CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

8.3

$2,885.00

1. replace transmission (43 reports)
  3. the transmission valve body needs replacing (15 reports)
  4. replace broken motor mounts (3 reports)
  5. the errors were- 1.) faulty crankshaft position sensor, 2.) (3 reports)
  6. replace about 3/4 of your transmission fluid - NOT FILTER (2 reports)
2004 Nissan Maxima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Maxima:

2004 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Mar 012013

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

I have had the scare of my life. In heavy traffic , my 2004 Nissan Maxima transmission was knocking and slipping, had excessive high RPM's, and jerked heavily when shifting causing the car to "burn rubber". A rating severity of 10 is given due to having had 4 near miss (possible) accidents in a period of 20 minutes. The car was sent to the repair shop and items were replaced that the mechanic said would fix the problem (engine mounts). The car was driven again and displayed the same defects. The car manufacture was notified of these defects on 3/7/2013. These conditions pose a safety hazard not only to myself but also to my passengers (which are family and friends), other drivers on the road as well as innocent pedestrians that may come in contact with my car when I finally do have that serious life threatening accident due to my transmission defect. I recommended to the BBB that Nissan should recall the 2004 Nissan Maxima for transmission defect, offer its customers a suitable repair or replacement for diagnosing and repairing the transmission defect and the related damage that the defect caused, free of charge. I have owned a Nissan Maxima since 1988. Is there a remedy to this defect? I reported the transmission defect to the following companies: Nissan, ODI/NHTSA/DOT, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 072013

Maxima SE V6

Just bought a burnt orange 2004 nissan maxima. The car has stopped twice on me on the highway for no reason. It jerks significantly when changing gears abd is a pain. I just bought this car!!! In looking into research there is a class action lawsuit against nissan about their trannys in 2004 to 2006 models. Just had to let you all know. THERE IS A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT GO GET YOUR CARS FIXED OR GET ON BOARD SO YOU CAN BE COMPENSATED FOR THE OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES!!!!!

- , 221 Sunnyglen Dr Greer, SC, USA

May 012013

Maxima SE

I'm pissed the car inspection is due along with everything else. insurance tags, and to top it off my son's prom is next month and I need the car for him to go and return. not to mention paying for his suit, ticket, pictures... I'm still paying for the car. haven't had it for a year and I only make 600.00 every two weeks. after I pay this car off I'm getting rid of it and I will not purchase a Nissan ever again and I will be sure to tell friends the same.

- , Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA

Oct 012012

Maxima

I'm so glad to hear other people are having the same problem I've been having with my 2004 Maxima transmission. It seems to only happen when I'm driving it - husband drives it nothing; mechanic drives it nothing - and I was beginning to think it was in my head until I found this website. I have so many similarities from other complaints - jerking HARD from reverse to drive; driving long distances, shifting hard on the highway,etc. I drive about 25 miles to work and every morning when I park it does the jerk thing. Just last week my mechanic changed the o2 sensor because the "service engine soon" light came on. I was so excited because I thought surely that was the problem but it wasn't. Drove it to work the next morning and bang - jerking! I also smell a hot smell when I park and get out - does anyone else have this problem? I think it all has to be related since I didn't smell it until the transmission started jerking. I've printed all the possible "fixes" and the complaints and I'm taking them to my mechanic - hopefully he can get it fixed. I've loved this car since we bought it in 2003 but I'm getting very tired of not knowing if it's going leave me stranded somewhere. The next car I buy will be a Honda or even a Kia but definitely not a Nissan!

