CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2010 Nissan Maxima is a very good reliable vehicle. Beware of Maximas from 2009, and 2004-2006 though.

The 2009 Maxima has an expensive problem where the steering lock prevents the car from starting, & costs upwards of $1,000 to fix!

Nissan Maximas from 2004-2006 have a widespread transmission defect, but judging from our complaint data, Nissan fixed the transmission problem starting with the 2007 model.

For the 2010 Maxima, so far so good!

2.4

2010 Nissan Maxima steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Nissan Maxima:

2010 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Jan 012017

See attachments

- Hillsboro, OR, USA

Jan 052017

Maxima

Went to use car before work and it wouldn't start. To the proper measures to start it by giving it a jump and no avail. I finally looked in the manual for the warning Nissan intelligent key issue and no solution was found. I began research and found this is a national problem and 09 Nissan were recalled for this issue but not newer models. This tends to happen after 65K miles and my car is at 91K. The repairs are expensive and caused to a defect not the wear and tear of the driver. Nissan should be held accountable.

- Orange, NJ, USA

Dec 302016

Maxima

The car doesn't start, the steering wheel is not locked and it shows a red light with a key in the dashboard, I was in a parking lot doing grocery and when I went to the car to go back home it didn't start, showing that red light with a key on it.

- Spring Valley, NY, USA

Dec 162016

Maxima

I'm the second owner & it's run fine since November 2011. Yesterday it wouldn't start due to the faulty/broken ignition switch. Towed it to dealer & it's going to be $910 to replace the faulty electronic ignition. VIN contains a's (not B's), indicating it was from first half of 2010. It probably has the same defect as the 2009 Maximas that were recalled. Dealer 'correctly' states the 2010 doesn't have a recall, but it should. Love Nissan cars, but after this, I'll never take it back to the dealer for service. Nissan needs to issue a recall on these cars to reciprocate customer loyalty.

- Burbank, CA, USA

Nov 262016

Maxima

Got in car leaving from gym the steering wheel was locked could not move it. Called dealer who told me to hold key fob over car ignition did not resolve situation. I had to have it towed. I got on line to research about this locking mechanism and have discovered that this is a known issue with millions of consumer complaints to this very issue this is a known issue with millions of complaints being filed against Nissan for this situation. Apparently there should have been a recall on this internal steering wheel lock mechanism however Nissan has passed the cost of the faulty component onto the unexpecting consumer. This cost me $1000. Shame on you Nissan. Thank god I was not in motion.

- New Castle, DE, USA

Nov 092016

Maxima

Car started fine all morning, I went inside tof pay a bill not even 10 minutes later. I went to my car to crank up and it was completely dead, brakes were hard, and the key display flashing. I called a mechanic to try everything no budge, soon I called a tow truck to have it towed to the Nissan dealership. Nissan called the next day stating that the steering wheel mechanism had failed and warranty was covering it. I ended up dishing out over $1300 to get it fix.

- Adam's Run, SC, USA

Nov 172016

Maxima

Vehicle started fine, made a stop at the store before heading to work in the am, came out of store only to find the vehicle would not start. Called service department used for regular maintenance and was told this is a common problem with vehicle. Escl or elect. Steering control lock module bad and will have to be replaced. Problem known/common by Nissan neither extended warranty nor Nissan want to pay to repair. With this being known and common there should be a recall on this part.

- Del City, OK, USA

Nov 052016

Maxima

Car will not start due to steering wheel lock malfunction. Called my local Nissan dealership who advised me of the problem which they are aware of. However, the extended warranty to cover this issue expired March of 2015. So that leaves the customer with an out of pocket expense of 900-1100 dollars. Nissan has not issued any recall. I'm stuck paying for a car that doesn't start and forced to shell out over a $1000 for a problem that is the manfacturer's fault. This is highway robbery. A complete ripoff to Nissan's customers. This company is a joke. I will never ever purchase another Nissan again. And I strongly recommend that one else does.

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Oct 102016

Maxima

The steering wheel lock is a defective product that Nissan has known about in their 2009 models. The repair is going to cost me, and anyone that comes this issues, and that out of warranty $1100. This repair isn't guaranteed either. Called Consumer Affairs only to be told no. This part you need is only available at a Nissan dealership, and the part itself cost $900. For Nissan to not stand by their cars is a shame.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Aug 312016

Maxima

Steering lock control unit left me stranded. Parked my car the night prior as usual and was unable to restart my car the next morning leaving me without a way to get my kids to school. After reading up on this issue I have found complaint after complaint. Not a happy customer.

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Aug 192016

Maxima

The steering column lock module broke. The car would not start or drive. I had driven it to a home. Stopped the vehicle, turned it off. When I got back in, it did not work at all. The car would not recognize my intelligent key. Pushing the start button did nothing. It did not even light up.

