CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2005 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Maxima:

2005 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 21 of 23)

Sep 212011

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that when driving 25 mph and above, the transmission would downshift and perform erratically. The vehicle was taken to a transmission repair shop where he was advised that the valve body needed to be repaired. The dealer was notified and advised that they would need to perform a diagnostic test before determining the failure and attempting any repairs. The manufacturer was notified who recommended that the vehicle be taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis and repairs. The failure mileage was 85,848. Kmj

- Woburn , MA, USA

Mar 162011

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the vehicle would downshift or prematurely engage. The contact also mentioned that the transmission would make a very loud knocking noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the transmission was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 65,000 and the current mileage was 90,000.

- Columbus , GA, USA

May 022011

Maxima

I bought my 2005 Nissan Maxima new from a Nissan dealership with an extended warranty, but about 3-4 months ago, my car started jerking. It started to have issues going from reverse to drive, and I called the dealership to find out what was going on. They ran a diagnosis and told me that it was a transmission issue but that my car was out of warranty. I started to do some research because I've been told many times that my car isn't old enough, nor does it have enough miles on it to have a transmission problem. I decided to call Nissan to see if they would help cover the repair; after 2 weeks of having no vehicle, I was told today that they would not cover the repair, but during this time I've done research and there are plenty of websites (carcomplaints.com, nissanhelp.com), forums, mechanics, and other consumers who are having the exact same issue. From the looks of it, the transmission in the Nissan Maxima from 2004-2008 has some sort of defect but Nissan refuses to issue a recall and fix the problem. I don't see how a company can get away with doing this when so many people have voiced their concerns. I have also read that Hyundai had the same problem but they recalled all of their vehicles and fixed the problem. I just paid for this car and am a quite devastated that its now falling apart, so what are consumers to do about this issue?

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Feb 012010

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle would hesitate and the transmission would slip while driving at low speeds. The vehicle was taken to an independent repair shop and the contact was informed that the transmission needed to be rebuilt. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Feb 012011

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated while driving 40 mph the vehicle started to jerk violently. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic who diagnosed that the first and second gear failed; as a result, the transmission needed to replaced. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the transmission communication wiring circuit and transmission control were defective and stated the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was no longer covered by the warranty. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 146,000.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Sep 012009

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. While driving approximately 20 mph, there was an increase in the vehicle RPM reading. The vehicle jerked forward and decelerated independently. The failure recurred intermittently at low speeds. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostics where the technicians flushed the transmission and replaced the motor mounts. The failure continued after the repairs. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where the technician stated that the transmission would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- South Hempstead, NY, USA

Sep 102011

Maxima

The transmission on this car has failed for a third time. The first time it was at ~ 60,000 miles, again at 75,000 miles, and now at 83,000 miles. Luckily, I was local and not on the interstate or downtown dallas. After reading all the customer complaints online it's disappointing that this transmission has not been recalled or Nissan hasn't stood behind it's product.

- Keller, TX, USA

Jul 142011

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that when shifting from park into reverse or drive, the vehicle would hesitate and would then jerk violently into gear. Also, when shifting from second to third gear, the vehicle would lunge forward abnormally. The dealer and manufacturer were contacted and denied any assistance with repairs to the vehicle. A local mechanic diagnosed that the valve body was worn. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 57,714 and the current mileage was 58,714.

- Lindenhurst, NY, USA

Jun 062011

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission, experiencing jerking when in 1st & 2nd gear. Even when im on the freeway when I slow down and try to speed up again my car will hesitate and jump into gear. I also was exiting freeway when my vehicle completely shut off, I could not stear, lucky for me there was no traffic behind me. I had both of my kids with me at the time!! I believe this is a huge problem and have heard many Nissan with the same problem. And the corporation is not doing anything to fix the problem. My vehicle barely reache 70,000 miles and im getting a transmission put in!

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 042011

Maxima 6-cyl

There are numerous complaints in the NHTSA database about the 2005 Nissan Maxima!!! 2005 Nissan Maxima purchased new in 2004. The car keeps making sudden violent jerking movements while driving creating a potential hazard for a car accident. When this happens I have to pull over and restart the car. I can not drive the car on major highways and can not go more that 35mph. The car feels like it is slipping when attempting to drive after being at a stop. There is a long hesitation before the car begins to drive after being put in gear to drive. It also jerks forward suddenly when it does decide to move. Sometimes the car won't move when attempting to accelerate. At stop lights I have to shift gears at times to get it to move. Another incident included the car not stopping. I had to move it into first gear to get it to stop. The car jerks backwards when reversing. When these problems started the car was taken to Nissan because we suspected a transmission problem. They told us it was not the transmission but instead motor mounts, rods, and bolts. I spent almost $3,000 to repair it and the problem still continued. Now, I am being told that it is the transmission and given an estimate of $3100. Nissan has diagnosed this problem. We discovered that there are thousands of other consumers with the same complaint for the 2004-2005 Maxima. This indicates that this is a common problem that Nissan is actually aware of. The battery has also had to be replaced 3times. The power doors no longer work neither does the sun roof. I have to drive to get to work and to get the kids to school. I do not like to drive with my kids in the car for fear that the car will not stop again or that there will be a collision because of the jerky movements and the cars hesitation. Nissan has been contacted. No resolution has been offered at this time.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Mar 102011

