CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

8.2

$2,611.00

1. replace transmission (68 reports)
  3. the transmission valve body needs replacing (18 reports)
  4. replace broken motor mounts (6 reports)
  5. replace about 3/4 of your transmission fluid - NOT FILTER (3 reports)
  6. the errors were- 1.) faulty crankshaft position sensor, 2.) (3 reports)
2004 Nissan Maxima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Maxima:

2004 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 7 of 9)

Sep 302011

Maxima LS 3.5L

I AM HAVING THE SAME ISSUES AS MANY OTHER 2004 NISSAN MAXIMA OWNERS. THE ISSUE HAS TO DO WITH THE TRANSMISSION FAILING AND THE DEALER CHARGING OVER $5,000.00 TO REPLACE IT. NISSAN KNOWS THESE TRANSMISSIONS ARE DEFECTIVE AND THEY ARE NOT DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT. THEY ARE NOT CONSIDERING THE HUGE RISK FACTOR FOR PEOPLE DRIVING THESE CARS OF HAVING AN ACCIDENT DUE TO THE MALFUNCTIONING OF THE TRANSMISSIONS. THE TRANSMISSION WILL NOT DOWNSHIFT OR UPSHIFT PROPERLY IN MANY INSTANCES LIKE STOPPING IN A TRAFFIC LIGHT, GOING UPHILL OR EVEN JUST CRUISING. THE CONCERN IS THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE THAT ARE HAVING THE SAME ISSUE AND THE UNNECESSARY EXPOSURE TO AN ACCIDENT. THANK YOU

- , mooresville, NC, USA

Oct 022011

Maxima 3.5L V6

I bought my Nissan Maxima back in February. About a month after buying, the transmission started jerking. Every time the car switched gears it would jerk. Now it's October. I've put over $5,000 on that car. it needed it new O2 sensors, so that was about $900. Then another time the car stopped in the middle of the road when I was driving it. Nissan told me they didn't know why the car wouldn't start but it MIGHT need a new computer. I got them to install a new computer for 1,500$ but guess what, the car still didn't start!! so then they told me they would have to rewire the car for another $2,000. I said no thank you and took the car to another guy who fixed for $980. It starts and runs now. But it still needs a new transmission. There are times when the car drives smooth and then BOOM it'll just jerk and pull really hard. I've almost gotten so used to it that i know the exact moment that it will start to jerk. Nissan sucks but i still love my car. I'm going to try and get the new transmission and hopefully that'll be it.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 152011

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

I PURCHASED MY 2004 NISSAN MAXIMA IN 07/2004 BRAND NEW AND WITHIN 6 MONTHS THE TRANSMISSION WAS NEEDING TO BE REPLACED. THANK GOD IT WAS UNDER WARRANTY AT THAT TIME. TWO YEARS AGO I HAD THE MOTOR MOUNTS REPLACED BECAUSE OF JERKING AND NOW 07/2011 THE JERKING HAS BEGUN AGAIN...... I WENT TO A TRANSMISSION SHOP HE RAN A DIAGNOSTIC TEST AND SAID IT'S NOT MY TRANSMISSION. THEN I WENT TO ANOTHER CREDIBLE AUTO SHOP AND THEY SAID I HAVE (2) BROKEN MOTOR MOUNTS WHICH NEED TO BE REPLACED, $600 WITH PARTS / LABOR COMBINED.

