CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2005 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Maxima:

2005 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 10 of 23)

Mar 162013

Maxima

When in low gears 1-2, 2-3 gears jerks. High rev then strong jerk. Felt like gears slipped. Car then became sluggish and would not power of 5mph. Check engine light came on. Had car checked code P0780 showed. Shift malfunction. This seems to be on going with Maxima 04-06. Recall must be called!!!!

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jul 022012

Maxima

Transmission started to shift rough, slip and make the engine rev high between shifts, this is known problem with this type of auto, mainly involving the transmission valve body and solenoids.

- Folsom, CA, USA

Mar 122013

Maxima 6-cyl

While accelerating from a stoplight to approximately 45mph on northwest expressway in Oklahoma city, the automatic transmission began shifting hard instead of the normal smooth shifting. It seemed as though it stuck momentarily or was even shifting down instead of up to the next gear. When I got on a residential street going at a slower speed, the transmission again shifted hard. The strange shifting happened again 2 days later while driving at a slow rate of speed. My husband looked at the transmission fluid on 3/12/13 and thought it appeared to be burnt looking. I took my car to fenton Nissan West in Oklahoma city on Friday, March 15, 2012 and explained the problem I was having. After keeping the car most of the day, we were informed they did not find anything wrong, but the transmission fluid is burnt, but did not change it as this could cause transmission problems. We were not charged anything & were told to wait on doing anything else as there may be recalls. This seemed strange since they originally told us they had not heard from other customers about the transmission problems I had described.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Feb 052013

Maxima

Transmission is bucking and jerking between gears. Car "slip" between gears while driving and causes the car to rev in neutral while driving and then suddenly "jump" into gear which causes the car to lunge forward suddenly.

- Oakland, NJ, USA

Aug 012012

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while traveling 40 mph, the vehicle downshifted independently. The contact also stated that the vehicle upshifted intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 121,000.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Sep 152012

Maxima 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle began to jerk and lunge abnormally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that he needed to change the engine oil. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. On subsequent visits to the dealer, the contact was provided several different diagnostic results, including changing the oil for a second time and to change the motor mounts. The vehicle was taken to a different dealer, who informed the contact that the transmission would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 63,000...updated 06/24/13

- Alhambra, CA, USA

Mar 072013

Maxima

Vehicle when shifting to 2nd 3rd gear jerks like a mule kick, and occasionally over revs ( gear slip) resulting in sudden loss of acceleration.

- San Jose , CA, USA

Jul 092012

Maxima 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle shifted abnormally hard and the vehicle would jerk when shifting between third and fourth gears. The vehicle would also shift abnormally hard when down shifting. The in addition, the vehicle would jump into second gear independently, causing the vehicle to suddenly accelerate. The vehicle sporadically halted to a stop without warning. The vehicle was neither diagnosed nor repaired. The failure mileage was 88,000 and the current mileage was 94,000.

- Islip Terrace, NY, USA

Jul 102010

Maxima 6-cyl

It all started on our way to the supermarket. We warm up the car in the morning when we were ready to leave and put in reverse it took a few seconds to go into gear but when it did the car shifted really hard. When we put it into drive it did the same thing. On our way to the store the car took a few seconds to shift into every gear and would shift really hard when it did so. From that point we took the car for its check up with the mechanic were he did an oil change, tune up and service the transmission upon telling him what the transmission was doing he said that the transmission was messing up and that Nissan had a bad reputation with transmissions going bad prematurely and that he had repaired many Nissan of the same year if not newer because of transmission problems. He advise us that after servicing the transmission the problem may or may not go away (our transmission was serviced every 15,000-20,000 prior to problem). We continued to drive the car the transmission finally gave out at 142,864 miles. The transmission was rebuilt by a reputable shop on 7/09/2010 using Nissan factory parts was given a warranty of one year. Everything worked fine until Dec. 24, 2012 when we went to pick up my brother from the airport and the same thing started to happen as we stated above. We continued to drive the car but very minimal and not very far or not at all until February 19, 2013 at 219,862 miles and 76,998 miles later the transmission went out again for the second time and since we only have one car we were forced to get a loan and repair it again. And $6000 later we are scared for a third incident. I hope this matter gets resolved and Nissan agrees to compensate the cost.