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle would shift hard attempting to shift into second gear, third gear or reverse. The dealer diagnosed the vehicle with a faulty shift in the transmission. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure however, did not offer any assistance. No repairs were performed. The current mileage was 109,326 and the approximate failure mileage was 83,000.

- Kilmichael, MS, USA

Sep 092011

Maxima 6-cyl

My transmission has been acting up and completely went out. This is not my first Nissan but it will be my last unless they issue a recall.

- Granger, IN, USA

Feb 092011

Maxima 6-cyl

I noticed my transmission having serious problems when it started slipping really bad. After a little while I decided to try for Nissan to fix the issue. The vehicle had about 77,000 miles on it when I contacted Nissan. This issue started at about 69,000 miles. Nissan told me to take it into a dealership and have a diagnosis done on the vehicle and send the paperwork in. I did just that. Then a week later I received a call saying that Nissan will not cover my repair because it was so far out of warranty. How convenient, the vehicle starts breaking right after the warranty goes out. This will cost me thousands of dollars to fix. I have never had a problem this serious, or any problem this early in the life of any of my cars. This is ridiculous and Nissan should stand by their terrible product and fix the problem. There are thousands of people with this same issue with the same vehicle. Within the past couple days my transmission will lock into 5th gear and stay there. If I accelerate or decelerate it will still be in 5th gear. Nissan is garbage and I will never purchase another Nissan or recommend Nissan if this does not get taken care of.

- Twentynine Palms, CA, USA

Oct 012010

Maxima 6-cyl

My cars transmission slips and shifts hard from first to second then completely fails to go into 3rd causing the engine to over rev finally slamming into third jerking the car hard.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Aug 182011

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated while driving, the vehicle would shift between gears and she was unable to downshift when it was necessary. The dealers diagnosis confirmed that the transmission was faulty. The manufacturer was aware of the failure. No repairs were performed. The current mileage was 79,503. The approximate failure mileage was 79,000.

- Leister, NC, USA

Aug 102011

Maxima 6-cyl

We purchased a Nissan Maxima 2005, for my mother a year or 2 ago. It reaches 80,000 plus miles and the transmission starts clunking, takes a while for it to shift from 2nd to 3rd. I called the dealership and got a price of $1100 for a valvebody. I asked if there was a recall, the employee stated there wasn't but was aware of the problem. Even said that after changing the valvebody it would still do it, to "pony up" and switch the whole transmission that comes with the valvebody. Now I have seen plenty complaints about this very issue, it just appears like these are forums to vent and complain. Because I can't believe that after so many people with the same experience nothing has been done about this yet.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Maxima

I took my car to a local dealership for transmission failure. They told me that it needed to have a transmission flush which I did and it did not solve the problem. The transmission slips when speeding up from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd which makes the RPM's go very high. And when slowing down it suddenly jerks hard when downshifting. I takes a few seconds after putting it in drive or reverse and then it jerks hard. Also when stopping from a moderate speed, the car sometimes does not shift down to first gear and the only way to go is to press the gas pedal or shutting the car off and turning it back on. I believe that this is a safety issue in which after you are stopped and you are unaware that the car did not downshift back to 1st and then you try to take off and the car takes off very slowly. This is when it can became a safety issue because what if there is a car coming and you cannot speed up. The oncoming car can easily Ram your car.

Aug 012011

Maxima

My Maxima has transmission problems. Nothing wrong when you first drive it but when it gets warmed up the transmission clunks when it hit 2nd gear upshifting and downshifting. When you put it reverse, it takes 5 seconds to be in gear but it comes with a loud thud. A lot of times it even goes out of gear while you're driving then a tremendous thud when it gets back in gear. When it gets hot, it really gets bad. So bad that the tranny slips in and out of gear until it get in gear then a thud. So basically when I'm driving, I'm in tranny hell. Please help! I just paid off this expensive car to have an expensive problem that the manufacturer knows exist.

- St Petersburg, FL, USA