EVERYDAY I DRIVE TO WORK I FEEL SO UNSAFE.... MOSTLY ON THE WAY HOME AFTER DRIVING APPROXIMATELY 1 HOUR, GOING UP THE 60 FWY EASTBOUND BEFORE REACHING THE I-215 HWY, I FEEL THE JERKING AND SHIFTING OF GEARS IF IM GOING UP THE ON-RAMP, HOW EMBARRASSING. I SOMETIMES PULL OVER TO THE SIDE AND LET OTHER CARS GO BY ME. I'M A SINGLE MOM RAISING 2 DAUGHTERS, ONE TO GRADUATE THIS YEAR AND I DON'T HAVE THE EXTRA MONEY TO REPAIR MY VEHICLE. WE NEED TO BAND TOGETHER NISSAN OWNERS AND COMPLAIN TO RECALL THIS VEHICLES AND IT'S ONGOING PROBLEMS. I'M GLAD I'M NOT CRAZY AND NOT ALONE, BUT CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE TO GO FIX IT FOR LESS? I'M AFRAID OF SHADY MECHANICS. A FRIEND SAID HE CAN GET THE MOTOR MOUNTS FOR $85-FRONT/$110 FOR TRANSMISSION MOTOR MOUNT-FRONT LEFT. BUT SOME TESTIMONIES SAY THEY GOT THE MOUNTS FIXED, BUT STILL HAD THE JERKING! IM NOW TERRIFIED AT WASTING MY MONEY....I WOULD TRADE IT IN, BUT WE DON'T GET MUCH, SAD TO SAY...... ANY ADVICE FOR ME? APPRECIATED

- , Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Mar 072011

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

Might as well add one more name to the long list of 04 Maxmia owners with transmission problems. I bought this car because of the "quality" product Nissan was known for. A great award winning V6 with a crap transmission. I have the same hard shifting along with a great quality THUNK when put in reverse. I had been told this car would last forever and known people with older models still driving them with no problems. Here I have a car barely with 50,000 miles and I am told I need a new transmission.

I should have stuck with GM or Ford everyone I had I sold had over 150,000 miles. I wish now more than ever that deer would not have totaled my Buick or would not have seen that great looking Maxmia. I would not even complain if Nissan would HONOR (aren't the Japanese known for that?) the problem and replace it. Nissan stand behind your product and maybe get some loyal customers! I may try Toyota or Honda next maybe they are honorable.

- , Statesville, NC, USA

Apr 212010

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

Like many others my transmission jerks while shifting gears. Searched in the Forums especially for Maxima ( Maxima.org ) and Carcomplaints.com and NHTSA.com and found out that many others are experiencing the same problem at this mileage ( Mine is 87000 ). I have all the service records and Transmission Fluid has been changed regularly. ECM and TCM was upgraded couple of months back. Nissan should do something about it, this is a fault at the transmission design. So many customer complaints can not be wrong.

- , Torrance, CA, USA

Oct 122011

Maxima SE V6

I am truly pissed to have a nice car like this to be acting up. I haven't had the car 6 months and its jerking & have a winding sound. Then they want to charge all this money to repair it. just don't make any sense.

- , McRae, GA, USA

May 232011

Maxima SE 3.5L

Don't know why this is happening. need a recall on it...

- , jackson hts, ny, canada

Nov 012010

Maxima 3.5L

I purchased my 2004 Nissan Maxima at Lexus of Rockville Center in 2007. It had 24K miles on it or so, and it seemed to be a very good buy at the time. Fast forwarding, at around 75k miles or so, I started getting issues with the car, there is jerking and hesitating when the car is shifting. Asking mechanics that I know, they are advising that I get a new transmission. However, after researching a little further, there is insight that is suggesting other wise.

I even had a certified Nissan Dealer diagnose it recently to see what they would say. $100 later, I was advised that the transmission needs to be replaced, and the oil is burnt. This is after having the transmission serviced (oil change, etc).

It is safe to say that this is the worst experience that I ever had with a car. American cars have been ridiculed in the past, but I never had a transmission problem with an American car. In fact, I had a 1981 Chrysler Cordobra and a 1987 Chrysler New Yorker, and they ran very well in to the 90 and 100K mile range. I will definitely advise that people refrain from buying a Nissan product until this problem is resolved. There is no reason why people should be making car payments and having their car running like this. Totally rediculous.

- , Elmont, NY, USA

Apr 022009

Maxima 3.5L

Hi everyone, The Nissan Max was my dream car for years but my dream became a nightmare. This is my first post on this message board and I wish I had known about it sooner. really haven't had or experienced any issues with my vehicle and maintain it well from the dealership. however, recently I had an issue with my Max where it started to jerk in and out of gear - the check engine light would turn on and off while at a stop sign or light. It felt really shifty when I would accelerate.

