CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2006 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Maxima:

2006 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 5 of 12)

Mar 102014

Maxima 6-cyl

After reading multiple reviews, it looks like my car is having the same issues. I am driving down the road and the freeways and suddenly my car would shut down. On the freeway. With 2 babies in the car. I have taken my car in multiple times and nothing seems to fix the issues. In addition, my car jerks multiple times and wont kick into gear while driving and then all of a sudden my "check engine light comes on".

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 012012

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission slipped while in traffic on the freeway, the engine revved up then the transmission slipped back into gear, jerking the car forward and nearly rear ending the car in front of me. This occurred several times in subsequent days until I had the transmission replaced.

- Draper, UT, USA

Dec 152013

Maxima 6-cyl

My initial incident occurred sometime in December, after putting my vehicle in to gear (D) from park position it hesitated and then it felt as if my whole car jumped. I stepped on the gas to slowly accelerate and the cars engine revved up but the car did not move. It kind of scared me. It continued to do so on my drive home. It continues to do so off and on predominately when my car has had the opportunity to warm up. After doing some online research as to what could be causing the issue it seems that there are many complaints with this same matter. It is believed that the transmissions installed in Nissan Maximas are faulty and Nissan refused to do anything about this issue. It is very hazards to be driving like this and it is a very costly fix for a problem that should not be happening this early on or at all with a vehicle.

- Fresno, CA, USA

May 112012

Maxima

Every time I put car in gear it jumps and feels like car falling apart. As I am driving and get up to 50 miles per hour the car will jerk. I have replaced motor mounts, had transmission flushes, transmission fluid changes, new tires and car still jerks and tranny and gear shafts are faulty. The entire body of car feels like it's coming apart.

- Long Beach, MS, USA

Nov 052013

Maxima

I bought the car with 81,000. Soon after, the transmission in the car started giving me hickups now and then and now, it hard shift from third to fourth and sometimes 1 to 2nd. The car has now 89,000 and I'm very disappointed with this for. A car with less than 100K miles.

- Mahopac , NY, USA

Feb 102013

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission is slipping and bucking so hard that it feels as if you either hit someone or someone has hit you from behind. Causes you to lose speed and makes the cars behind you to slow down to avoid rear ending collision. When the vehicle is like this it gives you a very uneasy feeling as to what will happen next to cause you to become a hazard and put yourself and others in danger. The vehicle has gone through 2 rebuilt transmissions already this year alone and the problem is starting to resurface again.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Oct 012013

Maxima 6-cyl

I was a proud owner of a 2006 Maxima but now I am very disappointed. About two months ago, my car started jerking when switching gears, accelerating, parking, and slowing down. I went to Nissan and they told me that my transmission had internal failures and needed to be replaced at $4200!!! my car only has 73,000 miles should not need a new transmission. I looked on the internet and discovered that there are thousands of people who have had the same issues and have filed a class action lawsuit against Nissan because they know that their transmissions are messed up and they are trying not to own up to it. This is a safety concern because when it jerks violently or stalls, you lose control of the car which is very scary and terrifying. I will never buy another Nissan again!!!

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Dec 122013

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while attempting to park, the vehicle accelerated independently. The vehicle was stopped by the contact applying the parking brake, depressing the brake pedal and powering off the vehicle simultaneously. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where the contact was informed that a spiral cable harness and the cruise control switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Blackwood, NJ, USA

Nov 192013

Maxima

Pulling out into traffic car accelerated forward and stopped.no gears not even reverse, my wife and granddaughter were stuck in middle of 4lane with no way to go anywhere.Nissan doesn't think they are liable.now I have to pay 2700 dollars for a transmission that has only 82000 miles on it. I have owned 4 Nissan in past, but no more.

- Midway, TN, USA

Oct 142013

Maxima 6-cyl

While in 3rd gear going into 4th, it would hesitate for a good 2 seconds then pop into 4th. It also started doing the same thing while going into reverse from drive and vice versa. I just think it's quite suspicious that these problems I've been having with this car just started happening within a couple thousand miles of my warranty ending.