- Hesperia , CA, USA

Sep 132012

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission shifts hard into gears after to taking a wile to start. When shifting to drive the cars shows it is in 5th gear and after researching found thousands of others experiencing the same problems. Looking for recalls after so many people or experiencing the same problems. I see that there is a service bulletin but with so many many problems still no recall.

- Moss Point, MS, USA

May 072012

Maxima

The contact owns 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the transmission slammed into second and third gear once it was warm. The contact also stated that the transmission would not downshift from third gear and the vehicle had to be turned off and restarted for it to function properly. The contact had taken the vehicle to the dealer and was told the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 91,500.

- Blairsville, PA, USA

Feb 222013

Maxima 6-cyl

I am experiencing transmission problems in my 2005 Maxima. The vehicle has only 84000 miles to date and is starting to slip gears in between 1-2 and 2-3 while driving at a slow speed; this also occurs when switching in reverse. This problem needs to be fixed since it can be detrimental to fellow drivers on the road while driving due to the fact of the transmission causing the car to lunge forward when in the act of switching gears. This issue seems to be well documented at this point to Nissan corporate as well as the NHTSA database and should be taken seriously. I believe a recall at this point should be in order due to the mass documented complaints of this specific issue.

- Jamaica, NY, USA

Jan 012013

Maxima

Experiencing severe transmission problems. The car has a 5 second or more delay in shifting into drive and once it does shift there is a violent jerk and clunking noise. When driving the RPM gauge goes up and down randomly. Gears slip from 1st to 2nd at any given moment. I know my car has 100K miles but it has been superbly kept since manufactured so this is baffling to me. I have spent hundreds of dollars on transmission flushes and tune ups hoping to alleviate the problem to no avail. I don't see myself spending thousands of dollars to replace a transmission that obviously was predestined for failure! I love foreign cars Nissan especially this is my second but at this point I am seriously considering Toyota and never buying or recommending a Nissan ever again!

- Pleasant Grove, AL, USA

Aug 202012

Maxima 6-cyl

It hesitates when put in gear and than jerks violently when shifting, jarring all passengers in vehicle.

- Springfield , MO, USA

Feb 012013

Maxima

2005 Nissan Maxima. Consumer writes in regards to transmission slipping. The consumer stated he had to drain and re-fill the transmission fluid to keep the gears from slipping.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jun 262012

Maxima 6-cyl

My vehicle transmission slips alot, from 2-3 gears while accelerating or decelerating.

- Bristol, PA, USA

Jan 032013

Maxima

The transmission has begun to jerk excessively when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Sometimes it jerks so hard the occupants get tossed forward a bit. It lags when shifting from park to drive also resulting in the car to jerk violently. This is horrendous that a car that has 70,000-80,000 miles on would have such a serious transmission problem already. Its dangerous and from research I've found is not isolated, but rather a widespread issue with the 2004-2005 Nissan Maxima's. its absolutely ridiculous that Nissan hasnt made a recall on what they know are faulty transmissions. I had a Honda civic that had well over 110,000 miles on it and I never had a single power-train or engine issue with that car. I for one will never by another Nissan again!

- Ronkonkoma, NY, USA

Nov 012012

Maxima

I am experiencing transmission problems in my 2005 Maxima. The vehicle has only 54000 miles to date and is starting to slip gears in between 1-2 and 2-3 while driving at a slow speed; this also occurs when switching in reverse. This problem needs to be fixed since it can be detrimental to fellow drivers on the road while driving due to the fact of the transmission causing the car to lunge forward when in the act of switching gears. This issue seems to be well documented at this point to Nissan corporate as well as the NHTSA database and should be taken seriously. I believe a recall at this point should be in order due to the mass documented complaints of this specific issue.

- Levittown, PA, USA

Feb 112013

Maxima

I have been feeling a jerking in my car, which sounds like the motor is moving around. I had the motor mounts replaced, but still was having the same problems. I have now found out it is the transmission, which will cost me $3200, I have been told by the shop that a lot of 2005 Maxima are having the same problems, if this is true why is there not a recall?

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jun 152011

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the vehicle lunged forward independently. The vehicle continued to experience the failure until the vehicle was stopped and allowed to cool down. The vehicle would then operate as designed. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who advised the contact to have the transmission replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileage was 78,000.

- Delle Rose, LA, USA