So the same day it was acting funny I called and brought it to the dealership. they said they would run some diagnostics/testing and find out what is causing the problem.

they then called a few hours later to tell me that the transmission is in need of a partial rebuild-specifically the replacement is the valve body of the transmission and its going to cost approx. $2,200 to fix.

so they know this and have a good history on everything with the vehicle. I was putting in a claim at the consumer affairs office because they were initially declining the goodwill; I know have them paying for about 1,500 of the repair work.

My question to everyone is that do you know or have you experienced issues with the transmission failing? at 67K and for a well-maintained vehicle, this doesn't sound right to me at all? not sure why this happened, but I felt nissan should have taken care of this 100%-even the service person at the dealership told me that this is out of the norm for this to happen and he seemed to side with me.

any comments?

thanks everyone.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, US

Aug 252010

Maxima

NISSAN NEEDS TO RECALL THIS PROBLEM. ALL 2004 NISSAN MAXIMAS HAVE THIS PROBLEM. IF U REPORT IT TO THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU WE CAN HAVE NISSAN RECALL AND FIX THIS PROBLEM. IF BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU RECEIVES THREE COMPLAINTS ALL OF THESE MAXIMAS WILL BE RECALLED AND NISSAN WILL FIX IT. SO GO ONLINE TO BBB (BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU) MAKE A COMPLAINT AND LETS MAKE SURE NO ONE ELSE GETS A CRAPPY MAXIMA AND GET OUR CARS FIXED TOO

- , Kissimmee, FL, USA

Aug 012011

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

Loved my Maxima until the transmission problems occurred. Started whenever the car was hot, shift from Reverse to drive, hesitation then a heavy slam as the transmission kicked in. Read about all the complaints online (some sites had over 400 complaints). Took it to a dealer who said he could count on One Hand the number of transmission problems that had come through and not to believe what I read. He also tried to tell me that Nissan didn't sell the parts to fix it and to go to a Transmission specialist!!

Contacted Nissan Canada and they made it very difficult to lodge a complaint and didn't have answers. After escalating it through Marketing person at Nissan I had an apology and was told they would try to see if they could take care of the problem. After that I had to follow up (instead of the promised phone call) and was told I was out warranty and out of luck.

My mechanic changed out the valve body assembly 2 weeks ago and it has been running great ever since then.

Not impressed with Nissan as this is clearly a recall item.

- , Mississauga, ON, canada

Jul 082010

Maxima SL V6

I am so surprised to see all the complaints against Nissan. I thought I was alone I have been taken my damn car back and forth to all mechanics to see if I could get the problem resolved and I have spent money out of the ass. At first I had the transmission filter change with all the fixings. The car still jerked, then I was told I need motor monunts I had them put on the front and the back so they say. And it continued to happen, overall I have spent at least 2,000 or more on this damn car. I cant believe there is no solution to this problem one damn thing for sure I will not ever purchase another Nissan as long as I live. I have not had the car check over a year and it still does the jerking thing. I am refuse to put any more money in this vechicle. After completely paying for the damn car this is what the hell happens. I am sick to my stomach after reading all the complants.

- , Camden, AL, USA

Aug 152011

Maxima LS V6

ok back to the transmission place thinking its my transmission. car still jerking and not wanting to get past 20 mph. service engine light on. ok they tell me cam sensor. got that fixed. now the car still jerks, cuts off if you don't give it gas, and engine light still on...

Update from Jan 1, 2012: thought my transmission was slipping. dealt with it for awhile until it became evident that something need it to be fixed. because at first the jerking didnt happen often. took it to the shop and was told it was nothing with the transmission. was told to take it to nissan were they told me it was my motor mounts. got that fixed and continued to have the same problem. the car never jerked when i drove the 25 miles back to the nissan place so they could recheck it.

- , Springfield, OH, USA

Aug 142010

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

Nice car from the outside. Rides like a rock even after spending money on new OEM shocks. Nway thats not my problem but that Damn Transmission they put on these cars. Slips and kicks when shifing. When the car warms up or the engine is hot, the problem is worse. I drive 25 miles one way to work. Problem starts at about 19 miles.

