CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2006 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Maxima:

2006 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 2 of 12)

Mar 082016

Maxima

Driving down the interstate, merging into the exit lane, I pressed the brake pedal to slow down to the light, as soon as I tap the gas pedal the car jumps out of gear and revs to approximately 6,000 RPM. Car then violently kicks back into gear, more than likely damaging all motor mounts and transmission mounts. It does the same thing when driving around small bends and taking turns. It put my car into limp mode in the middle of the street. This has been occurring for roughly the past 6 months

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 082016

Maxima

Got the car in 2012 and was doing fine for a while until the end of 2014. Car had started jerking when switching between park, drive, and reverse and would also stall in between. By February, the car started revving and stalling during stops and was bad when I was in traffic. I had to try and get above 25 mph because below that, the car would seriously act up. Eventually stopped driving until this year when I took it to a shop to get checked out. While driving there the car revved and stall at every light and I almost hit the back of a car when it decided to rev at a 4 way stop on a hill. It's either jerking, stalling, or revving. I know it's a transmission issue and will be a costly fix. I honestly don't have the money for it. In between all this, the paint has severely started to fade and I have noticed other Nissan in my area going through the same issues. Also, why does the airbag light come on even someone is sitting in the passenger seat? the car just has been one issue after the other. Will not be purchasing another Nissan.

- Lena, MS, USA

Mar 012016

Maxima

Transmission failed at 131,000 miles. Was at the school to pick up my four children and transmission started grinding and ended up having it towed. I am a full time student, have a full time job, single mom of four children stranded without a vehicle. This was the third Nissan I have bought because they are supposed to be very reliable vehicles. I called Nissan because there had been recalls on the same year, make, and model but was told it did not cover my specific car but I have had the same problems as all the other individuals involved in the recall.

- Crockett, TX, USA

Feb 292016

Maxima

I just recently purchased a used 2006 Nissan Maxima sl 5spd automatic for my wife in excellent condition with 144,000 miles. It had been kept up with a good car fax. When I test drove it I made sure to pay special attention to the transmission & how it shifted from 1st to 2nd & downshift from those gears since I heard nothing but bad stories about these cars from 2004-06' it shifted smoothly. Seemed to have no issues of what I've read in reviews. I thought great! this is the car my wife likes a lot & how it drive! we take it home.. registered & insured then a few days later it starts! my wife says it shifted/downshifted hard a few times on here way to work which is only 8miles away on back roads. We bought it from a private seller so I don't know if lemon law applies" I came across a site that had simalar complaints & that Nissan hasn't addressed the issue nor sent out any recalls. So that led me to here, after reading a complaint someone said to register my issue with NHTSA. So I hope our voices will be heard. Because overall it's a great car! but if Nissan made a mistake" owe up to it! and please fix it! don't try & pull the wool over everyone's eyes! well thanks for listening. I hope they resolve this problem.

- Coventry, RI, USA

Jan 122016

Maxima

Transmission slips, mainly between 1st/2nd gears and also in reverse. The rpms rev up high and car jerks forward violently. One time I parked the vehicle and after I took my foot off the gas, it reved up and drove onto the curb. Driving on highways is fine but city driving us a nightmare. It's even shut off at stop lights.

- Holland, PA, USA

Dec 012015

Maxima

Drive train is slipping and making a loud banging noise when starting to move in low gear

- Highland, IN, USA

Jan 082016

Maxima

Once the transmission gets warm it's very dangerous. Bad stalling from reverse to drive and once you slow to round a curve and go to accelerate again. It slams really hard shifting. Causes a bad jerk. If you are driving in rain, let out of the gas to start I to a small curve, then when you give it has again. If you are not careful you will have a high rmp when it finally shifts back into drive it will cause you to spin. Possibly could cause an accident.

- Crab Orchard, KY, USA

Nov 152015

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving at 45 mph, the vehicle started to violently jerk and the engine stalled as the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle did not restart. The failure was recurring. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 223,000.

- Plant City, FL, USA

Apr 012015

Maxima

I've been the only owner of my car which I bought brand new. I've always gone the extra mile to take extremely good care of my car and have never missed any scheduled maintenance. However, none of this mattered much when my car started jerking very violently around 90K miles. It happened when shifting from part to drive or reverse and even while driving, when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I took the car to many different transmission shops and eventually it turned out that it had a bad transmission. I spent thousands in getting this fixed. I know for a fact that Nissan is aware of this issue with this cars but refuses to take action, instead they want to charge the customer thousands of dollars for a new transmission. They are so aware of this issue that they even have created an updated transmission for this car which is the one that they will put in if you go to them with this issue. It's sad to see that no one is doing anything to get Nissan to do the right thing and recall this faulty vehicles despite the ridiculously high number of complaints. It appears as though people have to die first before anyone takes notice. You can read all about this well know issue in this forum link: Maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-Maxima-2004-2008/597683-re5F22A-transmission-fix-38.html to Nissan: You think that you are saving money by not recalling these bad transmissions and indeed you are, but only in the short term. Long term though you will loose greatly because those that used to call themselves loyal customers such as myself will never buy another vehicle from you ever again. Not only that but I will take every opportunity to tell everyone I can not to buy from you. Your organization is cunning and deceitful and only cares about the bottom line.