- , Bassett, VA, USA

Sep 122012

Maxima SL 3.5L V6

JERKS WHEN SHIFTING

2004 NISSAN MAXIMA. SL 3.5 v6 also car shake when going over 65 mph.

- , Boston, MA, USA

Mar 012012

Maxima ES 3.2L V6

Got this Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 2004, and since I got it it has been my worst nightmare.... The transmission started going bad around one month after i purchased this vehicle at 113,000 miles, that was a year ago. It jumps into gear and jumps out of gear, I have had it towed twice and almost have been rear-ended countless times. Merging on the freeway is a pain, I can't get to proper speed because the car does not shift properly. Between 2nd and 3rd and between 3rd and 4th are the most problems. RMPS shoot up to 7000 and if it doesn't jump just right into the next gear, it slips off and slows the car way down. Imagine how many times I have been flipped off?. I have been to 4 different mechanics. All four told me it's the valves in the transmission and the transmission needed to be changed, one laughed at me when I told him the car I was having troubles with. He said those are the most common in his shop and the most expensive. Parts alone are $2000-$3000 not including labor! I always dreamed on having this car and now I HATE THIS CAR!!!! I HATE NISSAN MOTORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I HATE THEIR MECHANICS ARE A RIPOFF.If you are planing on buying a car and have any type of a brain, do yourself a favor and avoid this car. Take local transportation if you have to. THIS IS JUST ONE OF THE PROBLEMS STILL I NEED TO COMPLAINT ON THE WINDOW MOTORS FRONT PASSENGER AND DRIVER HAS BEEN BLOWN OFF, 4 MOTOR MOUNTS CRACKED AND HAD TO BE REPLACED, AIR CONDITION WORKS WHEN IT FEELS LIKE IT, HEATING SEATS NOT WORKING AND MUCH MORE. WITH ALL THE MONEY I HAVE SPENT IN THIS CAR I COULD HAVE BOUGHT MYSE3LD A BRAND NEW MERCEDES!!! I WILL FILE A REPORT ON EACH INDIVIDUAL PROBLEM.

- , Elizabeth, NJ, USA

Dec 312012

Maxima SE V6

I have read customers complaints about the 2004 Maxima, and it's sad that we the customer trusted Nissan when stated they stand by there name, and do nothing about a problem that they know is there. We as customers need Nissan to step up to the plate and take care of the problem. I have had Maxima's in the past and had no problems, but I must say Nissan has lost me as a customer after this 2004 Maxima.

- , Copperas Cove, TX, USA

Sep 162009

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

I love all of my Nissans. I own a 06 Titan, a 07 Altima, and a 04 Maxima. My 2004 Maxima jerks when it shifts both up and down. It's annoying. The experience is unlike anything I have experienced with any Nissan i have owned. The issue with my current Maxima has me extremely leery about purchasing another.

- , Decatur, IL, USA

Sep 132012

Maxima LS 3.2L V6

Awesome vehicle except the transmission failed very prematurely at about 83000 miles. Had to have the transmission valve assembly and the computer chip/sensor for the transmission replaced.

Blastedly expensive!

- , Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Jul 112012

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

NISSIAN REALLY NEEDS TO RECALL TRANSMISSION ALWAYS FELT NISSAN HAD A GOOD PRODUCT

UNTIL I BOUGHT THIS ONE. IT SETS IN GARAGE I THINK IT TO BE UNSAFE PICKS OF SPEED THAN

JERKS THE TRANSMISSION IS NOT SLIPPING IT IS A SPEED CONTROL PROBLEM TELLING THE MOTOR

TO SPEED UP OR DOWN CAUSING THE PROBLEM

- , Waynesboro, VA, USA

Jan 122013

Maxima SE 3.5L

HI TO ALL OWNERS OF 2004 NISSAN MAXIMA.I OWN A 2004 NISSAN MAXIMA WITH 71920 MILES WE ALL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, SUCH AS Transmission JERKING, MOTOR MOUNT, SENSORS, etc. etc. etc.

THANKS TO JOHNIL FROM PARK RIDGE IL. HE PROVIDED THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION: TO CALL THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION, U.S DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION, PLEASE CALL 888-327-4236 AND FILE A COMPLAINT, IT TAKE ONLY FEW MINUTES TO FILE THE COMPLAINT.

ALSO JOHNIL HAD MENTIONED TO CALL THE LAW FIRM OF CHIMICLES & TIKELLIS LLP. @ ONE HAVERFORD CENTER. 361 WEST LANCASTER AVE. HAVERFORD PA. 19041 PHONE 610-645-4712

NISSAN SHOULD TAKE CARE OF THIS PROBLEM

- , Granada Hills, CA, USA

Nov 062012

Maxima

For about a year the car 'bangs' into gear after being driven for 10+ min. The warranty was up so Nissan said I was On my own. I had to pay $1,200 for my transmission to get fixed when it was under 100,000 miles! This is the last time I will ever buy a Nissan!

- , Holbrook, NY, USA

Jun 202012

Maxima ES V6

We bought this car expecting it to be a long lasting dependable car. Respected the name Nissan as being long lasting and dependable!!!!!! We are very disappointed in the transmission of this car. We started having big problems with jerking and hesitating and recently completely stalled while driving.I have seen lots of complaints about the transmissions in the 2004 Maxima. My opinion is that there should be a recall !!!!

- , Albertville, AL, USA

Feb 012012

Hi everyone

I purchased a used 2004 Maxima and the transmission jerks from 3rd to 2nd to 1st.

It doenst slip at all but this problem is created by the Valve Body. Some other owners have stated that is a mayor problem on all Maximas 2004-2005. All the Motor Mounts are new and the problem still bothers,

There is a Shop i n Long Island NY that has fixed this issue as found in a Maxima forum. My plan is to take myCar to them to replace the VALVE BODY since they have resolve the problem for around $650.00.

