CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

8.3

$2,723.00

1. replace transmission (68 reports)
  3. the transmission valve body needs replacing (18 reports)
  4. replace broken motor mounts (6 reports)
  5. the errors were- 1.) faulty crankshaft position sensor, 2.) (3 reports)
  6. replace about 3/4 of your transmission fluid - NOT FILTER (2 reports)
2004 Nissan Maxima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Maxima:

2004 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 5 of 8)

Dec 312012

Maxima SE V6

I have read customers complaints about the 2004 Maxima, and it's sad that we the customer trusted Nissan when stated they stand by there name, and do nothing about a problem that they know is there. We as customers need Nissan to step up to the plate and take care of the problem. I have had Maxima's in the past and had no problems, but I must say Nissan has lost me as a customer after this 2004 Maxima.

- , Copperas Cove, TX, US

Sep 162009

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

I love all of my Nissans. I own a 06 Titan, a 07 Altima, and a 04 Maxima. My 2004 Maxima jerks when it shifts both up and down. It's annoying. The experience is unlike anything I have experienced with any Nissan i have owned. The issue with my current Maxima has me extremely leery about purchasing another.

- , Decatur, IL, US

Sep 132012

Maxima LS 3.2L V6

Awesome vehicle except the transmission failed very prematurely at about 83000 miles. Had to have the transmission valve assembly and the computer chip/sensor for the transmission replaced.

Blastedly expensive!

- , Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Jul 112012

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

NISSIAN REALLY NEEDS TO RECALL TRANSMISSION ALWAYS FELT NISSAN HAD A GOOD PRODUCT

UNTIL I BOUGHT THIS ONE. IT SETS IN GARAGE I THINK IT TO BE UNSAFE PICKS OF SPEED THAN

JERKS THE TRANSMISSION IS NOT SLIPPING IT IS A SPEED CONTROL PROBLEM TELLING THE MOTOR

TO SPEED UP OR DOWN CAUSING THE PROBLEM

Update from Apr 29, 2015: MY NISSIAN IS A NICE CAR OTHER THAN THE JERKING WHILE SHIFTING I THINK NISSIAN SHOULD BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS PROBLEM. MY WIFE WILL NOT DRIVE THE CAR BECAUSE OF THE JERKING

- , Waynesboro, VA, USA

Jan 122013

Maxima SE 3.5L

HI TO ALL OWNERS OF 2004 NISSAN MAXIMA.I OWN A 2004 NISSAN MAXIMA WITH 71920 MILES WE ALL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, SUCH AS Transmission JERKING, MOTOR MOUNT, SENSORS, etc. etc. etc.

THANKS TO JOHNIL FROM PARK RIDGE IL. HE PROVIDED THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION: TO CALL THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION, U.S DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION, PLEASE CALL 888-327-4236 AND FILE A COMPLAINT, IT TAKE ONLY FEW MINUTES TO FILE THE COMPLAINT.

ALSO JOHNIL HAD MENTIONED TO CALL THE LAW FIRM OF CHIMICLES & TIKELLIS LLP. @ ONE HAVERFORD CENTER. 361 WEST LANCASTER AVE. HAVERFORD PA. 19041 PHONE 610-645-4712

NISSAN SHOULD TAKE CARE OF THIS PROBLEM

- , Granada Hills, CA, USA

Nov 062012

Maxima

For about a year the car 'bangs' into gear after being driven for 10+ min. The warranty was up so Nissan said I was On my own. I had to pay $1,200 for my transmission to get fixed when it was under 100,000 miles! This is the last time I will ever buy a Nissan!

- , Holbrook, NY, US

Jun 202012

Maxima ES V6

We bought this car expecting it to be a long lasting dependable car. Respected the name Nissan as being long lasting and dependable!!!!!! We are very disappointed in the transmission of this car. We started having big problems with jerking and hesitating and recently completely stalled while driving.I have seen lots of complaints about the transmissions in the 2004 Maxima. My opinion is that there should be a recall !!!!

- , Albertville, AL, USA

Feb 012012

Hi everyone

I purchased a used 2004 Maxima and the transmission jerks from 3rd to 2nd to 1st.

