Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: We don't recommend the 2009 Maxima nearly as highly as the 2007-2008 Maxima, because NHTSA complaints show a pattern of the steering lock module failing.

When the module fails it prevents the car from starting, & Nissan dealers charge over $1,000 (!!) to repair it. Nissan recalled the module on some other 2009 models with the same steering lock problem, but for some reason they left out the 2009 Maxima.

If you're thinking about buying a 2009 Maxima, instead consider a 2007-2008, or 2010 (or newer).

2009 Nissan Maxima brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Maxima:

2009 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments

Dec 192009

It has been two months since my Nissan Maxima 2009 had a problem with failed brakes. There has been no response from Nissan usa Corp. Except to say that their engineer has inspected the vehicle. Both myself and the service manager at my Nissan car dealership here in saginaw tried multiple times to talk to the people at Nissan but we are left with no answers. I don't know what's wrong with the brakes and I am afraid to take it out on the road. I have had a rental car for the last two months with only a verbal reassurance that the Nissan corporation would pay for it. I am wondering whether you can look into this matter and whether Nissan also has problems with their brakes like the Toyota. Thank you for your consideration.

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Dec 172009

The brakes on my Nissan Maxima failed and I was almost hit by cars as I slid into a major intersection while braking for a red light. I was only driving at 5mph because I saw the light from about five car lengths away and I braked at 2 car lengths away from the light. I braked again twice but the brakes continued to fail as I slid into the intersection. Luckily for me, the oncoming traffic was able to stop in time for me to move the car to a safe position. The brakes then held again until I drove to the dealer.the brake problem occurred twice before though I did not recognize it as such, once on the same day and once within the same week. It was intermittent. It occurred at speeds less than 20mph and within 10 minutes of starting the car and driving. The outside temperature was 20 to 25 degrees F and the roads were clean. I immediately took the car to the dealer who said that Nissan engineers have to evaluate the car. Its been more than three weeks, neither the dealer nor I have heard from Nissan as to what they are doing about it. I even reported the incidents to the online Nissan consumers.they acknowledged receiving the complaint and that's all. I am still driving the rental car arranged by the dealer.

- Saginaw, MI, USA