CarComplaints.com Notes: We don't recommend the 2009 Maxima nearly as highly as the 2007-2008 Maxima, because NHTSA complaints show a pattern of the steering lock module failing.

When the module fails it prevents the car from starting, & Nissan dealers charge over $1,000 (!!) to repair it. Nissan recalled the module on some other 2009 models with the same steering lock problem, but for some reason they left out the 2009 Maxima.

If you're thinking about buying a 2009 Maxima, instead consider a 2007-2008, or 2010 (or newer).

2.5

2009 Nissan Maxima electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Maxima:

2009 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Dec 112012

Maxima 6-cyl

Steering wheel lock/ignition part failed just out of warranty. Part# 48700-9N00B.

- Granger, IN, USA

Dec 122012

Maxima

The steering wheel lock issue is leaving Maximas stranded unable to start the car with these symptoms. What happens is when you try to start the car, without warning, the electric lock fails to unlock sending error message to the BCM. The car will not start in this case and will flash the intelligent key warning in the cluster. This is a known common problem with this model and a $1000 repair. It is obviously a design flaw. This should be a recall.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Sep 142012

Maxima 6-cyl

My car was parked in my parking spot at my town home.I went to start it and the battery was completely dead.I went to release the trunk lid and the trunk would not open it operates on the battery.there is no ket slot to open the trunk.I contacted Consumer Affairs at Nissan and they agreed there is no key slot on the trunk.when asked them how to get in my trunk to get my battery cables and my emergency kit(which came with the car).I was told the only way to open the trunk was to release the back rest on the rear seat and crawl in the trunk and pull the release on the trunk lid.when asked is there a fix for this problem I was told no.I am a man of 70yrs.old with a bad back how am I supposed to crawl in a trunk.as I stated the car came wit an emergency kit what good is it if I can't get to it.to me this a very dangerous problem.if were on the side of a road when this happened when cars are doing 60 to 70 mph I could get hurt or killed I would appreciate some one looking into this dangerous problem.

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Jun 182012

Maxima 6-cyl

We bought our Maxima brandnew in July of 2009. Loved everything about until this past June of 2012. Our first problem was some clitching electrical wiring. The outside mirrors wouldn't move up and down when we put the car in reverse. This would happen off and on while we took our trip out of town in June. After we came back my husband made a appointment to get it checked out, but because the outside mirrors were working again we just let it be and didn't follow up with the Nissan service department. In July of 2012 I was sitting in my parked car when I was ready to leave, I started my car only to hear this awful sort of grinding noise. I had a tow company come to tell that my battery was "dead". which I was surprised, because my car is just 3 years old and I only had 24577 miles on it. The towing company charged my battery for me to make it across the street to autozone, where I got a new battery. I remember the last time when I brought in the car for service, the lady was telling me that I needed to drive my car more often due to the battery being "low". which I thought was strange, I mean how inconvenient is that to have to drive you're car every day, because if you don't the battery just "dies" on you"! my last incident with my car happened this past Monday 09/17/2012 when I turn my car off, suddenly I hear again this awful grinding noise coming from the panel. Come to find out after I called the Nissan dealer that it was the steering column and that the motor need to be replaced and this is happening 2 months after my warranty ran out! I called Nissan dealer, they told me to bring it in. Seeing my car is 3 years old..to me it should be a recall factory issue! and I shouldn't have to pay for it! they say this is a common problem" I don't think so! Nissan need to make this steering column a recall issue! because it is a dangerous defect.

- Lorton, VA, USA

Mar 252012

Maxima 6-cyl

My family and I were driving South bound on the New Jersey turnpike at 75 mph and the car shutdown, it would not accelerate and lost power. Luckily we were in the right lane and I acted quickly to turn on the hazards and get off the highway on to the shoulder to avoid a serious accident. This car only has ~16000 miles as well as all of its scheduled maintenance is up to date. After getting it towed to the Nissan dealership they informed us that it was a problem with the mass air flow sensor and that even though the car was within the warranty period the warranty would not cover it as they found a leaf in the sensor. We have no way to verify that there was a leaf in the sensor and the car is kept in a garage and/or driveway nowhere near a tree. We wanted to report this incident so that if more incidents like this occur maybe a recall is warranted as Nissan's engineering of the vehicles could be at fault. How could a leaf in get in there" if a leaf does get in why would that corrode the part"

- Havertown, PA, USA

Mar 122012

Maxima

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that at engine startup, the check engine warning light illuminated and sparks became visible once the hood was opened. The fire department was contacted and a report was filed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the dealer confirmed that the alternator had melted and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileages were 130,000.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Sep 252009

Maxima 6-cyl

While traveling in the number (2) lane of the us 405 N freeway at speeds of over 65 mph, I noticed that the battery light started flickering, and within 10 seconds the accelerator ceased to respond when pressure was applied. When the accelerator was pushed, the engine would rev, and the RPM gauge would show the gauge moving up, but the engine would not respond. I pushed the accelerator all the way inwards, but the engine would not respond. Approximately 15-20 seconds later, I noticed that the engine ceased operating, and the wheel locked. I was also unable to apply the brakes, as when I pushed the brakes nothing happened and the brake pedal felt very stiff and non-responsive. At the same time, lights on the dashboard cluster were illuminated. I started panicking as I had no control of a vehicle traveling over 60 mph on a freeway during evening hours los angeles traffic. I immediately activated my emergency indicators, and waited in complete panic until the vehicle came to a rolling stop on the side of the freeway. During the same evening, the vehicle started to exhibit the same malfunctions as experienced earlier that day and the vehicle died in the middle of the street. Diagnosis: Client states vehicle won't start. Brake and battery lights are on after charging the battery performed battery test with the battery tester center midtronics Nissan mcr620. GR8 battery tester was unable at this time. Test results good battery and charging system incident. Upon inspection terminal 1 connector F6 found terminal melting where connect to alternator and also part of the harness and alternator burnt due to terminal nut loose and has much play. Call Nissan tech line, and report the incident and also for help. The consumer also stated when he applied the brake, the steering wheel and the entire vehicle started to shake. The battery light would illuminate at times when the vehicle was in park and would start to flicker and flash. Updated 05/05/10.

- Porter Ranch, CA, USA

Jun 042009

Maxima

I purchase my 2004 Nissan Maxima in July 2003. Since I have had the car I've had nothing but major problems. I perform the required maintenance on the car and still have numerous problems. I have had to replace things that should have lasted on the car the cd player has been replace and when out again twice. Tensor assembly and timing belt also 1500. And now I have the replace my transmission another $3100. This is ridiculous for a car that has a luxury price tag. Nissan has not be helpful at all and do not try to answer of help in any way. Nissan needs to recall all 2004 models.

- Waldorf, MD, USA