CarComplaints.com Notes: We don't recommend the 2009 Maxima nearly as highly as the 2007-2008 Maxima, because NHTSA complaints show a pattern of the steering lock module failing.

When the module fails it prevents the car from starting, & Nissan dealers charge over $1,000 (!!) to repair it. Nissan recalled the module on some other 2009 models with the same steering lock problem, but for some reason they left out the 2009 Maxima.

If you're thinking about buying a 2009 Maxima, instead consider a 2007-2008, or 2010 (or newer).

2.6

2009 Nissan Maxima steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Maxima:

2009 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 3 of 7)

Dec 082015

Maxima

Car was parked. Car will not start steering locked

- Hudson, FL, USA

Nov 232015

Maxima

I was stranded at work due to my steering wheel locking device would not unlock. Nothing we tried worked. Had my car towed to dealership to find out that this is a major issue with other owners. No recall on this safety issue at this time. Nissan gave an extended warranty instead but did not make all owners aware. I was never notified of this issue. Dealership repaired the device and I have a bill for $906 that is not covered under warranty because it expired June 2015.

- Bessemer City, NC, USA

Nov 212015

Maxima

Takata recall this whole steering lock situation is an absolute outrage. Apparently Nissan does not feel they are responsible for paying or replacing this defect. I know they've lost my business. I feel as well as many others this should be a recall. I am not the only person who has complained or had this problem. It is hundreds of dollars to fix and after reading there are tons of cases identical to mine. I had to leave my car unattended at our local jcpenney's for two days and two nights because the vehicle completely locked up.

- Hutchinson, KS, USA

Nov 142015

Maxima

Unable to start car due to streering is locked. No power to turn on any accessories.

- Pomona, CA, USA

Nov 112015

Maxima

I was driving along a highway at 50 mph. When the steering wheel suddenly fell to my knees. This car has a retractable steering system. I was able to steer the car safely to the side of the road. I did not drive the car. The steering wheel was then able to be pushed back into the driving position. I brought the car to the dealership today, and they told me that the two electric motors in the steering column were defective (had to be replace) the cost woulkd be $2,000. The car has just 60,000 miles.

- Stoughton, MA, USA

Oct 242015

Maxima

Unable to start vehicle, steering column won't unlock. Occurs when vehicle is parked. Seems to be a well known issue with the steering mechanism unable to properly signal the BCM. Stranding the driver.

- Frisco, TX, USA

Oct 242015

Maxima

I have not had the car long enough to pay the taxes and the steering locks. Warranty will not cover this is a mess over $1100 to repair. I was going to get my aunt picture copied for her wedding she is deceased. I didn't get the picture and I missed the wedding waiting on the tow truck. Really 😡 upset with Nissan I don't think I will be buying another one ever. Many people has had this issue yet Nissan will not fix this issue. Very dissatisfied customer

- Gray Court, SC, USA

Sep 292015

Maxima

I got in my car tried turning it on and it would not turn over at all. I knew it wasn't the battery because all lights were on and fob still worked. When I put the actual key in slot it gave the missing key light. I had to have it towed to Nissan where they told me it would be 1100 to fix the steering wheel lock. After researching online I saw a lot of the same complaints, and that Nissan had issued an extended warranty. After calling Nissan Consumer Affairs they informed me that my warranty had expired 4 months ago but that they would escalate to see if they would cover a portion. After being strung for three days, they decided that they would not cover any of the cost. They also informed me prior that normal protocol was for Consumer Affairs to call the dealership where the car was which they never did for, I just got an automatic no!

- Dallas, TX, USA

Sep 012015

Maxima 6-cyl

2009 Nissan Maxima. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle steering wheel lock malfunction.

- Norcross, GA, USA

Aug 202015

Maxima

Daughter drove car home from school. Went to leave a couple hours later for volleyball practice and the car was completely frozen. We could not depress the gas pedal and there were 2 lights on the dashboard that kept flashing. One was red and had a key symbol in it and the other was orange and said the word key in it. The car was stuck in the garage, could not even move it into neutral to be towed, had to get the towing guy to go get another mechanic to use a screwdriver to release a mechanism that would allow them to put the car in neutral so they would not have to "drag" it out of the garage. Ended up being the steering lock with a cost for parts of $684.87 - total cost with labor $964.76. We were informed that this particular part had an extended warranty put on it that was good through may of 2015. Didn't matter the mileage on the car, apparently it was only a time issued warranty. So, once may came and went - you paid for your own part. We are curious as to why this was not made a recall verses an extended warranty situation. We are now out $1000 for something that Nissan knows is a problem, yet has not done the proper thing by issuing a full recall for this problem.

- Garner, NC, USA

May 152015

Maxima

I attempted to start my car as I left work one afternoon and it would not start. The push start button was in the lock mode and the picture in the dash indicated that my wheel was locked, while my ant-theft light flashed continuously. I made several different attempts for hours to unlock the steering collar myself and start my car, only to fail over and over again which lead to me having it towed to a local Nissan dealership, the next day. The dealership ran a diagnostic test on the car and told me that I needed a new steering lock box, which typically does not go out on cars like mine (2009 Nissan Maxima). This seems to be a manufacture defect but I am being charged at least $1000 to fix this problem, with no fault of my own. Will you assist me in resolving this problem?

