Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2007 Nissan Maxima is a very good, reliably vehicle. Beware of Maximas from the 3 previous years though.

Nissan Maximas from 2004-2006 have a widespread transmission defect, but judging from our complaint data, Nissan fixed the problem for the 2007 model.

2007 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Nissan Maxima:

2007 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments

Oct 232015

My car has approximately 60,000 miles on it. When I took it to the dealer for a squeaky noise in the engine, they told me the timing chain was failing and needed to be replaced. My hood and roof also have the clear coat peeling up and fading. Since timing chain is a safety issue, I paid 2,000 for them to fix this. I contacted their Consumer Affairs and since my car is out of warranty, they cannot help me.

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Oct 052015

On 10/05/2015 the car started to shift funny and felt like loss of fuel on starts and turning corners.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Feb 122014

Maxima 6-cyl

My ABS/traction control system failed. Due to the system failing the vehicle transmission malfunctions. This happened while I was driving on the highway traveling at the recommended speed. Due to the ABS/traction control system failing my vehicle decelerated quickly causing a unsafe environment for me, my passenger and the vehicles behind me. Fortunately the vehicles behind me was at a safe distance and no accident was caused. I had to have the vehicle towed to safe location because this malfunction causes the transmission to not shift from a low gear. This problem with my vehicle is unsafe and I have just found that it is a common problem. Yet there has been no responsible action taken by Nissan. Please investigate this issue.

- Warren, OH, USA

Jun 202013

The car makes a knocking sound when the engine is running. I took the car to the dealer and they stated it was the timing chain and tensioner. The cost for repair is 2500. This is the first time I have ever heard of a timing chain going bad with a car with this mileage. I am very upset looked the problem up on the internet and noticed alot of people are having a problem with this on their cars. I feel Nissan should replace this at their cost.

- Trumbull , CT, USA

Jan 012013

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, vehicle speed decreased although the acceleration pedal was depressed. Also, the contact stated that the service engine soon warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000 and the current mileage was 140,200.

- Eau Claire , WI, USA

Nov 122012

When driving H the vehicle had a loss of power when there was a hill and the temperature outside was less than 35 degrees Fahrenheit. This has happened multiple times and has been to a Nissan mechanic and was told they could not duplicate the problem. The rpms on the vehicle will bounce between 2000 to 4000 RPM or more but the vehicle will still not accelerate any further. This is very dangerous on the road. The problem is recurring and has not been fixed. The Nissan mechanic said they couldn't do anything until there was a code sensor to look at. We were also informed to buy new tires with the thinking that might be the problem.

- Plattsburg, MO, USA

Jul 262012

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Maxima. The contact was driving 65 mph when the speed began to decrease despite the accelerator pedal being depressed. The vehicle was towed to the contacts home and then to the dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 96,500.

- Jonesboro, GA, USA

Dec 312011

Maxima 6-cyl

While driving onto the highway from an off ramp, the power in my car failed. The RPM's were very high, but there was no power. After pressing and releasing the gas several times, the power picked up and the car drove normally. On January 3, while trying to drive 30 mph to work, the car felt as if it was shifting between gears on its own. No matter how I was pressing on the gas pedal, the car sped up and slowed down on it's own. It was very scary having the car speed up on it's own. I took the car to a mechanic and I was told that I need an entirely new transmission. The car had less than 15 miles on it when I bought it in 2007, needing a new transmission is unacceptable and having the car speed be out of control is an undoubted safety hazard.

- Stevens Point, WI, USA