CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2006 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Maxima:

2006 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 10 of 12)

Aug 012011

Maxima 6-cyl

Hard shifting, transmission slipping, gearing down for no reason, etc this car is a lemon, Nissan should be made to recall these cars.

- Mooresboro, NC, USA

Apr 112012

Maxima

This is a transmission issue, but 'transmission' wasn't listed as a choice so I chose 'power train'. I was accelerating on an interstate onramp, preparing to enter the interstate highway. While accelerating, I noticed the car ahead of me was not accelerating at the same rate so I let off the gas to slow down. The car ahead then sped up, so I attempted to assume accelerating to enter the highway. At that point the engine quickly revved up as though I were in neutral. That lasted for a brief moment, then suddenly the transmission slammed into gear with such force that the front tires lost traction and the car lurched hard to the left. My reaction was to adjust quickly to the right, to prevent cutting across busy lanes. I left the roadway to the right, fortunately no collision with anything except a curb. Skidded to a stop there in the grassy area right of the highway.

- Norman, OK, USA

Apr 012011

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated the vehicle began to hesitate while driving 20 to 40 mph and the accelerator pedal was engaged. The failure occurred twenty minutes after the vehicle was turned on. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and was waiting for the results of the diagnostic test. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 98,000.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Apr 252012

Maxima

I purchased a 2006 Nissan Maxima 2 in 2009 with 35,000 miles. At 75,000 miles I began to notice that the vehicle would occasional jerk with changing lower gears (20-30 mph) and that it would violently down shift when slowing down for a stop. These actions only occur after the vehicle has been driven for 20 minutes or more. The dealerships say that it is the transmission and that it will cost $4,000 to replace. The vehicle has 80,000 miles at this point and that is not enough miles to warrant a new transmission. In researching the internet I have discovered that this is a common theme with the 2006 Nissan Maxima. This issues present safety issues and should be recalled by Nissan.

- Rome, GA, USA

Mar 012011

Maxima 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Nissan Maxima. At 60,000 miles or so, the transmission started slipping between 1st and 2nd gear. Also hard shifts from reverse to neutral and neutral to first. I have maintained the transmission properly. It turns out there are hundreds of people on the internet complaining about the exact same issue. It is a manufacture defect which has not been recalled. Help.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Mar 142012

Maxima 6-cyl

This vehicle is very unsafe. The transmission will jerk the car at any given time, which increases the chances of an accident. This is the only issue I am having with this car. This may be only one issue however it is a very expensive one. The certified Nissan dealership said that it would cost around four thousand dollars for this to be corrected including parts and labor. There needs to be an recall on this vehicle right away.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Feb 202012

Maxima 6-cyl

The car has hesitated to reach the next gear. There is an obvious jerk getting into gear. On a few instances when shifting into reverse there was a very hard jerk and loud noise. This occurred with my kids in the car which was scary. The car has shifted hard while in traffic and has taken a while to pick up speed to the next gear.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Feb 012012

Maxima

Car began to jerk forward in traffic, and upon going uphill would lose power, due to transmission jerking at speeds 35mph and up, RPM would redline at 55mph on freeway, which would cause traffic behind me to gain distance, leaving me no power to move or avoid them. Would jerk from reverse to drive out of driveway. Transmission sensors and trasmission were replaced total $3900

- Stockton, CA, USA

Aug 082011

Maxima 6-cyl

The transmission is failing and Nissan customer services is rude! you can't get Nissan to admit there are faulty transmissions on some of there Nissan cars/trucks/SUV's. I will never purchase a Nissan again. It's the sensors I was told that are causing the problems. So, then you have to purchase a entire transmission because it cannot be bought alone. Thank you, too mad!

- Scottsville, VA, USA

Feb 152012

Maxima

For about the last 15-20K miles my transmission has been slipping and causing my car to jerk at different times throughout my daily drive. My transmission finally quit working while trying to ascend a small hill my parking garage. The transmission started smoking and finally stopped working all together. I had to have the car towed and the repairs are quoted at a minimum for $1600. Of course this repair is not covered under warranty. It makes no sense that are car with barely 100K miles should have transmission problems.

- Reynoldsburg, OH, USA

Jun 232011

Maxima 6-cyl

I purchased a 2006 Nissan Maxima in February 2011..when I purchased the car it appeared to be in good running condition..there were a few visible problems such as the headlights, running light, power seats, or windows weren't working properly..that problem was fixed and the owner agreed to fix the brakes and the remainder of the problems however almost a year later my anti brake light is still on & the dealership have not made any attempt to fix my car. 4months after having the car the speedometer stopped working and the odometer, the gas gauge goes back & forth, the service engine light remains on and the car jerks while driving and sometimes when shifting the car out of drive into reverse it jerks hard. I have quite a few friends who have Maxima's also and have the same problem with their cars..it's obvious it's a defect with the transmissions, speed gauge & so many other defects with these cars. Somewhere there has to be someone who can help myself as well as others who are experiencing these problems. I have read far too many complaints about these particular cars. The cost to repair these cars are expensive & not to mention the cost to have your transmission replaced & on top of all that you are still responsible for paying your car note. Hopefully soon there will be a solution to this problem. Thanks in advance!!!

