CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2006 Nissan Maxima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Maxima:

2006 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Oct 012013

Maxima 6-cyl

After car has been driven for about 30 minutes the transmission slips and hesitates when shifting, especially into and out of 3rd gear. Took it to the dealership and I didn't even have to tell them what was wrong, he asked me if my transmission was acting up. When I said yes he rattled off about 5 things people have been experiencing (hard shifting in reverse, hesitation in upshifting, etc) and I said yes to each one. Without even looking at it he said it would be $4,000 for a new transmission because all of them have that problem. I contacted Nissan about paying for it and they refused, twice. I've almost gotten into a handful of accidents because of this. Switching lanes to pass someone on the highway and the transmission hesitates and sends the RPM's to 7000 and I almost get rear-ended, then when it does shift it jerks so hard the car swerves all over the road. It shifts so hard my engine mounts are broken and need replaced too.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Dec 042013

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle would lunge forward while the brakes were engaged. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician diagnosed that the transmission was separating from the engine. No repairs were made to the vehicle. The manufacture was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000 and the current mileage was 108,000.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Mar 202013

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, there was a sudden reduction in engine power. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who informed the contact that the catalytic converter would need to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The failure mileage and VIN was unavailable.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Mar 132013

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle jerked abnormally as the check engine warning light illuminated. The failure was recurring. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for a diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 53,900.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 112006

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, there was a loud knocking noise from the engine compartment. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the timing chain was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 3,800 and the current mileage was 115,000.

- Miramar, FL, USA

May 112012

Maxima

Every time I put car in gear it jumps and feels like car falling apart. As I am driving and get up to 50 miles per hour the car will jerk. I have replaced motor mounts, had transmission flushes, transmission fluid changes, new tires and car still jerks and tranny and gear shafts are faulty. The entire body of car feels like it's coming apart.

- Long Beach, MS, USA

Aug 252012

Maxima

I had to replace the radiator and the transmission. I spent $4,000 for repairs. Nissan is appealing the class action law suit. I am upside down on this vehicle. I need to get ride of it, now the motor whines??

- Brandon, MS, USA

Jun 102013

Maxima 6-cyl

After my car warms up if I go from neutral to drive it does not change immediately. It takes about 3 to 5 seconds then it slams into gear.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Apr 152013

Maxima 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The tcs, ABS, and the slip warning lights all illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and the contact was informed that a rear sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. One week later the failure recurred. The vehicle was returned to the mechanic and the contact was awaiting the diagnosis. The vehicle was not further repaired. The failure and current mileage was 114,000. The consumer stated the vehicle would suddenly stop, and would not move. Once he removed his foot from the accelerator, the vehicle would just take off. Updated 12/16/13

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jan 052011

Maxima 6-cyl

I purchased my Nissan Maxima brand new in January 2006. I started feeling my car having problems getting in gear in 2011. Now its getting worst. My check engine light is on, and I was told my the dealership that it is the transmission. I have seen now that Nissan had transmission issues with the 2006 Maximas and I believe that they should be recalled. I am in the navy and I need my car, for me and my family and I can't afford to purchase a new transmission, let alone a new car.

- Hoover, AL, USA

Oct 152012

Maxima 6-cyl

Hard shift in low gears when engine is warm/hot. Will rev up to higher RPM when driving slowly then shifts to higher gear.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jan 112012

Maxima 6-cyl

When I first bought the car it was working fine but just two days after the car started to jerk hard the mph would go all the way to the last number like it was reving up took it back to the dealer ship they took it to one of there mechanics and told them that the transmission would had to be replace and Ford wouldnt pay for it not one penny are even half I put down 5000 for the car at they could of paid half are gave us a new car I have two kids with me in the car every day am just scared it my stale when am on the freeway.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Mar 152012

Maxima

Issues with the transmission surging and then a hard jerk or gear shift.took it to the shop, and before checking, the shop owner was familiar with the issue because mine was the 4th '06 Maxima that had been brought in that week with the same problems. I have a black car thats 6 years old and the paint has faded almost to white on the roof of my car.

- Lugoff, SC, USA

Feb 032012

Maxima 6-cyl

I drove to work which is about 10 miles from my residence, parked to retrieve some paprework then returned to my vehicle. I started my vehicle and placed the transmission in drive, with my foot on the brakes as required while changing gears.there was a big time delay before the transmission engaged into the drive position.there also was a loud and very hard "bang" causing me to be forced rearward in the seat and the vehicle jumped forward, as if there was not a foot on the brakes. At this point the vehicle is engaged in the drive position. I spoke to a representative at the dealership where I bought the vehicle new in April of 2006, all they had to say is I must pay $109 for a diagnosis of the problem and hopefully they could duplicate it. I also spoke to Nissan America consumer hotline and they also said that I must have it dealt with through the dealer, and they will see what they could do.at the time of this entry, the vehicle has 55000 mile exact. I have been on numerous site online and saw compliants about the same problem, with the transmission as a known fault. Transmissions from Nissan between the years of 2004 to 2007.all the complainants states they have not gotten any solution from Nissan America.

- Jamaica, NY, USA

May 012012

Maxima

The vehicle is violently jerking and switching between gears while slowing down or going down hill.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Mar 012012

Maxima

I am having a problem with my car jerking profusely when switching gears. It will do this as well when I come to a stop and then take off. There is something definitely wrong with this make/model/year vehicle. I love my car but after seeing throughout the internet alot of people having the exact same problem, I do not believe my next purchase will be a Nissan. The manufacturer should be recalling and fixing this issue. Maybe families that have lost loved ones while driving this vehicle should investigate the cause of accident a little further.

- Falmouth, KY, USA

Jun 102012

Maxima 6-cyl

I was going through a stop sign, and after I stopped, I pressed the gas only to see the rpms shoot up without the vehicle moving for five seconds, then the car finally kicked into gear. This is very unsafe and this is not the first incident.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 022012

Maxima 6-cyl

My car was bought at a Nissan dealership in 2011 of December, in January I noticed the car jerking and shifting while driving 20 to 30 miles. So I took the car back at the dealership and they said that they will only give me another car only if the problem is in the transmission, they told me that the problem is my motor mount is broken, and they don't cover anything outside the transmission or engine only the inside.. the total amount to fix was 500 but I had no money to do it.they gave me an option of taking an extended warranty which it was expensive for me so I shopped for a warranty and I got a full bumper to bumper for a cheaper price than what they gave me. It took me 3months to go back to the dealer with a new warranty they fixed the motor mount but the issue is still their. A Nissan technician took it for a test drive they suggested that I need a new transmission and there's no way I'm willing to give them my car again to fix because it took them along time to realize the problem telling me to fix your car we need to get it out of idle and emission needs to be checked that's what they were saying before they realize its a transmission..I love Nissan Maxima but in order to keep a customer like me to stay loyal please fix the issue and do the right thing by recalling the vehicles.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Nov 122011

Maxima 6-cyl

I was driving 45mph and came to a red light which I stopped and when the light turned green I placed my foot on the gas and my Nissan would not get past 3rd gear and jerked really bad before it would accelerate. This happens now all the time and I even had transmission fluid replaced in my car which has not prevented the issue that I am still having faulty transmission.

- Columbus, OH, USA