- , Mount Laurel, NJ, USA

Mar 052012

Maxima

Apparently this is a problem for most 2004 Nissan Maxima cars. I wish they would really decide what needs to be done to fix this, and possibly recall the transmission.

- , St. Louis, MO, USA

Aug 012012

Maxima SE 3.5L

I CANNOT BELIEVE THERE ARE NO RECALLS ON THE TRANSMISSIONS ON THESE MAXIMAS. I WENT TO THE NISSAN DEALERSHIP HERE IN BEVERLY, THEY TOLD ME IT WAS $110.00 DIAGNOSTIC FEE JUST TO TELL ME WHAT I ALREADY KNOW. THIS IS FRIGIN AWFUL!!

Update from Sep 17, 2012: THIS IS WHAT I RECIEVED FROM NISSAN................................. 9/17/2012

Case # 9454983 VIN # 1N4BA41E84C905376

2004 Nissan Maxima

Dear MS McGlone,

Thank you for contacting Nissan North America, Inc. and allowing us the opportunity to assist you.

A review of our records indicates that the above-referenced vehicle is not currently involved in any recalls or service campaigns.

Please be advised that all recall and service campaign information is vehicle identification number specific, depending on the manufacturing date and the plant where the vehicle was assembled. Therefore not all models are subject to the same recalls.

Furthermore, Nissan North America receives, closely monitors, and assesses vehicle data from a variety of sources.

When deciding on a safety recall, Nissan considers a variety of factors and how they relate to the applicable Fedral Law.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) oversees all recalls, including any Voluntary Recall conducted by Nissan.

If you are still experiencing an issue with your vehicle, please contact your local Nissan dealer and schedule an appointment, as the dealer is in the best position to diagnose and repair your vehicle. Your Nissan dealer will be more than willing to assist.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please call Nissan Consumer Affairs at 1-800-647-7261 and reference your case number.

Sincerely,

Nissan North America, Inc.

Jaime Bello Consumer Affairs Representative Nissan Consumer Affairs

HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN???

- , Beverly, MA, USA

May 142012

Maxima 3.2L V6

I was told that changing the mounts would fix the problem but it didn't :( I have maintain my vehicle up with its needs so and don't have a lot of miles on it for it to not work or suddenly need a transmission changed

- , Sylmar, CA, USA

Jul 012012

Maxima SL 3.5L V6

Having same problems as the others and something needs to be done to fix this issue. When the transmission shifts after it has warmed up it shifts hard into drive,with a "thud" then it drives fine from then on, but i know this is only going to get worse if i don't have it taken care of now. That, would probably explain why cars are having problems with the broken motor mounts. Because of the transmission shifting so hard it's causing the motor mounts to break. And this is just an excuse for not addressing the real problem because they know you will have to bring it back to them or go some where to get it fixed and they make money off of you either way cause you have to buy the parts. I took mine to the shop and they gave me a price of $1500 to $3500 depending on what they found once inside the transmission. I've dealt with Nissan before on an 05 Murano I owned, the AWD, engaged on dry surface for no reason while my wife was driving busting the transfer case on the vehicle take it to dealership, mine you now it's still under warrenty they wouldn't cover it they said it was impact damage to the transfer case from the roadway. Based on the shop, Manager looking at a piece of plastic that it's sole purpose is to protect the carriage underneath. But, anywho It cost me $4000.00 and they had it over a month. So, I'm with everyone else on this something needs to be done to hold them accountable for this problem.(s Before, people get hurt or loose there lives behind these issues. If it hadn't already happened!!!

- , Shawnee, OK, USA

Nov 012011

Maxima SE 3.2L V6

same as all the other 2004 Maxima owners, the transmission should be recalled on this vehicle

- , Mt. Juliet, TN, USA

Mar 212012

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

Why hasn't anything been done to hold Nissan accountable for this transmission problem? It's my understanding that the model transmission #RE5F22A that is in my Maxima is also in certain Volvo models and Saturn models, different numbers of course. I've done research on this transmission and there is a faulty sensor that either fails or works but not as designed. Bottom line is the fluid does not get to where it needs to be fast enough which creates the trans to overheat. My symptoms were the same as the ones I'm reading from others, hard shifting to finally failing completely. I need to get it fixed but to replace/rebuilt with the same transmission is not acceptable. Nissan needs to replace this transmission all together. Fixing the sensor is an idea but I've lost all trust with this transmission. Do i assume a recall is in the works? Can i go to small claims court?

- , Ontario, CA, USA