2. replace timing chain (1 reports)
2003 Nissan Micra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Nissan Micra:

2003 Nissan Micra Owner Comments

Mar 282013

Micra SX 1,4

After replacing crankshart sensors and getting stuck at various times when the car refused to start it was found that the timing chain had stretched. A COMMON EXPENSIVE FAULT. The car had only done 36000miles, Only out of the garage a matter of months and now another major repair required, This time it needs a new ignition switch unit which can be fitted by the local Nissan dealer for the small sum of £462 apparentlly the part costs over £250 and is only stocked by Nissan, The cost of these 2 repairs is worth as much as the value of the car, Nice car to drive but if you are thinking about getting one DON'T!!!!!! I wish that I had never set eyes on it.

- , Airdrie, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Nov 042009

Micra L 1.1L

My car has started only on a whim for the last 10 months. This has been a really dire situation as it is not reliable and can fail at the drop of a hat. At the moment I maybe get around 3 days of car use per week. The other days, I use the train or borrow my partners vehicle. Basically the engine light has been on for months and investigation has said initially that it maybe a faulty sensor. So this was changed. It still stayed on, so cam shaft sendor was changed. Eventually it was recognised that it was timing chain in engine which is a horrendous job and exeptionally expensive £1200.00. I cannot afford to change my car or have it repaired so have been left with a "pig in a poke", at 50,000 miles. After reading many forums I have discovered that this a problem shared by many Nissan mIcra owners, some who have only 20,000 on the clock.

I am really serious about this situation as I cannot afford to replace my car. Thus I have contacted Watchdog to see if they will take up my case.

- , Glasgow, USA, UK