- Donaldsonville, LA, USA

Oct 012010

Maxima 6-cyl

I was happy driving home with new rims after buying my 2006 Maxima and was turning into my parking spot and needed to back-up because of space restrictions. I placed the vehicle back into drive and it did not go into gear, there was lag and a clunk back to 1st gear. Happy to sad in less than 1 second, I became. The vehicle hesitated at times and now it does it more often. Even when I drive it clunks into the lower gears and now the car feels like the transmission disengages from the motor. The rpms flare up to 8000 then catch gear which makes my tires chirp causing my head to go back by the sudden acceleration change.

- Antelope, CA, USA

Dec 012011

Maxima 6-cyl

I was first told that the cataylic converter was gone, had that replaced, then was told 2 motor mounts were gone, had them replaced and still have the same problem, with the car jerking with a hard knock into 1 and 2nd gear and now it is accelerating while driving and jerking into gear. Nissan needs to recall the transmission on these 2006 Maximas there are so people having the same problem.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Nov 022011

Maxima

I bought the car after it was inspected by a Nissan dealersip at 60,000 miles. The inspection showed it to be in "excellent" condition. After purchasing the vehicle, 8,000 miles later the transmission fails while I'm driving. After that I left and took the car to the mechanic when he informed me that many Maxima's from 2004-2006 had the same issues. I did research and found out the majority of the Maxima's had transmission malfunctions as early as 35,000 miles. I contacted the Nissan dealership and told them exactly what the problem was and even gave them the codes for the malfunction given to me by a certified mechanic. They stated no matter what happens I must get a diagnosis ran from a Nissan dealership. After I did the diagnosis they told me they couldn't help me because the car was out of warranty, as if I didn't know that. I told them I should receive financial assistance being that they are selling a product that does not function properly, I told them about my past, very old, Nissan which ran without any issues even one reaching 200,000 miles before I decided to upgrade to a newer model, and they basically kept saying they couldn't help me. They need to take responsibility for they're actions and do a recall because it is obvious that the Maximas transmission does not function properly. I also had to pay out of pocket for the diagnosis, pay to tow the car various times due to them demanding me take it to they're dealer, and I had to pay a storage fee from they're dealer. I went with Nissan because I thought they were trustworthy, I would not recommend them at all. I am very dissappointed in Nissan dealership buy a Camry or a Accord, you'll be much better off without Nissan stealing from the poor. I've had about 5 Nissan's and my fiance was making payments on a Nissan, I am turning it in and getting a Camry. Will update and add the VIN# soon

- Miami, FL, USA

Sep 222011

Maxima 6-cyl

My 2006 Nissan Maxima, has 74000 miles and has started showing signs of what may be serious transmission problems. 1. takes about 5 seconds to click into gear after the shift lever is put in "D" 2. very hard jerky shifts between 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st and accompanied by loud clunking noise. 3. transmission slips out of gear during regular driving allowing the engine to rev freely then jerking back into gear with a loud clunk. There should be a recall on this type of problem, Nissan knows about this problem on 04-06 models. Here are some reviews in this link :X.nissanhelp.com/forums/Maxima/9183-05-Maxima-transmission-shifting-problems.html also: www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2006/Nissan/Maxima/automatic+transmission.

- Hemet, CA, USA

May 022011

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission failure under normal driving.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Aug 012011

Maxima 6-cyl

The transmission slips, jumps out of gear between gears. Often it will go to shift then it revs up not in gear instead of shifting then after a few seconds it slams hard into gear. This is not a daily constant issue it is random and sometimes will go weeks between having the issue pop up. When it pops up it will happen during that entire drive. The next time it is driven even that same day even just 15 minutes later it will not have shifting issues sometimes it does. There are many many many customers complaining about this issue with Nissan transmissions.

- American Fork, UT, USA

Jul 012011

Maxima 6-cyl

From a stopped position, slowly accelerating forward or reverse, the engine speed increases without any vehicle movement when the transmission suddenly shifts or engages with a violent jolt. Suddenly propelling the vehicle in a forward or reverse direction. Unless immediately braking occurs the vehicle may collide with another vehicle or end up going through the rear wall of the garage. This problem has happened on numerous occasions and is now becoming much worse. A search on the internet for 2006 Maxima transmission shows this to be a common problem. While it is not known if any serious accident or injury has occurred it does appear to be a safety issue.

- Dacula, GA, USA

Dec 052011

Maxima

I was looking at purchasing a Nissan Maxima. I found one that is an 2006, test drove it and everything checked out to be a perfect car. No accidents and I received and clean car fax on the car. I purchased this vehicle with 78K miles and the day I purchased it and drove it off the lot, I started experiencing jerking with the shifting of the gears. When I test drove this vehicle twice on different days I never experienced any jerking with the car. As the day went on, I started to experience more frequent and harder shifts, then it started to slam really hard into gears or rev the engine up to 4rpm then slam into gears like someone had hit me. So, I immediately took the car back the same day I purchased it only a few hours later, come to find out the transmission went out. It has been a week today that I have been without my new car that I purchased and still won't get it back until the end of the week, because the dealership I purchased the car from was trying to figure out what to do. Finally, came to conclusion to replace the transmission for me.I am a very unhappy customer and will not purchase a Nissan ever again because, this problem is not being addressed properly. I am really upset about after I find out about having to replace the transmission that I find several reviews on the 04-06 model Nissan Maximas experience this same exact problem around 60K miles and conveniently right after their warranties expire. Since this is a major issue with these models apparently, there should be a recall.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Dec 052011

Maxima 6-cyl

Catastrophic failure of the transmission and torque converter. This was an oem transmission. Service was maintained on the unit since purchasing the vehicle in 2009.

- Plano, TX, USA