CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2006 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Maxima:

2006 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 11 of 12)

Aug 012011

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact was driving 35 mph when the vehicle failed to shift gears proplery. The vehicle also stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic who confirmed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not contacted and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 94,000 and the current mileage was 98,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 282011

Maxima 6-cyl

Same problem as others are reporting. 2006 Maxima with 80K miles and now getting transmission slipping going from 1st to 2nd and from drive to reverse with a delay of about 5 seconds before it shifts. No problems show on dashboard. Took it to my known mechanic as I don't trust dealers as they try to upsell me nonsense and was told the tranny failing, it will happen on and off but will eventually have to have it replaced at major thousands of dollars. Not a happy Nissan customer and feel being ripped off that Nissan are not hearing these complaints (and sad to say most won't complain and will pay thinking it is their own fault). Shame shame on you Nissan!

- Baytown, TX, USA

Aug 012011

Maxima 6-cyl

The transmission is slipping badly in my car between 10 and 25 mph. It is a safety hazard if I am on a budy roadway because the car will stall and not move at all for several seconds sometimes. I am afraid it is going to cause me to get rearended. The problem does not happen all of the time and I really cannot pinpoint when it will happen. I have also noticed some very bad jerking when I am shifting from reverse to drive. Again not all of the time and no way to figure out why it happened sometimes and not others. I have seen hundreds on complaints on the internet about the same problems in Maximas between 20074 and 2006. I absolutely cannot afford to have the transmission replaced.

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

Nov 102011

Maxima 6-cyl

While driving on the highway in Chicago traffic last Thursday my 2006 Maxima began jerking and when I lightly pressed on the gas the RPM's would sky rocket, scaring me and my daughter who was a passenger. It was a very unsafe situation as it was difficult to control the speed of the car. I managed to drive at a lower constant speed to get us to our destination. I dropped the car off at my mechanic that night. He says that I need a new transmission which will cost $3,300. I have maintained my Maxima according to the dealer guidelines since my husband and I purchased the car, including a recent 100K tune a few weeks ago. My mechanic says there is a technical service bulletin out on this problem but Nissan is not taking any financial responsibility. It is a widespread problem with the automatic transmissions of the newer Maximas. There must be an apparent engineering defect as Nissan requests that the old transmission be sent to them and the replacement transmission they will send my mechanic was previously some else's transmission in which the problem has been corrected. Only a limited 12 month/12K miles warranty is offered on the replacement transmission. We can not drive this unsafe car. Without the repairs, the car is of little value. I am very disappointed that Nissan is taking no financial responsibility for this unsafe, lemon of a car. This is our 3rd Nissan and we had previously been happy customers.

- Hawthorn Woods, IL, USA

Oct 032011

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission is jumping out of gear. Transmission is slipping and making a hard jerk between 20-40 mph.

- Hampton, GA, USA

Mar 092011

Maxima

I bought a 2006 Nissan Maxima milage 68000. After driving it for few months (milage around 97000) the transmission went bad, and started skipping and hard shifting while changing gear from 2nd to 3rd there is hard shifting (jerking) and while shifting from 3rd to 4th gear it skips and the RPM increase while the car does not accelerates at that time. When I googled this issue I found that alot of Nissan Maxima owners have this issue. I think Nissan has a faulty transmission built into these cars. Nissan needs to come up with a solution to fix this issue, a recall hopefully !. thanks

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 032011

Maxima 6-cyl

As numerous others have reported, Nissan has a serious flaw with their transmissions that needs to be addressed. My transmission failure happened at approximately 83,000 miles. Replacing my transmission and engine mounts is going to cost me $4,000.

- Southlake, TX, USA

Jun 152011

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle started to shift in and out of gear abnormally. The contact mentioned that there was a sudden increase in engines rpms. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the valve body was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 54,000 and the current mileage was 59,000.

- Harrisburg , PA, USA

Aug 162011

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact was driving 35 mph when the vehicle stalled. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where the dealer diagnosed that the transmission was faulty and needed to be replaced. The failure mileage was 82,500.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Oct 222011

Maxima 6-cyl

My vehicle began to shift violently (car would jerk roughly) from 1st to 2nd, and subsequent gear shifts (2-3, 3-4, etc.) would shift very slowly (the car's RPM's would race as the transmission delayed shifting into the next gear, then jump very hard into gear). Also, when slowing to a stop, the car would remain in a higher gear without downshifting, then once stopped for a few seconds the car would violently downshift, which would cause the car to lurch forward. Shifting from park or neutral to drive or reverse would take 5-10 seconds to engage, and would cause the car to again jerk and lurch violently. The final issue occurred on Saturday, October 22, when the car was in drive, but no longer engaged the gear while stopped at a stoplight in busy traffic. I shut the car off and let it sit for a minute and started it again. When I did this, I was able to get first gear to engage enough to roll to a parking lot. Once in the lot, the gear stopped working and no gear would engage again. I had to have the car towed to the dealership, in which they advised that the transmission would need to be replaced at my expense ($3300-3500 was the estimate) as my warrantee had expired "3 months ago". this is unacceptable, and judging by the thousands of complaints that I am seeing on the internet with the exact same issues, I am disgusted that Nissan is not recalling for this issue, nor extending the warrantee coverage for a clearly defective transmission, as they did for the cvt that they offer in the newer model year Maximas. These issues all occurred within a one month period. The transmission fluid was checked and found to be at the correct level and color/consistency.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Mar 012011

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact was driving 55-60 mph and attempted to increased speed when the rpms increased and the vehicle jerked violently. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the local mechanic who performed a diagnostic that located the failure at the transmission sensor. The transmission would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 76,011.

