CarComplaints.com Notes: We don't recommend the 2009 Maxima nearly as highly as the 2007-2008 Maxima, because NHTSA complaints show a pattern of the steering lock module failing.

When the module fails it prevents the car from starting, & Nissan dealers charge over $1,000 (!!) to repair it. Nissan recalled the module on some other 2009 models with the same steering lock problem, but for some reason they left out the 2009 Maxima.

If you're thinking about buying a 2009 Maxima, instead consider a 2007-2008, or 2010 (or newer).

2.6

2009 Nissan Maxima electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Maxima:

2009 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Mar 122012

Maxima

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that at engine startup, the check engine warning light illuminated and sparks became visible once the hood was opened. The fire department was contacted and a report was filed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the dealer confirmed that the alternator had melted and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileages were 130,000.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Sep 252009

Maxima 6-cyl

While traveling in the number (2) lane of the us 405 N freeway at speeds of over 65 mph, I noticed that the battery light started flickering, and within 10 seconds the accelerator ceased to respond when pressure was applied. When the accelerator was pushed, the engine would rev, and the RPM gauge would show the gauge moving up, but the engine would not respond. I pushed the accelerator all the way inwards, but the engine would not respond. Approximately 15-20 seconds later, I noticed that the engine ceased operating, and the wheel locked. I was also unable to apply the brakes, as when I pushed the brakes nothing happened and the brake pedal felt very stiff and non-responsive. At the same time, lights on the dashboard cluster were illuminated. I started panicking as I had no control of a vehicle traveling over 60 mph on a freeway during evening hours los angeles traffic. I immediately activated my emergency indicators, and waited in complete panic until the vehicle came to a rolling stop on the side of the freeway. During the same evening, the vehicle started to exhibit the same malfunctions as experienced earlier that day and the vehicle died in the middle of the street. Diagnosis: Client states vehicle won't start. Brake and battery lights are on after charging the battery performed battery test with the battery tester center midtronics Nissan mcr620. GR8 battery tester was unable at this time. Test results good battery and charging system incident. Upon inspection terminal 1 connector F6 found terminal melting where connect to alternator and also part of the harness and alternator burnt due to terminal nut loose and has much play. Call Nissan tech line, and report the incident and also for help. The consumer also stated when he applied the brake, the steering wheel and the entire vehicle started to shake. The battery light would illuminate at times when the vehicle was in park and would start to flicker and flash. Updated 05/05/10.

- Porter Ranch, CA, USA

Jun 042009

Maxima

I purchase my 2004 Nissan Maxima in July 2003. Since I have had the car I've had nothing but major problems. I perform the required maintenance on the car and still have numerous problems. I have had to replace things that should have lasted on the car the cd player has been replace and when out again twice. Tensor assembly and timing belt also 1500. And now I have the replace my transmission another $3100. This is ridiculous for a car that has a luxury price tag. Nissan has not be helpful at all and do not try to answer of help in any way. Nissan needs to recall all 2004 models.

- Waldorf, MD, USA