Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Nissan Maxima is a very good reliable vehicle. Beware of Maximas from 2009, and 2004-2006 though.

The 2009 Maxima has an expensive problem where the steering lock prevents the car from starting, & costs upwards of $1,000 to fix.

Nissan Maximas from 2004-2006 have a widespread transmission defect, but judging from our complaint data, Nissan fixed the transmission problem starting with the 2007 model.

For the 2011 Maxima, so far so good!

2011 Nissan Maxima miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Nissan Maxima:

2011 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments

Jan 092016

While driving home from work tonight on a remote stretch of highway my panoramic sunroof suddenly exploded out of nowhere. I was driving about 50 mph and the outside temperature was about 45-50 degrees so I also had the heater on inside. I had the sunshade open but the tilting portion of the roof closed. Nothing out of the ordinary and there was no traffic near me that could have caused any debris to hit the roof. All of a sudden the loudest bang, initially scaring me so bad I almost lost control of the vehicle and then glass was flying around everywhere. It was so loud I thought at first I had a blowout for split second until then the glass hit me and the wind starting coming in from the gaping hole in the roof. It literally sounded like a gunshot or cannon went off in my car. Luckily none of the glass injured me and even more luckily my daughter was not with me as she would have been hit by the flying glass. I had to close the sunshade and drive home the remaining distance at a much slower speed but luckily did so without incident. I took several pictures once safely home, and as you can see it appears as if the glass bubbled up, almost like from inside air pressure causing the explosion. My first thoughts are that maybe the cold air outside and warm air inside? it is the front panel that opens that has the damage and the rear panel is fully intact. This was an intense experience that I hope to never have happen to anyone else.

- Sahuarita, AZ, USA

Nov 232015

I have a 2011 Nissan Maxima. The sunroof busted while I was driving down the high way. I had to go to the eye doctor for glass particles being in my eye, and I took the car to the dealership and they could not help me according to the service rep. I bought this car at moore Nissan in birmingham Alabama, and they did not have a sense of urgency at all. The customer service was awful and they were not concerned about my safety or the safety of my toddler child......updated12/07/15

- Adamsville, AL, USA