- Memphis, TN, USA

Apr 172015

Maxima

Came out to my car; car wouldn't start. Push start/stop button in "lock" mode; key light indicator flashed; anti-theft light in "steady" mode. Called niss. Roadside asst. To be told that it would be $82 for towing to the nearest dealership after only wanting help with battery testing. I put the towing on hold. Called the nearest niss. Dealership directly. Was told that it may be the key fob batteries. My daughter and I walked home for close asst. To drive to niss. For new key fob batteries. Returned back to my car to test the key fob with no luck. Doors lcked/unlcked, windows let down; didn't let back up; it was raining! used my own jumper cables for battery testing. Not the battery! lights worked. My battery was brand new and recently purchased. Contacted my ins. For overnight tow to Nissan. Researched on the issue and came to the steering column unit failing often. Nissan ext. Warranty is 6 yrs/unl. Mileage; was relieved. Nissan worked on my car from 7:21A to 3:40P. Told me the steering column unit was out of warranty last yr. Only had the car for 5yrs! took Nissan 5hrs for a diagnostics on my car saying my battery was dead; need to swap it out with theirs to run the test. My battery was brand new! 1hr. Later, diagnosed as faulty steering column module. Contacted niss. Consumer Affairs and escalated to regional. Niss. Gave me a price of $1071 to fix. Told Nissan I would try to fix the module myself and have it towed to where I originally bought my battery due to existing warranty. However, towing was too expensive and fixing it myself would prb not work. Spoke with service mgr. Who said they could charge me for swapping out batteries but will only charge me $1027.98. Total ripoff and Nissan lied about my battery results. Took it to my orig. Shop; ran the battery; was in good condition and fully charged! want a full refund; should be a recall!!!! lost a customer!!!!

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Apr 022015

Maxima 6-cyl

Car does not start. Difficult time getting into the car while using my key fob. When I push the ignition button there is no nose and no lights. Tried jumping the car for 15 minutes with no success. I was told by the Nissan dealership mechanic that it is the steering lock system. This is going to cost me for towing and labor and parts. Money I do not have. Reading up on this problem tells me that there should have been a recall.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Mar 072015

Maxima 6-cyl

Went to store this morning to get coffee, got back in car and it would not start. Indicators suggest no key and one suggest key in car. Cost me $75 to have it towed and just found out it will cost $1,000 for repairs. Very upset and would like Nissan to make this a recall.

- Bensalem, PA, USA

Feb 192015

Maxima

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start and all the warning lights on the instrument panel illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the steering lock needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 133,000.

- Hermitage, TN, USA

Feb 102015

Maxima 6-cyl

I get in my car by opening the doors with my intelligent key (in other words, the battery isn't dead). Once inside the car, the key light blinks on even though I had the key in my hand. I can't start the car or even press the brake in, the car won't go into acc mode because it doesn't detect the key (again, I'm able to lock, unlock doors, open hood and even sound off the alarm through the same intelligent key..?).I put the fob into the slot and it flashes to eject it...now my car will not start and my windows are stuck down...I went to get my other key fob and still doesn't read the key...now my car is stuck and I can not drive it...soooo what I have tried to do was beating on the steering column, making it tilt and all over N over and nothing... unplugging the battery for over 30 minutes in hopes of 'restarting' the alarm system putting in the intelligent key into the slot where the key goes (off the left side of the steering wheel)..still key light blinks indicating I need a key....now looking this up there are alot others with this problem with a 09-10 Nissan Maxima and the gtr has same issue and a recall was done on that...so can we please get a recall on the 09 Nissan Maxima so this can be solved for myself and others?

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Feb 022015

Maxima 6-cyl

Ntb09-094 steering column comfort adjustment the steering column power adjustment (tilt or telescope) does not work or makes abnormal noise when operating the switch. Although it is known problem and defect it is not covered by any warranty.

- Houston , TX, USA

Jan 162015

Maxima 6-cyl

2009 Nissan Maxima, purchased new--key fob light indicator illuminated on dashboard, car won't start, brake lights work, key fob unlocks doors and trunk. Warranty expired about 1K miles ago. I was told that the steering lock part, which may repair/solve the matter is about $1200. I am repulsed and utterly disgusted. Prior to this matter, the tilt feature [for steering wheel) on the car ceased to work.

- Washington, DC, USA

Aug 012014

Maxima 6-cyl

In August of 2014 I got in my car, 2009 Nissan Maxima, started it. Memory is set for my drivers seat. Seat set as normal. Steering/tilt did not move as it is set to my position. Did not move in, out, up nor down tried to set it, did not work manually either. Took my car to dealer, they said the motor has gone out in steer/tilt and it will cost close to $500 to get fixed.

- Decatur, IL, USA

Nov 302014

Maxima

Today I got stranded, my 2009 Nissan Maxima wouldn't start due to my steering wheel being locked and wouldn't unlock. Tried everything the manual stated and nothing worked. Now I have to take it to the dealer where I'm going to get charged a lot of money for something that the dealer should pay for. I did some research and found out that Nissan is aware of this malfunction but does not place a recall on it. My car isn't even paid off yet and I'm having an issue with it. I don't understand? I bought my car brand new in 2009 and is well maintained with low miles. Nissan should put a recall on this problem, it can be dangerous.

- Tulare , CA, USA