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Sep 012015

Maxima

Transmission slips and jerks.

- Parlin, NJ, USA

Sep 012015

Maxima

There are serious jerks while driving on a busy road when the automatic transmission switches gears. Happens worst on 2nd gear and 3rd and eventually reduces. This is a major problem and starting happening only after dealer services the transmission at 60K miles. The car is now on 70K and went to dealer once again.. after spending anther $400, I see no result. Vehicle is still moving but can cause serious issues anytime. Replacing transmissions is probably another $3500. It makes no sense until Nissan comes forward to handle this. The car has barely reached 70K.

- Randolph, NJ, USA

Sep 212015

Maxima

My 2006 Maxima has 89000 miles on it and started jerking when shifting gears, it began out of the blue. I was at at a stop light and had to back up for a fire truck and then drive forward and then my car jerked and shook the whole car. It had never done that before. I thought the engine was going to fall out. I drove home as slow as I could and my dad met me there. He got in the car and we tested it. Every time you reverse and go into drive it would stall and cough and make so that the engine felt like it was going to fall out of the car. We took it to the mechanic who at first thought it was the transmission fluid being low, so we filled it up. Then after about a week it started again with the jerking after taking it from reverse into drive. We took it to the transmission guy who said it could be the solenoid? so that would be about $300-500. In the end to rebuild the entire transmission on a Maxima with only 89,000 miles it costs $3500-4500 to fix which was absolutely ridiculous!!! Nissan needs to fix their product and stand behind it. Recall the problem and have it fixed before something bad happens.

- Pikeville, NC, USA

Sep 122015

Maxima

Car was purchased with bad transmission not knowing that jerking was so bad it felt like a rear end collision had occured. Had it replaced and now its starting to happen for a second time since owning the car. Car will jerk at 20mph and 40mph. The car also accelerates forward when going down hills. Car is a safety hazard waiting to kill myself or others because I just don't know wht will happen. Sad to see Nissan does not stand behind fixing the unsafe transmissions for thosands of people. I will never buy another Nissan and hope that no one gets killed before all the effected cars are off the road. Sad to think that Nissan doesn't stand behind their cars and safety of the owners.an owner of a car that is less than 10yrs old shouldn't have to buy two transmissions in 4 yrs of ownership. Sorry I ever bought this car and definitely let my opinion be heard when others look to buy a Nissan product. I am scared to sell my cr because I feel it is dangerous and has been nohing but a maintenance mobile with continuous stress and fear of what will happen next.

- Columbia, Tn, TN, USA

Sep 282015

Maxima

Car failed to accelerate past 20 mph. Transmission kept slipping (jerks felt, and dashboard warning light kept showing up.) car was on highway at the time of incident. Tried pulling off highway, at the first available exit, and car stalled going up the ramp, and once again when at the stop sign, and on the road. Car barely made it back to a safe place off the road.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Jul 112015

Maxima

In a busy shopping mall parking lot vehicle hesitated and jerked when backing out of a parking space. Had to push accelerator down much harder than usual to get the car to back up creating an unsafe condition for any people or vehicles that may have been behind the vehicle, same condition also occurs at times when going from reverse to drive (hesitation and jerking).

- Orland Park, IL, USA

Jul 272015

Maxima

While driving on the interstate a slowed from the cruising speed for traffic. Upon my attempt to accelerate the engine revved to a high RPM before the transmission engaged causing a hard shift that seemed to torque the engine and car to the side causing a short loss of control of the vehicle at highway speed. Since then, I have had numerous incidents when accelerating from a stop light or stop sign when the the car will just lose power until the transmission jolts into gear.mas it loses power thee have been time when cars behind me almost rammed the back of my vehicle.

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Oct 162013

Maxima

Wife was driving vehicle down the interstate. Engine revved and car lurched. She exited interstate and we took the vehicle to the dealership. Replaced transmission under warranty. 2nd incident occurred coming off a mountain in East Tennessee. Transmission failed and had to ride brakes to flat land, over 3 miles. 2nd incident occurred

- Elizabethton, TN, USA

Jul 012015

Maxima

Over a period of about three weeks, the transmission on this car went from occasional rough shifting to being stuck in 5th gear all the time. The car would "reset" with the ignition turned off, than the car restarted, but that too failed to work after about a week. The situation now has the car un-drivable. Nissan claims the transmission is totally failed, and an independent repair shop agreed. The car will still do one normal shift cycle when it is cool, but than remains in fifth gear after that.

- New Ipswich, NH, USA

Apr 012015

Maxima

The car's transmission slipped, the RPM''s went up and then the car slammed into gear.

- Charlestown, NH, USA

Jun 022015

Maxima

Excessive/harsh transmission shift 1st, 2nd and 2nd to 1st, problem gets worse after vehicle heats up. Repairs range from $3,000 and up. Vehicle was inspected by Nissan dealership on June 2,2015, I was advised that without repair could cause additional damage. I am afraid that this will cause an accident.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA