Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2005 Nissan Maxima fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Maxima:

2005 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments

Sep 082016

My car has given me trouble since about a month after I bought it. I bought it used, but have been told Nissan are very reliable vehicles even with high mileage. It will not excel forward at any speed until it gets up to 40mph after stopping at a light or stop sign. It is a disaster in waiting. I drive early in the morning and at night for work. I am afraid someone is going to plow into me because I am not moving fast enough. The transmission jerks bad enough to jerk my head back whenever I put it in reverse. I am afraid to drive it anymore! this has been ongoing for more than a year. I quit driving it a few weeks ago due to the jerking of the transmission when I put it into reverse. The date below is the last day I drove it.

- Bay Saint Louis, MS, USA

Aug 262016

At a red light, car stalled, took a few seconds to restart. When trying to accelerate, it revs like it has a strain; not going anywhere fast, until it gets to 40 mph. This has happened several times. We have changed the fuel pump, alternator, and battery. Each time we changed a part, the car would be fine for a few months. I am afraid when this happens that someone is going to plow into me because they can't stop in time as my car is going too slow. My husband seems to think it's not as much the transmission as maybe something electrical. Nissan should be responsible for this seeing as there are so many complaints about the same thing. Someone is going to be killed or probably already has, but no one can tell what the cause of the accident if the driver is dead! I love the car and would buy another Nissan, but I will research them first! I am glad to see it is not my imagination about the car jumping while accelerating. It seems to only do it when I am driving, but it stops jumping when I take my foot off the accelerator.

- Bay Saint Louis, MS, USA