- Ontario , CA, USA

Oct 012010

Maxima 6-cyl

After taking my Maxima to the dealer because of the transmission free wheeling and shifting erratically they said they were not aware of issues. They flushed the trans fluid and suggested I get a new trans if the problems continued. I went and researched the issue on the internet only to find out that there are many complaints about the cvt Maxima transmissions. I have again taken the car back to the dealer and now they tell me the trans valve body may fix the issue but not 100% sure at a cost of $1800. They also told me that several other items were in need of replacement which I had checked at a local garage and they found none of the so called worn out parts but that is another story. I feel this is a design flaw like many other Nissan owners. They need to make good of the problem.

- New Tripoli, PA, USA

Aug 072009

Maxima 6-cyl

I have had to replace the brakes in my car over three times within a two year span. Brakes continue to scrub and squeal. Dealer says that they have done all they can do as they have changed multiple parts, costing me "an arm and a leg". you are a afraid to make a hard emergency stop because due to the sound, you aren't sure if they could "go out" in time. Transmission: Care literally jerks into gear when backing up or taking off. You can't park too close to another vehicle or stop because car literally leaps into gear possible causing you to hit another car in front of you. (feels like someone has rear ended you).

- Dublin, GA, USA

Jul 282011

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle would jerk while shifting gears. The vehilce was taken to an authorized dealer and they informed her that the vehicle needed a new transmission. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 75,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Millstone Township, NJ, USA

Apr 142010

Maxima 6-cyl

The car begin hard jerking and slipping. Took it to the Nissan place and of course it was out of warranty. The car needs a transmission. Whether its used or new its very expensive and the mechanic said its not going to do any good because the valve bodies in those transmissions are bad in all of those transmissions. So if I get another one the same thing is going to happen again.

- Lake City, FL, USA

Jun 162011

Maxima 6-cyl

My 2006 Maxima's transmission gave out at 74,000 miles of normal use. There are 1,000's of others with this same problem and most have had to pay around $3,000 out of pocket to have the transmission replaced. There are some that were fortunate to have all or most of the costs paid by Nissan, even when the warranty was expired. Nissan refuses to assist with my repair stating that I didn't take it to the dealership for it's regular maintenance. BBB auto line states that the vehicle is too old for them to assist in my repair cost recovery. This is a huge issue with this generation of Maxima and there should be a forced recall, no matter the cost to the manufacturer. We paid a lot of money for their flagship model and we should not have to pay even more for their faulty transmissions. Also, broken engine mounts seem to be high on the list of problems with this vehicle, which my Maxima also has. Very frustrating. Need to find help in filing a class action suit against Nissan.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Apr 012010

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle would violently jerk when attempting to accelerate. The dealer did not offer any assistance since there was no recall. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who informed the contact that the transmission was faulty and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure nor was the vehicle repaired. The current mileage was 72,000 and the approximate failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was unavailable.

- Marrero, LA, USA

Nov 282010

Maxima 6-cyl

After filing my first complaint with you for the transmission defect of my 2006 Nissan Maxima a year ago, I have discovered at least 1000 complaints for the same dangerous and very costly defect for that transmission. My original ODI number is 10367294. It is mind boggling to me and my fellow 2004-2006 Maxima owners that no defect investigation has been launched. Just because (maybe) no deaths or serious accidents have not been publicized does not mean that it is not a true safety concern. Please take the 1000 complaints that you have received seriously and at least launch an investigation.

- Riverdale, IL, USA

Oct 012010

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle would violently jerk and he was unable to shift gears safely. The dealer had not been notified. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who diagnosed the vehicle with a faulty valve body in the transmission and advised that the contact should replace the transmission. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure nor was the vehicle repaired. The current mileage was 124,000 and the approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Vicksburg, MS, USA

Sep 092011

Maxima 6-cyl

My 06 Maxima sl is jerking on the upshift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, sometimes even on the downshift. The jerking is so unpredictable and very dangerous. It's been going on for a few weeks now. I had my co workers in my car at my lunch break and the car was coming to a stop slowing down from 15 mph and the car jumped forward after downshifting from 2nd to 1st gear. My car jumped into the intersection and was almost hit by a Ford 150 truck. Luckily the truck swerved out of the way and it scared everyone in the car. I took it to the Nissan dealership and they said they did not know what the problem was after running a diagnostics. They recommended me changing my transmission fuel. I changed my transmission fuel and the problem is still happening. This problem should be a recall. After reading online of all the thousands of people who are having the same problem I feel it's only a matter of time before I end up in a terrible accident due to the jerking of the transmission hurting my self or other people.

- San Diego, CA, USA