CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Maxima continues a very good model year (2007 is also good) with an extremely low complaint rate & no major defects. Beware of Maximas from 2009, & 2004-2006 though.

Nissan Maximas from 2004-2006 have a widespread transmission defect, but judging from our complaint data, Nissan fixed the problem starting with the 2007 model.

The 2009 Maxima has an expensive problem where the steering lock prevents the car from starting, & costs upwards of $1,000 to fix!

2008 Nissan Maxima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Nissan Maxima:

2008 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments

Feb 142015

Maxima

Vehicle hesitates to shift the transmission during acceleration. Most noticeable while the vehicle is going up an hill. The transmission produce a whining sound if the pedal is depressed to increase the acceleration. Transmission was replaced at just below 33,000 miles by the dealer. The ABS motor is running intermittently when the surface is dry and no rain or snow. This car was taken to the dealer numerous times without being repaired or an accurate diagnosis of the problem. The hinges on the hood and the doors are rusting.

- White Plains, NY, USA

Jun 192008

Maxima

I was on my way to church from my sisters house for a women's group meeting. My sister lives around the corner approximately a block from the church and I would generally ride with her except she had a rehearsal afterwards. I pulled into a parking spot and my sister pulled up next to me. I had my foot on the brakes because I was parking and before I could switch my vehicle from drive to park, the vehicle started to accelerate and I ran into the church. We were the only two at the church at the time besides the pastor who was inside of the church because she gets their first being that she teaches the women's ministry. I bought the vehicle less than two months ago and had been experiencing problems with it accelerating some when I apply the brakes. I was going to Kansas City one day and my aunt asked me to drive. I had just purchased the vehicle but told her that I was a bit afraid to travel in the vehicle because it accelerates slightly when breaking. I also had my sister who witnessed the accident, test drive the vehicle prior to the accident on a few occasions because I felt that there was a problem with it accelerating. She noticed it as well and said that I needed to get it checked out at the dealership. I had plans to take the vehicle to the dealership soon but, just hadn't done it yet. Like I said, it would accelerate but only slightly. It was as if I was breaking and it was accelerating at the same time. I wish that I'd taken it in sooner. Thankfully no one was hurt. Both my vehicle and the church will need repair, and my neck was a pit sore, but I am thankful that I am ok and that no one was injured. I had my vehicle towed to the dealership but they said that they could not find anything wrong with it. I find it quite strange that I was parked and all of a sudden my vehicle takes off as if I was pressing on the gas. This is mind boggling.

- Topeka, KS, USA