CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2005 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Maxima:

2005 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 4 of 23)

Dec 172012

Maxima

Heavy shifting, not shifting on point, slipping transmission, bang when shifting or downshifting.

- Fitzpatrick, AL, USA

Dec 012013

- Revere, MA, USA

Nov 182014

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission keeps slamming hard into gear.

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Nov 012013

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to accelerate from a stop. The vehicle also jerked and shook violently. In addition, the service engine soon warning light illuminated continuously. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 022014

Maxima

Around 100,000 miles my 2005 Nissan Maxima SE started having minor issues with the transmission. It started slamming into gear in between shifts and when shifting from park to drive or reverse. It didn't do it all the time so I didn't think much of it, but as time went on it started getting worse and it would happen more frequently. Now it has about 106000 miles on it and it is getting much worse. The other day it got stuck in 5th gear while I was driving it and even with the car in park it would still read 5th gear on the dash. I ended up resetting the battery and it cleared the issue long enough for me to get it home. The car is still having the same issues more and more each day and I really don't know how much longer it will last. I really like the car but I read on many forums that 100's of people are having the same issues and I was really hoping to be considered for a recall. I would hate to put another transmission in it because I don't want to have the same issues again. Thank you for your time and consideration.

- Cherry Tree, PA, USA

Nov 022014

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission slips, jerks has issue after issue.. also having catalyst issues (exhaust, heat shield etc).

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Oct 202014

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle shifted gears roughly. The contact also stated that the vehicle jerked or shook when shifting between second and third gears. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Jun 062014

Maxima 6-cyl

Car has 66,000 miles on it. And transmission is slipping car jerks when pulling off and after turning corners. Didn't think anything of it until a mechanic told me that the 2004 2005 models have transmission problems. Now I'm looking on recall website and I see hundreds of people's complaints. I purchased this car with 3,200 miles on it I guess the 1st owner got wind of problem and immediately got rid of it if I knew then what I know now. I also have a 1997 Nissan Sentra no problems with this car they Nissan is putting our lives in jeopardy. We keep putting money out to fix this car when they should be fixing it for free when does it stop who do we need to contact all these complaints and nothing is being done please help.

- Pennsauken, NJ, USA

Jan 202012

Maxima

It was a warm January day and on the way to lunch the transmission started slipping in the middle of an intersection and would not engage. The intersection was 2 mile drive from my house. Luckily everyone was paying attention that day or my family could have been hurt. We pulled the car home. We don't drive it because im not taking the risk of it happening again in a different situation. Nissan needs to fix this problem.

- Meridian, MS, USA

Aug 282013

Maxima

I bought my 2005 Nissan Maxima in August 8, 2013 used with approx. 63K miles with no warranty. About 3 weeks after I bought the car I was driving in traffic in 90 degree weather, I noticed my clutch pedal would get stuck to the floor. During this time I was unable to change gears at all, I had to pull over & sit for about 20 minutes to get the car moving again. I took it back to the dealer & they "bled the line". they said the fluid in the clutch would get hot & turn into "vapor" which would cause the clutch pedal to get stuck & advised I use dot4 fluid in the future. 5 months later (in the winter) the clutch pedal again started getting stuck to the floor, I was able to "pop" it back with my foot for a short period of time until I got to my destination. I took it to the Nissan dealer, paid $150 to "diagnose" only for someone to tell me they could not replicate the problem & they would have to take apart my transmission (another $650) to look into the problem further. Needless to say, I went somewhere else. I had a mechanic friend look at it who told me to replace the clutch master & slave cylinder, therefore, I did. Solved the issue, until now (5 months later). My clutch has been getting stuck to the floor & loosing pressure occasionally the past month, finally yesterday, it has become un-drivable. I cannot pull it back up enough to shift it into gear. I was told my a mechanic to replace the master cylinder again & hopefully that should solve the problem. I drive everyday in this car with my two small children & have had near misses at times because I cannot get the car into gear. I read online forums regarding the Nissan Altima's with the same issue. I am sure after I replace the master cylinder again I will have this issue within months. I have three more years of paying on this piece of junk until I can get rid of it! I need a reliable car, Nissan needs to fix it!

- New Britain , CT, USA

Sep 152014

Maxima

Car jerks when acceleration and deceleration reaches appx 20 mph.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Sep 182013

Maxima 6-cyl

The valve body or valve assembly on the transmission is failing causing hard shift and high revs while shifting. Which is very hard and could cause the transmission to fail. It is well known by Nissan and they are no help at fixing this problem. New valve body is around $1100 without labor. If waited to long to replace, new transmission could cost $3400.

- Abbeville, LA, USA

Aug 012014

Maxima 6-cyl

My car has been jerking when going into second and third gears, engine revs while driving then jerks again and makes a loud noise. I am scared to be close to another car because I don't know what it's going to do next. It only has 83,000 miles on it and has been kept up for services and no real problems until now. I would like for this to be investigated to the fullest. I bought this car brand new and one of the reason I bought it was for its safety record, which I am not feeling very safe in it now. I should not be having these problems with the mileage I have on it!

- Buena Park, CA, USA

Aug 012014

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission clunks when shifting, engine timing chain guides worn out making loud noises at idle.

- Yuba City, CA, USA

Apr 082013

Maxima

I am the original owner of a 2005 Nissan Maxima. Car only has 56,000 miles on it. At 50,000 miles I started experiencing problems when I put the car in reverse it would jerk really bad, then put into drive and again a very bad jerk. It is very scary and I know that it is a transmission problem with the gears. When I drive between 20-30 miles it just starts jerking again and the gears on the transmission change. I need 2 motor mounts due to this problem. I would hope with all of these complaints, there will be a safety recall on this issue.

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Aug 062014

Maxima

We purchased this car in 08/13 after we bought the car it needed a transmission then ended up putting 2 transmissions in the car, also a new throttle body with all this and the purchase of the car it is over $8,000 in this useless car, that now is totaled due to faulty brakes and traction control, these cars are dangerous it was only goin 20 mph the brakes were applied, and the brakes locked and the throttle was hung open, then it hit a bank and flipped over now it is totaled and we have nothing these cars are junk.

- Washington, VA, USA

Aug 082014

Maxima 6-cyl

Automatic transmission:1) when you shift from park to drive the car does not engage at first then suddenly engages and accelerates very quickly. 2) hard jerking shifting from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 1st. 3) when de-accelerating from a higher gear transmission disengages then engages hard. 4) the car intermittently does this going a day or two performing normally.

- Hickory Flat, MS, USA

May 182011

Maxima

Okay, I am like almost everybody on here! my car several years ago starting slipping in between 1st and 2nd gear. Jerking forward and I have nearly gotten into several wrecks because of it. Took to the dealership and they said it was my transmission valve body. I paid over a $1000 bucks and the told me my transmission would eventually go. Which is a $3200 fix. What the crap. It's not my fault they made a faulty part. Own up to it and fix it. Well this past Friday 08/08/2014, the transmission finally went. Now I have lost my only vehicle and don't have the money to fix it. There should be a recall!!

- Bladenboro, NC, USA

Jul 172014

Maxima 6-cyl

Car kept jerking between gears, engine rev'd to 5000 rpms car lunged forward - hitting trailer hitch and rear end of an SUV stopped in road construction.

- Hubbard, NE, USA

May 082014

Maxima

I took my car to Nissan to have my car totally checked over. The ABS light came on and I had sharp jerks from the transmission and hesitation around 40 mph. The timing chain also had a rattle when the car was started. My ABS system had failed due to water shorting out the ABS sensor which destroyed the ABS control module repair cost $1200. When I told the service advisor my ABS light was on, he had a service bulletin at his station with exactly what he thought was wrong with my car and he told me it was a common issue with my car. The transmission needs a valve body due to premature wear cost $3500 to rebuild and install new valve body design. The timing chain has guides that wear and chain rubs against plastic then down to metal repair cost $1500. Nissan needs to fix all of these defective cars and pay the people who have made these costly repairs.

- Somerville , TN, USA