It doenst slip at all but this problem is created by the Valve Body. Some other owners have stated that is a mayor problem on all Maximas 2004-2005. All the Motor Mounts are new and the problem still bothers,

There is a Shop i n Long Island NY that has fixed this issue as found in a Maxima forum. My plan is to take myCar to them to replace the VALVE BODY since they have resolve the problem for around $650.00.

- , Mount Laurel, NJ, USA

Mar 052012

Maxima

Apparently this is a problem for most 2004 Nissan Maxima cars. I wish they would really decide what needs to be done to fix this, and possibly recall the transmission.

- , St. Louis, MO, USA

Aug 012012

Maxima SE 3.5L

I CANNOT BELIEVE THERE ARE NO RECALLS ON THE TRANSMISSIONS ON THESE MAXIMAS. I WENT TO THE NISSAN DEALERSHIP HERE IN BEVERLY, THEY TOLD ME IT WAS $110.00 DIAGNOSTIC FEE JUST TO TELL ME WHAT I ALREADY KNOW. THIS IS FRIGIN AWFUL!!

Update from Sep 17, 2012: THIS IS WHAT I RECIEVED FROM NISSAN................................. 9/17/2012

Case # 9454983 VIN # 1N4BA41E84C905376

2004 Nissan Maxima

Dear MS McGlone,

Thank you for contacting Nissan North America, Inc. and allowing us the opportunity to assist you.

A review of our records indicates that the above-referenced vehicle is not currently involved in any recalls or service campaigns.

Please be advised that all recall and service campaign information is vehicle identification number specific, depending on the manufacturing date and the plant where the vehicle was assembled. Therefore not all models are subject to the same recalls.

Furthermore, Nissan North America receives, closely monitors, and assesses vehicle data from a variety of sources.

When deciding on a safety recall, Nissan considers a variety of factors and how they relate to the applicable Fedral Law.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) oversees all recalls, including any Voluntary Recall conducted by Nissan.

If you are still experiencing an issue with your vehicle, please contact your local Nissan dealer and schedule an appointment, as the dealer is in the best position to diagnose and repair your vehicle. Your Nissan dealer will be more than willing to assist.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please call Nissan Consumer Affairs at 1-800-647-7261 and reference your case number.

Sincerely,

Nissan North America, Inc.

Jaime Bello Consumer Affairs Representative Nissan Consumer Affairs

HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN???

- , Beverly, MA, USA

May 142012

Maxima 3.2L V6

I was told that changing the mounts would fix the problem but it didn't :( I have maintain my vehicle up with its needs so and don't have a lot of miles on it for it to not work or suddenly need a transmission changed

- , Sylmar, CA, USA

Jul 012012

Maxima SL 3.5L V6

Having same problems as the others and something needs to be done to fix this issue. When the transmission shifts after it has warmed up it shifts hard into drive,with a "thud" then it drives fine from then on, but i know this is only going to get worse if i don't have it taken care of now. That, would probably explain why cars are having problems with the broken motor mounts. Because of the transmission shifting so hard it's causing the motor mounts to break. And this is just an excuse for not addressing the real problem because they know you will have to bring it back to them or go some where to get it fixed and they make money off of you either way cause you have to buy the parts. I took mine to the shop and they gave me a price of $1500 to $3500 depending on what they found once inside the transmission. I've dealt with Nissan before on an 05 Murano I owned, the AWD, engaged on dry surface for no reason while my wife was driving busting the transfer case on the vehicle take it to dealership, mine you now it's still under warrenty they wouldn't cover it they said it was impact damage to the transfer case from the roadway. Based on the shop, Manager looking at a piece of plastic that it's sole purpose is to protect the carriage underneath. But, anywho It cost me $4000.00 and they had it over a month. So, I'm with everyone else on this something needs to be done to hold them accountable for this problem.(s Before, people get hurt or loose there lives behind these issues. If it hadn't already happened!!!

- , Shawnee, OK, USA

Nov 012011

Maxima SE 3.2L V6

same as all the other 2004 Maxima owners, the transmission should be recalled on this vehicle

- , Mt. Juliet, TN, USA

Mar 212012

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

Why hasn't anything been done to hold Nissan accountable for this transmission problem? It's my understanding that the model transmission #RE5F22A that is in my Maxima is also in certain Volvo models and Saturn models, different numbers of course. I've done research on this transmission and there is a faulty sensor that either fails or works but not as designed. Bottom line is the fluid does not get to where it needs to be fast enough which creates the trans to overheat. My symptoms were the same as the ones I'm reading from others, hard shifting to finally failing completely. I need to get it fixed but to replace/rebuilt with the same transmission is not acceptable. Nissan needs to replace this transmission all together. Fixing the sensor is an idea but I've lost all trust with this transmission. Do i assume a recall is in the works? Can i go to small claims court?

