titan, a 07 Altima, and a 04 Maxima. My 2004 Maxima jerks when it shifts both up and down. It's annoying. The experience is unlike anything I have experienced with any Nissan i have owned. The issue with my current Maxima has me extremely leery about purchasing another.

- , Decatur, IL, USA

Sep 132012

Maxima LS 3.2L V6

Awesome vehicle except the transmission failed very prematurely at about 83000 miles. Had to have the transmission valve assembly and the computer chip/sensor for the transmission replaced.

Blastedly expensive!