I have been a faithfull Maxima owner. 1988 Maxima with adjustable suspensions nice car, 1993 maxima 4DSC (4 door sports car) loved it. 1997 maxima SE fully loaded, drove from Boston to Seattle in 2 days with over 160000 miles on the engine, awsome. 2000 maxima 20th anniversary edition, bought this one brand new and sold it at 102000 miles never had a major problem.

Here came the 2004 Maxima. The bain of the my faithfullness. Today is June10th 2011. I dropped it off at a transmission shop for a rebulit on March 25th 2011. Two months 16 days and counting. Paid $2800.00 at a very reputable shop. The car is unfixable. PERIOD. UNFIXABLE. You cannot put a replacement trans because it will have the same problem. Rebuildable parts do not work. The shop has gone through 5 valve bodys. And they cannot get the car to shift right. The shop is paying for a rental that i am driving now for two months.

Have anyone checked the retail value, or trade in value for this car? STICKER SHOCK. Value is about the same as a 1998 Honda Accord. Beleive it.

NISSAN, You just lost one customer, not that i make a difference, but my posting will. I AM NEVER EVER BUYING NISSAN AGAIN. Before my problem i wanted the 2010. BUT NO. Lexus GS350 AWD. AMEN!!!

- , Kent, WA, USA

May 152011

Maxima SE

I had the transmission replaced in 2009. Now when I shift from reverse to drive it jumps. It feels like someone hit me from the back. This happens only after I drive for about 15 to 20 min.

I took it to Passport Nissan the same place that fix it before. They said I need a new transmission. I said you fix them 2 years ago how does this keep happening. They said I need a transmission and 3 motor mounts. My airconditioning hose is leaking fliud and needs to be replaced and recharged. I told them, they and Nissan are ripping people off there is no way all the people I have seen online complaining about their Nissan transmission that there in not a issue here. Nissan should be recalling and reimbursing people their expenses.

I have brought several cars in my life from Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Mitsubishi and Honda, never have I had this many problems with such small amount of miles on the car. I will never ever ever buy another Nissan. They could not give me one for free.

- , Upper Marlboro, MD, US

Jul 072010

Maxima SE

Got this Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 2004, and since I got it it has been my worst nightmare......No joke, I have bad dreams with this car. The transmission started going bad around 82,000 miles, that was a year ago. It jumps into gear and jumps out of gear, I have had it towed once and almost have been rear-ended countless times. Merging on the freeway is a pain, I can't get to proper speed because the car does not shift properly. Between 2nd and 3rd and between 3rd and 4th are the most problems. RMPS shoot up to 7000 and if it doesn't jump just right into the next gear, it slips off and slows the car way down. Imagine how many times I have been flipped off? I am filing a complaint with the national highway traffic safety administration. I have been to 3 mechanis, plus Nissan. All three told me it's the valves in the transmission, one laughed at me when I told him the car I was having troubles with. He said those are the most common in his shop and the most expensive. Parts alone are $2000-$3000 not including labor! Nissan only confirmed this price for me, but said it would be from $3500 to $4000 and $350 labor. I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE NISSAN MOTORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I HATE THEIR MECHANICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you are planing on buying a car and have any type of a brain, do yourself a favor and avoid this car. Take local transportation if you have to.

- , Herriman, UT, USA

May 142011

Maxima SE 3.5L

I have hear and read a lot of complaints about this car already makes me sick to know that always and all the time we comsumers are the victims of car companies mistake. How the heck Nissan still stands by and watch people spend their hard earned cash! This is ridiculous the car should definitely be recalled by now. I am filling my complaint come Monday. If anyone feel like joining me call this number to report your problem to the vehicle consumers agency 18883274236. We work hard for our money. Even after the warranty paid some money I am paying close to a grand from my pocket and still paying the car note. Wrong Nissan stop ripping us off and recall this car!

- , CRANSTON, RI, USA

Jun 302011

Maxima Limited

Do not buy a Nissan Maxima, My car began jerking in January. I took it to the nissan dealership to get it worked on & they said it was not jerking with them. They are playing the "it's not during it with them" game. I guess someone will have to get hurt or killed before there is a recall on these cars. I have purchased three nissan maxima in the past, I will never buy another one again they are not worth the price 30 grands or more

I AM BEGGING YOU, DO NOT BUY A NISSAN MAXIMA. LIKE I SAID I HAVE HAD THREE AND THIS IS THE WORST ONE I HAVE EVER HAD. I WOULD NOT HAVE SAID THAT A YEAR AGO. THIS ONE IS AWFUL.