- Oak Park, IL, USA

Aug 072016

Maxima

I bought this vehicle new and it now has 49,000 miles on it. In the last two weeks, the steering wheel has locked 3X and I have been unable to start my car. I have been able to get it started by continuously stepping on the brake and shimmy the wheel. I'm a 65 year old female and it takes minimally 5 minutes to complete this task in a vehicle overheated by the soaring summer temps. This us unhealthy and a safety issue and it should be addressed.

- Paramus, NJ, USA

Dec 172015

Maxima

From the time I purchased the vehicle in 12/2015, I've had nothing but major problems with my steering. It yanks me all over the road and I have to fight the steering to keep from hitting other cars next to me. It's a nightmare every time I have to drive it and it's had 3 blowouts on the right front tire. My mechanic can;T seem to find the problem with it. He suggested putting 4 brand new tires on the car to see it it helps. It did not help one bit, when the roads are wet it's like driving on glass, I'm so afraid this car is going to kill me. Also, I can't keep buying a new tire for the front right every couple of months. Something is definitely wrong with this car, is there anybody out there that can help me before this car kills me and possibly someone else.

- Richmond, TX, USA

Jun 152016

Maxima

I got my key light on and my lock steering is bad my car won't start.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 132016

Maxima

My power steering suddenly failed at 80 mph on the highway. I did not recieve any warning of an issue. It just stopped working.I almost hit an eighteen wheeler!!

- Montgomery, AL, USA

May 252016

Maxima

The electronic steering column malfunctioned causing my car to not start. With the push button ignition as long as I have the key and step on the brake the car should start. The electronic steering column failed so even with the key it would not start. To make a long story short the car was unable to recognize my key which it should do automatically when I get close enough to the car. Since the car was unable to do this it pretty much went into lock down mode as if someone was trying to steal the car. My car should never treat me as someone trying to steal it especially if I have the key. As a result I had to spend over $1,300 to fix it and the worst part is that no one can tell me exactly what caused it so even though I spent all that money to fix it, it could happen again for no reason and no on can tell me why. And it not like there is any warning that it is going to happen. I drove the car earlier in the day with no problem. Then my fiance tried to start the car while it was parked in her driveway and the car simply would not start. Thank goodness she was at home where it was easily able to be towed, but if she was hours away from home in the middle of no where and this happened it would've been a much worse situation. I would just like to see that what happened to me doesn't happen to anyone else.

- Randolph, MA, USA

Feb 082016

Maxima

In September 2015 I purchased a one owner certified pre-owned 2010 Maxima with all service records up to date with extended warranty; thinking I was as safe as I could be. Just 5 short months later on February 8, 2016 after work, at dusk my 2010 Maxima with only 82,700 miles failed to start. The brake pedal was extremely hard and nothing happened when I pushed the start button. This poses an extreme safety hazard, as I work in the field in crime stricken areas; hence buying a cpo vehicle and purchasing an extended warranty. There was no warning whatsoever that this was about to happen. I had to wait about 45 minutes, in the dark on the West side of san antonio, Texas for a tow truck to have my car towed to the nearest Nissan dealership. Being that it was after 6pm, the dealer would not be able to diagnose until the following morning. Dealership called the next day to inform me that the problem was the steering lock assembly, which is not covered by the extended warranty and will cost me $925+tax!!! the car was operating just fine; no reason to think I was at risk of being stranded. According to online research, hundreds of people have experienced this issue and been stranded with their children and/or in horrible whether conditions, yet no recall. 2009 Nissan models were recalled for the same faulty part. Since the same part continued to be used on 2010 models, why was this recall not extended for 2010 models? Nissan should be held accountable for this expensive faulty part before something horrible happens to someone.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 212016

Maxima

The contact owns a 2010 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start and the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering wheel module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 114,000.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Jan 112016

Maxima

I double parked my 2010 Maxima to run into a store to buy a newspaper. When I returned a minute later to the car, it would not start - the steering wheel was locked. I was stranded on a very busy avenue with a lot of traffic. After reading all the complaints about the same problem on the 2010 Maxima, I am shocked that Nissan has not recalled this car to repair the issue. I had to wait 4 hours in the freezing cold before a tow truck arrived. The driver took me to the bay ridge Nissan dealership where it was repaired at a cost of $1,056. I also missed a day's work due to this problem. This is definitely a vehicle that should be recalled for this dangerous situation.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jan 032016

Maxima

The contact owns a 2010 Nissan Maxima. While parked, the vehicle would not start after repeated attempts. The contact stated that there was a key with a lock warning symbol illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering lock module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Hyattsville, MD, USA