CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Maxima continues a very good model year (2007 is also good) with an extremely low complaint rate & no major defects. Beware of Maximas from 2009, & 2004-2006 though.

Nissan Maximas from 2004-2006 have a widespread transmission defect, but judging from our complaint data, Nissan fixed the problem starting with the 2007 model.

The 2009 Maxima has an expensive problem where the steering lock prevents the car from starting, & costs upwards of $1,000 to fix!

2008 Nissan Maxima seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Nissan Maxima:

2008 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments

Oct 242015

Airbag

- Ellenwood, GA, USA

Apr 152015

Maxima

Air bag warning light came on. I took same to Nissan dealership service center and had a diagnostic test done on it which cost me $98 and the advised me that the air bag spring is weak, air bag has never been deploy and then the tell me if in an accident it may/may not deploy. (also if hit a hard enough bump it may cause it to) this has to be a defect why would a steering wheel air bag spring just go weak and there is not wear and tear to it. This sounds like a defect to me. I have known a guy that had to replace his. So I am probably not the only one with this problem going on. When this happen I checked for recalls by it stated none had been reported.

- Lumberton, NC, USA

Jul 072015

Maxima

Takata recall - the airbag light is on and per the dealer the spiral cable and clock spring needs to be replaced. They explained that the part is what's needed for the airbag to return back once deployed. They informed me the airbag will deploy if in an accident, but it won't return like it was originally designed to do. The vehicle has never been in an accident; therefore, the airbag hasn't been deployed.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 162015

Maxima

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Maxima. The contact noticed a crack near the front passenger side air bag on the dashboard. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but they were unable to repair the dashboard due to it being above the air bag. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 112,000.

- Cordoda, TN, USA

Sep 082015

Maxima

The driver side airbag has malfunction with the light constantly flashing. Took vehicle to Nissan dealers to diagnose what is causing the problem with airbag light constantly flashing and was told they do not know, but if I get involve in an accident the airbag probably will not inflate. They print out several steps Nissan North America recommends to fix the problem which would cost me thousands of dollars. My seat-belts are powertrain until 2018. This makes no since that my driver side airbag all of a sudden stop working even though I have had no accidents involving my car therefore, Nissan should voluntarily fix the problem before I am involved in an accident and my airbag does not inflate which could lead to deadly consequences. I want the fhta to contact Nissan and have them to work to resolve this issue before it leaves to something seriously. Nissan dealer even stated that this problem might have happen by me turning my steering wheel which made no sense to me.

- Mill Creek, WA, USA

Mar 102015

Maxima

Visible cuts on the passenger side airbags started to form on the dash board outlining the shape airbag container underneath. Afraid that this might cause an accidental deploy. Contacted Nissan but they refused to fix the problem.

- Amherst, NY, USA

Mar 122014

Maxima

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Maxima. While driving at least 15 mph, the vehicle was involved in a minor crash. The passenger side air bag deployed without warning. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. Although the insurance company declared the vehicle as destroyed, the contact repaired the vehicle, but did not repair the air bag. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V136000(air bags). The approximate failure mileage was 125,000.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Apr 232014

Maxima 6-cyl

I noticed a small crack on the passenger side dash. The small crack has grown to 4 inches. There is a clear "line" that the crack is following - and it appears to be exactly where the air bag would deploy. The dealership suggested that someone used a knife or scissors on the dash?? no vinyl repair shop will attempt a repair as it is near the airbag. There is one other complaint registered for this same issue. Clearly it is a manufacturer's issue that Nissan will not take care of.

- Austin, TX, USA

Dec 032014

Maxima

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while operating the vehicle, the air bag sensor light would flash off and on. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the front passenger seat air bag sensor was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 63,700.

- Altamonte Springs, FL, USA

Jul 062014

Maxima 6-cyl

I started noticing a crack in the dashboard - passenger side front seat in the summer. The crack continues to grow and it looks like the airbag is about to burst out. You can see a definite line where the crack is going to continue to grow. The outline of the airbag is obvious, which I have never seen before. I have asked if my vehicle has a takata airbag, which no one will answer.

- Enoree, SC, USA

Feb 172011

Maxima

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Maxima. The contact was sitting idle at a traffic stop when a vehicle crashed into the rear of his vehicle at approximately 35 mph, which caused the vehicle to front end an eighteen wheel truck. The contacts airbags did not deploy. The contact sustained neck and muscle injuries. A passenger sustained injuries to the lower back. The vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed. The current and failure mileage was approximately 38,000.

- Belle Harbor, NY, USA

May 152010

Maxima

My airbag module sensor light was activated, it has been flashing and becoming very annoying. I recently purchase my used 2008 Nissan Maxima 3 months ago. I went to the dealer, got a diagnostic check done and was advised it would be $915 to replace the module because I exceeded the 3/36 warranty. I feel this is a safety issue and Nissan should be held responsible for fixing the faulty equipment.

- Conyers, GA, USA

Feb 282008

Maxima 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Maxima. While the contact's 85 pound wife was seated in the passenger seat, the air bag light illuminated and dimmed intermittently. The sales dealer stated that the light should work properly with someone between 70-80 lbs in the seat. After inspecting the vehicle, the dealer and the manufacturer stated that nothing could be done. The current mileage was 4,190 and failure mileage was approximately 3,000. Updated 04/21/08

- Englewood, OH, USA