- , Osceola, AR, USA

Mar 292011

Maxima SE 3.5L

bought the car 3 months ago from dealership with 3 month warrenty car had no problems at all took it to a nissan machanick to check it out after driving the car for 3 months or 15000 miles the car started to experience severe jerking and transmission slipping.. the engine would not go more then 19 miles and the rpms would jump to large numbers and slip tne car starts kicking and doesnt drive i have the 2004 nissan maxima 3.5se model with 5 sp automatick transmission this car has been great until this point but 80xxx miles is reediculous for this type of money this was my 5TH AND LASTTTT MAXIMA I AM EVER BYING THESE MANUFACTURES RUINED THE GUD NAME OF NISSAN AND ARE NOT DOING ANYTHING TO REPAIR THERE MISTAKES THIS TRANSMISSION IS COSTING ME 3500 NEW TO REPLACE ....

TAKE MY ADVICE PEOPLE DOOOO NOOTTTTT BUY A NISSAN $30K FOR THIS CAR AND TRANNY GOES AT 78XXX MILES BUYING BMW OR HYUNDAI FROM NOW ON I HAVE SEEN ENEOUGHT TO CHANGE MY MIND OVER 600 BAD REVIEWS AND NO ONE IS HAPPY WITH THESE CARS.. IM REALLY DISSAPOINTED IN WHAT HAPPEND AND NISSAN DOESNT WANNA DO ANYTHING TO RESOLVE THIS PRBLEM SO LET IT BE EVERYONE IN MY FAMILY HAD A NISSAN NOT ANYMORE.. ONLY A HASSEL AND TO MUCH MONEY FOR THIS GUALITY ..

THANKS ALOT PEOPLE AND I HOPE YOU WONT HAVE TO GO TREW THIS HASSEL THAT I HAD TO SO JUST WACH OUT FOR THESE NISSANS BECAUSE THEY ARE REALL TRASHHH!!!! AND THE MANUFACTURERS DONT CARE ABOUT US U CAN GET KILLED FROM A TRANSMISSION GLITCH AND THATS WHEN THEY WILL TRYYY TO DO SOMETHING IM REALLY DISSPOINTED IN A COMPANY THATI ONCE WAS A BIG FAN OFF.. PEOPLE WHAT I HAVE LEARNED IS CRAZY READ REVIEWS BEFORE YOU GUYS BUY CARS I PAID 12K FOR THIS CAR IN 2011 AND WITH 78XXX MILES THE TRANNY GOES DO NOT BUY MAXIMAS AND I WILL CONTINUE TO POST AND CONVINCE EVERYONE I KNOW TO STAYYY AWAYY FROMMM NISSANNNS FOR GOOD THEY DONT CARE ABOUIT US THERE IN THE BUSSINESS FOR THE MONEY I HOPE THIS ADVICE HELPED MANY OF YOU AND I HOPE NISSAN WILL TAKE BLAME FOR WHAT THEY MEST UP IN

- , Pawtucket, RI, USA

Oct 152010

Maxima

Took car in three times for transmission slipping and jerking. Dealer could not replicate. I told them that it did not happen until car warmed up. So they let it set on the lot for a few hours tried it for a few minutes and said nothing was wrong. The last time I made an appointment to have someone drive it immediately when I got there with the car warmed up. Now they saw the problem. After two hours of investigation they said my motor mounts were broken and needed to be replaced, $1500, and I know that won't fix it because it jerks when sitting still, at higher speeds and not consistently. The motor mounts are broken because of the lurching of the engine when the transmission shifts, not the other way around. The dealer said that there wasn't a TSB on that problem and they had never seen the problem before. A quick search on Google and they would have seen this is a major problem with the 2004 model but they are still playing the "we don't know about it" game so no responsibility taken by them. The good news is I did not get it repaired and my wife was just in an accident that may total the car. If so it won't be on the streets to annoy anyone else.

- , Colorado Springs, CO, US