2003 Nissan Murano accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Nissan Murano:

2003 Nissan Murano Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Oct 012010

Murano 6-cyl

The 8-way power seat first stopped moving the inner left side (closest to the seat back) of the driver's seat (effectively making the power seat non-functional); the seat later started moving, rocking, slightly forward, noticeably (and unfortunately) during braking.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Jan 042011

2003 Murano drivers seat bracket failure. This is a serious concern that my safety in the vehicle is compromised. Because if there is airbag deployment and my seat sits crooked I don't feel I will be properly protected in the event of an accident.

- Pierce, NE, USA

Jan 042011

Drivers side seat bracket failure in Nissan Murano 2003 model.

- Pierce, NE, USA

Jun 162005

Murano 6-cyl

My 2003 Murano drivers seat was repaired in 2005 for the rocking symptom I paid $660. Four years later, the bracket on the seat frame broke again, and this time the dealer charged $1100 to repair it. When I asked them whether it was the same parts that failed, they said no. Turns out that was not true. In 2005, the dealership followed the tsb for the seat repair which involved replacing two parts - 87458-ar06A (lifter link assembly) and 87454-ca61A (lift motor). Now, those two parts have been combined into one part number - 87450-ca68A. Actually, the most recent part is 87450-ca68B (I guess B suggests a revision). In either case, the dealer argued that since its a different part number, its a different part. Its actually the same thing. I filed a complaint with nna Consumer Affairs and they denied any warranty assistance even though the issue originally manifested during the warranty period. What is quite clear is that the drivers seat issue is a very common one. A search of NHTSA reveals hundreds of cases where the seat has failed on 2003-2006 Muranos. also has a long running thread on the failure.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Nov 272010

Traveling around curve in road. Drivers side seat frame broke. Almost caused me to lose control of my car. In researching, I found this is a known problem and the design of the replacement part has since changed.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Nov 202010

2003 Nissan Murano - drivers seat frame broke while driving, turn a corner - almost lost control of vehicle.

- Elgin, IL, USA

Nov 102010

Nissan 2003 Murano-driver seat is rocking side to side when driving. Seat is making loud creaking sound when driving. Especially noisy when making turns or coming to a stop.

- Upland, CA, USA

May 192004

The contact owns a 2003 Nissan Murano. The contact stated that the front driver seat tilted towards the left whenever the seat was occupied. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where they detected that the metal support bar underneath the seat broke in half. The technician informed him that the support bar could not be welded together; and the seat frame needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 75,000.

- Bayside , NY, USA

Sep 282010

Murano 6-cyl

2003 Nissan Murano. Driver's seat frame broke, causing seat to pitch down and to the left. Vehicle has approx. 69,000 miles. All driver's under 200 lbs.

- Oak Ridge, TN, USA

Apr 052010

I was driving my 2003 Nissan Murano on the highway in normal traffic and I heard a pop and my driver seat dropped slightly to the right. Once I stopped the vehicle I looked under the seat to investigate, I didn't see anything loose or broken off. I then tried to move the seat and the seat easily moves off of the floor and up to the left side of the vehicle. I immediately felt that this was a safety issue in driving the car. I was thankful that the seat did not move dramatically while I was driving as I am sure this would have caused an accident. The failure occurred the one time but the seat now continually moves if making a fast stop. We have taken the vehicle to the dealership for repair and at this point we have been told the cost will not be covered by warranty or recall and will be at least $1000. The dealer explained the problem as a cracked seat frame. If the seat frame is cracking during normal use with an average size person (125 lbs) I can't imagine how the seat would handle a full on accident, especially if the frame is already cracked. Not to mention the seat frame cracking could cause the accident.

- Portage , MI, USA

May 272010

Drivers seat on 2003 Murano moves forward when stopping. I have complained about it and Nissan has said there is a small crack in the metal track which would cost $2,000 to repair. However, a short time later I noticed a plastic rail protruding at the back of the seat bottom when the seat was moved forward. Nissan re-installed the piece and, for the most part, the slipping has stopped. I thought it was important to let owners having similar problems know that the movement they are experiencing could be caused by this loose plastic rail, and not a crack in the metal track.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 132010

The driver's seat on my 2003 Murano continues to move forward slightly at every stop. The condition has been getting worse by the month. I have had the seat looked at by the dealer and was told the "movement" was within acceptable standards. What is an acceptable standard for seat movement?

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 292010

The contact owns a 2003 Nissan Murano. He stated that while driving 55 mph, the drivers seat collapsed and fell to the left side of the vehicle. The dealer stated that the vehicle could be repaired at the owners expense. The manufacturer was not contacted and the vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The current and failure mileages were 75,000.

- Albany, NY, USA

Apr 132010

My drivers side seat suddenly made a metallic popping noise and my seat tilted backwards while I was driving. Upon investigating the problem, thinking perhaps a bolt had loosened, discovered that the support bars for the seat had completely broken away from the seat. I am dismayed by the number of complaints I found on the internet with the exact same problem. My dealer said he has to fix one every couple of months. I am now propping my seat up with three reams of paper. This is a serious safety issue!

- Roseville, CA, USA

Feb 222010

Driver's side car seat bracket broke on Nissan Murano. Thank goodness we were not driving, stopping suddenly or having impact with another vehicle or object. This is a true safety issue. Since vehicle is out of warranty, Nissan responded that we are responsible for the $1150 repair. A repair for something that truly must be due to a lack of quality/defective part.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Feb 232010

2003 Nissan Murano. Driver's seat squeaked from time to time since 2005. It has been seen at a dealership on several occasions, but always referred as normal wear and tear. Some added lubrication to stop it from making noise and it stopped for a time. In August of 2009 I moved to Virginia from Florida. The roads in va have far more curves and hills than those in fl. Today the seat back fell backwards as I was driving. I pulled over and noticed that the lower support bracket, just above the seat track, for the seat had split in half. I called my local dealer and was told I had to make an appointment to look it over. Online I was quickly able to find many websites speaking of similar incidents and some had the exact outcome as that of my seat. I also noted NHTSA action number PE08065. I was extremely disappointed in my car, which upto this point I had full confidence in. I don't think I will be recommending this car or any other Nissan for that matter.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Oct 202009

I was driving my 2003 Nissan Murano, when all at once my driver's seat bracket broke from underneath. Now I have a rocking chair drivers seat - no control. I contacted my dealership and Nissan ( I had only made one payment on the car) $1000 -2,000.00 replacement seat they will not repair due to safety issues. Ok now the problem seem to be in the manufacturing of the seat. Will you help me?

- Georgetown, KY, USA

Oct 042009

2003 Nissan Murano sl AWD driver power seat problem. It only moves one side. Right side of the seat moves while left side remains still. Failure in moving fwd and back on left side track or rail.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Mar 152009

2003 Nissan Murano front driver seat broke while driving. Now rocks back and forth.

- Oxford, CT, USA

Feb 052009

Seat rocks wont move up and down.

- Odenville, AL, USA