- , Ontario, CA, US

May 232012

Maxima ES 3.2L V6

Nissan really needs to fix their problem,it's not ours it's theirs because they have been selling these cars knowing that they have a gang of them with valve body/transmission problems. People think the world of nissan cars.it's so unfair for a person to have to try and repair the problem 'that cost anywhere between $ 3000 to $3500 and you still have a car note like myself. Get it together Nissan do the right thing have a recall and solve the problem that you created!!

- , Byram, MS, USA

Apr 092012

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

rebuild or replace transmission REPLACE MOTOR MOUNTS also had crankshaft code. still jerks a lot less than before. it sucks because i still owe 5,000 on this car. would love to trade or sell just to rid myself of the problem. it would be worth me taking the loss now.

- , Levittown, PA, USA

Aug 092011

Maxima SL 3.5L V6

I notice my car start to jerk when decelerating at low end (2nd to 1st) gear and some hesitation when in park and changing gears. I took it to the dealership. It was diagnosed as 2 broken motor mounts. i checked on line to see how prevalent broken motor mounts were on this model car. what i found i was an overwhelming number of reported issues with this model's transmissions. i was of my extended warranty. i wrote a letter to nissan. they ended up paying for the re-manned transmissions on a 7 yr old car which says to me, Nissan knows how bad this problem is (although I was ecstatic that they replaced mine for free)...next problem is now the timing gear

- , Greensboro, NC, USA

Oct 142010

Maxima SE 3.5L

I purchase my 04 maxima brand new and was very proud of it. My first foreign car,i thought my worries was over as far as major mechanical work goes,until my transmission start acting an ass, jerking, not movin at all,and now shaking and stalling when driving for a long period of time.Got the crankshaft sensor replace and some other sensor replace. The car ran so so afterwards,now this is around 100,000 miles "Not a Nissan i thought to myself" . To make a long story short something really needs to be done about this issue from the manufacturer,$35,000 was money i thought was well spent and worth the investment damn was i wrong ,make it right Nissan!"Recall this problem.

- , Charlotte, NC, US

May 172012

Maxima SE 3.5L

I am financing this car. I have had it for two days, unfortunately I was forced to purchase from a buy here pay here facility that offers no warranty. 10 minutes (2 city blocks) after pulling off the lot the car started jerking every time I stop and go. The bearings have been changed as well as the transmission mount, to no avail the car is still jerking. I have read other complaints on this site and it appears this is a manufacture problem but Nissan is not honoring it! That sucks! I am the mother of eight I can't afford to purchase a new transmission or pay 3-4000 dollars. I am really surprised that NIssan is not standing behind their product!

- , McDonough, GA, USA

Sep 072011

Maxima

My Maxima would jolt when passing through (up or down)accelerating or slowing through the 15-20mi per hr. I thought someone had rear ended me

NISSAN NEEDS TO RECALL THIS PROBLEM. ALL 2004 NISSAN MAXIMAS HAVE THIS PROBLEM. IF YOU REPORT IT TO THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU WE CAN HAVE NISSAN RECALL AND FIX THIS PROBLEM. IF BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU RECEIVES THREE COMPLAINTS ALL OF THESE MAXIMAS WILL BE RECALLED AND NISSAN WILL FIX IT. SO GO ONLINE TO BBB (BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU) MAKE A COMPLAINT AND LETS MAKE SURE NO ONE ELSE GETS A CRAPPY MAXIMA AND GET OUR CARS FIXED TOO

If anyone feel like joining me call this number to report your problem to the vehicle consumers agency 1-888-327-4236.

We need to get this vehicle recalled, there are tons of complaints about the transmission going out.

There is a law firm that has filed a class action lawsuit again Nissan regarding the transmissions. The name of the firm is: CHIMICLES & TIKELLIS LLP

One Haverford Centre