- Lake Elsinore, CA, USA

Oct 012013

Maxima 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Maxima with 78,000 miles. About 2 months ago the automatic transmission started jerking when shifting from gear 1 to gear 2. also jerking from reverse into drive. After stopping, the transmission does not engage and the rpms sky rocket until the gear engages. I have had the transmission serviced but the problem still continues. This is a major problem in heavy traffic where stopping and starting is required due to stop signs and lights. It could also result in another car rear-ending me because the transmission will not engage immediately when accelerating.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 202012

Maxima

I have a 2006 Nissan Maxima, I bought it used in 2011, about 6 months after the transmission starting small jerking when putting in reverse or drive. Then in January 2013 it started slipping in 1st 2nd and sometimes 3rd gears, I have also had the rpms rev up high and when the transmission finally engages it jerks so hard it feels like everything under the car is going to fall out! I have found out that I am looking at $3500 to repair and it would be a used transmission that is going to produce the same problems as my current one. I feel Nissan motor co should step up to the plate and take care of this problem!!!

- Greenbrier , AR, USA

Sep 172013

Maxima

When I'm driving slow in my 2006 Nissan Maxima, the rpms jump up to 3000. When I press on the gas it doesn't accelerate, the rpms just jump high. It mainly happens when I'm driving slow through residential neighborhoods.

- Cherry Hill, NJ, USA

Oct 152012

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the vehicle jerked abnormally. The failure was recurring. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Waynesboro, MS, USA

Sep 092013

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact was driving 20 mph when vehicle jerked while shifting gears. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The contact was advised that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Cedar Hill, TX, USA

Jun 012013

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated the vehicle jerked, while shifting gears. The vehicle was taken to the dealer a diagnostic was performed the transmission fluid and the valve gasket was replaced; however the failure was not corrected. The vehicle was taken a transmission specialist for a second opinion and the contact was advised that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 119,000 and current mileage was 124,000.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Jul 042011

Maxima 6-cyl

When the vehicle is shifted from park to drive there is a hard jerk prior to engagement.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Jan 142011

Maxima

While driving home in rush hour traffic with my 2 kids in the car, at a stop light, my Maxima all of a sudden wouldn't shift into gear. The engine would rev, but no movement happened. I tried every gear and was able to get over from the far lane to a parking lot (while almost getting hit twice). My car was towed to the Nissan dealership where I was told that the car that I had only had since 06/2010 needed its transmission replaced. Thankfully we had bought the extended warranty. Well, 5 months later in may of 2011, my car started jerking badly when shifting and sometimes didn't want to go into gear when shifting from reverse to drive. Guess what, Nissan dealership said the last transmission (2nd one for the car that was 5 years old had 85000 miles on it)was defective and needed to be replaced. Again, it was under warranty because it had been less than 12 mths or 12000 miles on the last transmission they had put in the car. Shockingly, here it is, a little over 2 years later and guess what"??? my car isn't wanting to go into reverse or drive without waiting for 30-90 seconds. Called the Nissan dealership and they are pretty sure the car needs a new transmission!!!!!! this will be the 4th transmission this 7 year old car has had. It has 125000 miles on the car, shouldn't it just be having transmission issues now???" oh and to top it all off, the car is no longer covered under the extended warranty and the Nissan won't cover the cost of replacing this transmission because it has been more than 12000 miles/12 mths since the last one was put in! something is definitely wrong with Nissan transmissions and I too will be sure to never purchase a Nissan ever again and will be sure to let all my friends know not to either!

- Parker, CO, USA

May 012013

Maxima 6-cyl

I recently purchased a 2006 Nissan Maxima automatic transmission with roughly 47.5K miles on it. When I am in traffic and accelerating and breaking constantly, my car jams into gear. When I go from drive to reverse and back again (parallel parking, 3-point turn) my car has trouble getting into gear and then finally slams into gear. Mostly happens in first 3 gears. I have researched online and noticed that this is a recurring problem with the valve body in Nissan Maximas, specifically 2006 models.

- South Easton , MA, USA

Aug 152009

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the transmission slipped. The vehicle failed to accelerate and would jerk when the accelerator pedal was engaged. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection. The transmission system was flushed but the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 65000.

- Laurel , MS, USA