CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2005 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Maxima:

2005 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 5 of 23)

Jun 012009

Maxima

After the car runs for about 15 minutes the transmission slips or comes out of gear at 5-45 mph. When you pull out in traffic and are trying to get up to speed its like it goes from in gear to neutral with your foot on the gas. I have seen hundreds of complaints on 2005 Nissan Maxima with the same problem that I have that will get people killed god only knows how many already have!!! Nissan is well aware of the problems and refused to cooperate with a recall on a poor product. Please help all of the 2005 Maxima owners.

- Selmer, TN, USA

Jul 042014

Maxima

After coming to a stop the car does not want to accelerate. Going from 1st to 2nd is the biggest challenge but the car is not shifting well into any gear. The transmission already failed at 48,000 miles and was replaced under warranty. It is sad to know that Nissan would not correct the true problem, simply mask it for the time being and put a single mother right back into the same difficult situation. This is my only means of transportation. 2 out of the 4 cars that I have owned have been Nissan's. I purchased this car for reliability. Sure, problems will come about with any car over 100,000 miles, but you don't expect the transmission to go out on your Nissan. Nissan needs to correct the problem with these prematurely failing transmissions!

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 142014

Maxima 6-cyl

My 2005 Nissan Maxima experiences shifting problems from 1st to 2nd gear, it slams into gear, revs the RPM up past 5, downshifts on its own. Delays when changing gears and them slammed itself into gear causing car to jerk forward or slamm to a stop. I have taken my car into shop several times was told that it is a defect in the transmission valve body, took car to dealer without them even testing car they said it was the motor mounts. This is the 4th Nissan I've owned never experienced this type of issue. After review of other complaints thousands of other owners are having the exact same problem some with as few as $30,000 miles this is obviously a manufacturing issue with this model of Nissan.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 162014

Maxima

This vehicle along with many 2004-2006 Nissan maxims have a lot of transmission issues, my car has switched gets so hard I hd a minor whiplash, the rpms raise so high this needs to be addressed asap. This is a bad issue that happens it causes my vehicle to jump forward after pressing on the gas, and I have a 2 yr old daughter this is unacceptable and someone needs to do something about this, help the people, someone get off their assess and help us.

- Manville, RI, USA

Jun 152014

Maxima 6-cyl

I bought a 2005 Nissan Maxima from private owner less than a week ago. The car had a hard shift when put into drive. The lady I bought from, told me that at the Nissan dealership they said the transmission is working properly and it needs the transmission mounts thats all. She replaced one side but did not have money to do the other side. I was able to drive about 1000 miles before the transmission stopped working. I have read so many complains online about the same exact issue and Nissan will not take any responsibility.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jun 152014

Maxima 6-cyl

For about six months, I've been experiencing my transmission slipping/jerking from 2nd to 3rd gear when I either accelerate or decelerate and also when I move from park to drive, and reverse. I, like countless others who have had this issue was told it was my motor mounts at first. Got those fixed and the problem still persisted. Took it to a Nissan dealership and they said I need to replace my transmission ($4300). I am shocked to see so many people complaining about the same issue. The jerking is very abrupt and startling. There is a serious delay in changing gears and sometimes, the car won?T catch into drive/rhythm which causes the rpms to rev higher than normal. This is draining my gas mileage as well. I was told by another mechanic that it is the transmission selinoid and valve that need to be replaced which would cost $1,500. This is a known problem for these models and there are hundreds of valued Nissan owners who have to drive their car with uneasiness and fear that their transmission will fail them while on the road, endangering themselves and others. There needs to be a recall on the transmissions. This is not fair to people who have invested into these cars for reliability and safety.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Jun 092014

Maxima 6-cyl

My 2005 Nissan Maxima started slippin gears between 2 and 3rd during moderate acceleration and when slowing down, took it the Nissan dealer, for them to tell me it needs a new transmission, I told them its a known problem, however they do not want to help me out, $4400 for repair.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 252013

Maxima 6-cyl

My 2005 Nissan Maxima SE gives delayed gear shifts and as a result a significant jerk while driving. It is mainly when driving at lower speeds. I am reporting as this shift issue is a known issue with 2005 Nissan Maxima and has been reported by several other owners. I hope Nissan fixes this known issue with my car.

- Miamisburg, OH, USA

May 292014

Maxima 6-cyl

I drive the car and it is hard to shift gears. When I put the car in drive it jerks very hard. Called the dealership and it was said by the dealership that it is not the transmission but instead it was the motor mounts that were the problem. Once the motor mount was fixed, the problem still persist. I call the dealer back and they have yet to give me a response. When driving, in between 1st and 2nd gear it shift to the 4th or 5th gear causing the car to jerk forward if suddenly accelerated. Complicated situation.

- Newark, NJ, USA

May 052014

Maxima 6-cyl

Like so many other people, my 2005 Nissan began shifting roughly between reverse and drive, then between lower gears. It would slip out of gear when driving, and the engine would rev up to ~3500rpm before slamming back into gear. Clearly, I have the same bad Maxima transmission as everyone else. There really should be a recall.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 102011

Maxima

The transmission jerked while exiting the freeway and coming to a stop at the end of the off ramp. It downshifted improperly and will not come out of 5th gear. It jumps from 2nd gear to 4th or 5th when taking off.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

May 062014

Maxima 6-cyl

Two years ago, my 2005 Maxima started having a hard jerk when it shifts from 1st-2nd gear, and from 2nd-1st. It is not safe to drive it on the roads. This Maxima had many problems and lots of headaches. A piece of junk, no more Nissan cars.

- Livingston, NJ, USA

May 192014

Maxima

The transmission is doing hard shifts and I fear it is going to fail. Also the throttle position sensor is giving me problems too.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Oct 012013

Maxima

The transmission jerks really badly when the car shifts from second to third gear. Happens spontaneously, typically around 35-45 mph. When I took it into the repair shop, they said they could not replicate the problem, so I just have to deal with it for now. Seems to occur more frequently when the car is close to needing an oil change. I noticed a ton of other complaints about the exact same thing, and think it is obscene that a recall has not been issued or an investigation conducted at the minimum.

- O Fallon, MO, USA

Jan 012013

Maxima 6-cyl

I had the transmission flushed/serviced at a local Nissan dealership. The transmission started slipping and jerking between speeds of 20 to 30 mph. Sometime it also slips and jerks when I engage the reverse gear. I also started smelling a faint burning smell since then. At a 130000 I had the transmission fluid drained and filled again as the color of the fluid had changed to dark red. I had hoped that the slipping and jerking would go away, but that has not happened. In fact it has grown worse. I have gone online and have found out that mine is not an isolated problem. There are thousands of complaints from 2004-06 Maxima owners who are having similar problems with their transmissions. I think it is about time that Nissan owns up to this transmission problem with these 2004-06 Maximas and issues a recall, replacement and a fix of these defective transmissions. There are posts on numerous Nissan forums about owners who have figured out that all these problems are solenoid and valve related, within the bad transmissions. I did approach a Nissan dealership, explained this problem in detail, but got nowhere with them. They refuse to acknowledge that such a problem exists. I however got estimate of $4500 from one dealership for replacing the transmission in my car. I also understand there has been a class action lawsuit by some Nissan Maxima owners since 2011. I am currently researching joining them in this lawsuit. I am on my third Maxima since 1999. If Nissan does not come through with a recall/replacement/fix of this problem, this is surely my last one.

- Altamonte Springs, FL, USA

Feb 012010

Maxima 6-cyl

The problem began with hard shifts between 2nd and 3rd gear. I took the vehicle to the dealership which I purchased it from but they could not replicate the problem and said there was no problem. After that incident, the problem continued to happen sporadically and when the vehicle reached 102K miles the transmission began going into safe mode after the vehicle was driven more that 10 to 12 miles.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Nov 132013

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle began to jerk and lunge independently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis where the contact was informed that the transmission would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The failure and current mileage was 75,000.

- Lynn, MA, USA

Jan 012013

Maxima 6-cyl

Noticed that transmission was not engaging between first and second gear. When it did engage there was a very strong forward surge. This became very serious when stopped at busy intersection and would proceed to cross intersection the car would surge forward. When driving on freeway and attempting to pass slower cars the same strong forward surge would occur. I returned the car to our local Nissan dealer and was told that the motor mounts needed to be replaced at a cost of $800. They felt that would cure the problem. It did not! I signed on to the internet and discovered countless of the other 2005 Nissan Maxima owners with the very same complaint. I contacted Nissan North America about the surge and they were not interested. My wife drives the Maxima most of the time and is afraid that will cause a serious or fatal accident. No one has been injured or killed as far as I know. Not yet!! I strongly believe that NHTSA should be concerned and have this car recalled for repairs. Thank you for your prompt attention and concern.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Jan 012014

Maxima

2005 Nissan Maxima transmission is failing prematurely. Thousands of other complaints similar to mine online. Hard knock when shifting from 1st to 2nd, then delay in transmission "catching" 4th gear (loss of power). If acceleration is needed at that point to avoid an accident, it would not be available. Also, immediate loss of transmission is a safety concern in all cases. According to online reports, these are not isolated incidents and there should be an immediate recall to replace the transmissions in these vehicles.

- High Point, NC, USA

Mar 052014

Maxima

Trans slipping and jerking in to gear.

- Anniston, AL, USA