CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Nissan Maxima is a very good reliable vehicle, continuing a stretch of good model years from 2010. Beware of Maximas from 2009, and 2004-2006 though.

The 2009 Maxima has an expensive problem where the steering lock prevents the car from starting, & costs upwards of $1,000 to fix.

Nissan Maximas from 2004-2006 have a widespread transmission defect, but judging from our complaint data, Nissan fixed the transmission problem starting with the 2007 model.

For the 2012 Maxima, so far so good!

3.7

2012 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Nissan Maxima:

2012 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments

Mar 232016

Maxima

This is my second Nissan Maxima that has experienced problems with the transmission. Every Maxima I buy every time the car reaches 100,000 and is out of warranty the transmissions goes out. I contacted Nissan to have someone look into this as a problem with their vehicles and they informed me that they hadn't received and complaints about transmissions.

- Humble, TX, USA

Apr 222014

Maxima 6-cyl

I purchased my Nissan Maxima band new two years ago. Over the past two years my vehicle received all required maintenance, which was performed at the dealership where I purchased the vehicle. At 67,000 miles the transmission completely failed. I was told by the dealer that 'it just happens sometimes with performance engines'. the transmission is under warranty, but I am now totally disenchanted with the vehicle. I keep vehicles for the lifetime of a car. I still have a 2000 Honda Accord with over 300,000 miles (original transmission and engine). I no longer feel that the replaced transmission on my Maxima is reliable.

- Accokeek, MD, USA