5.8

2014 Nissan Maxima seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Nissan Maxima:

2014 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments

Aug 292016

Maxima

The passenger side airbag will not activate when I sit in the passenger seat. I am a 5'4" woman that weighs 125lbs. Our 2015 Nissan Altima was recalled for the same issue, only I did not experience the problem in that vehicle or in any other vehicle I ride in as a passenger. Even if my purse, which weighs at least 10lbs, or my dog that weighs 25 lbs sits in my lap, the sensor does not register my weight properly. I feel this issue is due to the sensor not being positioned properly in the passenger seat. I have complained about this issue to Nissan and have 2 case numbers. 22789194 and 23879183. I was instructed to take the vehicle to 2 dealers, which I did. I was informed since there was not an error code on the computer, the airbag was functioning properly. I requested a specialist to come and see my size and further investigate the safety of the Maxima, but my request for further assistance was denied by Nissan and I was advised by them that I would need an attorney for any further complaint. We own multiple other vehicles for our business and I have been a passenger in many rental cars and well as those owned by friends and family. I have not experienced this serious safety issue in any other vehicle and strongly disagree with the service technicians comment that I weigh less than a small child. I have taken pictures on many occasions of the airbag sensor light, including one with my purse on my lap and one with my dog on my lap. This issue happens if the vehicle is moving or stationary. If I lift myself off of the seat and wait for the the airbag to reset, it works for 2 to 3 minutes before it deactivates again. This has been an ongoing problem but I chose a service date for the required field below. I do not feel safe riding as a passenger in my 2014 Maxima as I believe I would be seriously injured in an accident.

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Apr 012016

Maxima

The contact owns a 2014 Nissan Maxima. While operating the vehicle, the front passenger side air bag sensor light illuminated, which indicated that the air bags were deactivated although a passenger occupied the front passenger seat. The contact indicated that the failure was intermittent. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure was unable to be duplicated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 30,000.

- Haledon, NJ, USA

May 012016

Maxima

The contact owns a 2014 Nissan Maxima. While operating the vehicle, the passenger side air bag sensor illuminated, which indicated that the air bag was turned off even though the passenger was occupying the front passenger seat. The contact indicated that the failure was intermittent. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure was unable to be duplicated. The failure was not diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 30,000.

- Haledon, NJ, USA

Jan 012015

Maxima 6-cyl

Airbag warning light comes on in sub-zero weather and stays on. Does not go off until temperature warms up. On 12/31/2014, at -35 degrees this occurred and stayed active my entire drive to work. On 01/01/2015 at -10 degrees the warning light again came on and stayed on. The warning light clears as soon as the outside temperature increases. Dealer wants to see car at their facility. By the time I would get to their facility, the outside temperature will have risen and the light will be off. I am concerned I have no airbag protection in sub-zero conditions.

- Craig, CO, USA

Oct 252014

Maxima 6-cyl

Passenger airbag light comes showing that nobody is sitting in the passenger seat when in fact there is somebody sitting there. To me this means that if a crash occurred with someone in the passenger seat and the indicator shows nobody there, the airbag may not deploy.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Jul 102014

Maxima 6-cyl

Passenger side air bag stays lit indicating that air bag is off and will not deploy in the event of a crash. This occurs when there is an adult passenger in the seat. Because the light is intermittent when taking it to the dealer if the light is off I am told there is no problem. This is a safety issues that needs to be addressed. I do not feel safe driving with a passenger.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Feb 012014

Maxima 6-cyl

Passenger airbag light is on indicating airbag is off when my wife sits in the passenger seat. She is 5'3" and weights approximately 102lbs. Took it to dealer, autonation lewisville, tx. After consulting with Nissan they said it was functioning normally. It is not functioning normally and is a serious safety matter. Noticed numerous complaints online about same subject. It is time for Nissan to admit they have a problem and get it fixed.

- Frisco, TX, USA