2003 Nissan Murano drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Nissan Murano:

2003 Nissan Murano Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Apr 212013

Murano 6-cyl

I was driving down a hill road, I decided to turn back, I performed a legal U turn and when I tried to reverse the accelerator would not perform its duty. I was going downhill and hit the dirt curb and almost went off the cliff if I had not pressed the emergency brakes. This is not the only incident. As I go on the freeway I am not able to accelerate from time to time because the step motor cannot perform its duty in making sure gears switch at a proper time. I went to a transmission expert and was told it was the step motor which affects the transmission. This part is in charge in making sure gears switch properly. I went online and I have seen that many people have issues with this same problem. I called a Nissan dealership and was told that since I had passed the 120K mileage mark they could no longer service my transmission within the warranty limits. This means I will have to pay out of pocket $2,140 for a new transmission not including labor.

- Cudahy, CA, USA

Oct 282011

Murano 6-cyl

Vehicle hesitates and does a bunny hop randomly during stop and go traffic. Vehicle won't move at all you can have it floored, than all of a sudden it takes off. Took it to Nissan, they keep telling me its the transmission, which makes no sense since it only does it once in awhile. I finally decided to file a complaint because I was driving home the other day slowed down to get on interstate and car wouldn't go... almost got side swiped by a tractor trailer and rear ended by the guy behind me who assumed I was going. I have done some research, it does not seem like anyone really knows the cause and I am very perplexed as to the number of people having this issue yet no recall... I guess someone will have to die for this issue to be taken seriously, usually how things get done in the us.

- York, PA, USA

Apr 102012

Murano 6-cyl

From a stopped position when accelerating vehicle doesn't move for a few seconds then engages and jolts forward. Been happening for about a year now. All fluids are regularly replaced and maintained on schedule. No idea what to do, it is a known problem so trade in value is very low. Not worth putting in a lot of money to repair as the vehicle is 10 yrs old now and 124500 miles. Toyota stepped up with their vehicles problems with trade in incentives or recalls why won't Nissan?

- Fitchburg, MA, USA

Jun 012011

Murano

The contact owns a 2003 Nissan Murano. The contact stated that the vehicle would lose acceleration power while sitting in traffic. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and a diagnostic was performed, which located the failure in the transmission. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 87,000 and the current was 111,400.

- Pueblo West , CO, USA

Mar 222013

Murano 6-cyl

I am pulling into the freeway in daly city and the vehicle will not engage transmission. I cruised going 10mph for a mile before I had to pull over on the freeway. I turned the vehicle off and sat there thinking on how to get home. After 10-15 minutes, I decided to drive the vehicle off the freeway. I parked the vehicle in the street and noticed the vehicle had power. I drove it to my technician that evening. Owner of the shop said it was very common and lucky that I did not have my family in the vehicle. The vehicle never revved even though I was stepping on the gas pedal. I have a 13 month old daughter and would not like to think what could of happened if I was stuck in an intersection on a busy street. These cars should be recalled since there are plenty of these cases online. I would like my money back on the transfer case I had to replace and now the new transmission I will have to buy.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Feb 142013

Murano 6-cyl

The Nissan dealer told us in January that there was a fluid pressure drop and wanted to replace seals for around $1,700. In February the dealer told us the transmission valve body needed to be replaced for $1,700 plus resetting the tcm for another $300. I believe Nissan knows full well there is a problem with this design and they need to issue a recall to fix these problems.

- Flower Mound, TX, USA

Aug 112004

Murano 6-cyl

Initially, this car would stop in the middle of intersection and on the highway due to a faulty alternator. I almost got in an accident. The car would loss power and then take off and finally the car would stop on a busy highway. I almost got killed 3 times due the car stalling out on me. The transmission died on me 3 times. The first two times, I had only 20-30,000 miles. ( I purchased the car brand new). The very last time they replaced the transmission (costing me $6, 000) I had about 160,000 miles. Even after having Nissan replace the transmission 3 times, the car still stalls or shuts off while in motion. About a year ago, I had new cat converters installed, a new manifold and exhaust installed. It ran for about 6 months and now it is still stalling out and stopping (while in motion) me. This is very dangerous. Now Nissan thinks the crank shaft positioning is the cause of the problem but refuse to do it for free because the VIN# to my car is not listed with the rest of the 2003 Murano's (recall list). This I think is ridiculous. It seems to me that Nissan has alot problems with their older Murano's with regards to stalling, stopping suddenly while in motion. They seem to care less if the owners life is at risk. I have been dealing with these issues, since I first purchased the car. It is a piece of junk and it is an extreme hazard to drive on the highway.

- Cromwell, CT, USA

Oct 122012

Murano

While driving the transmission in the car spontaneously downshifted. As a result of the transmission failure, the engine has had a rod failure. Nissan will not fix the car.

- Fidhers, IN, USA

Oct 152012

Murano 6-cyl

Driving and engine shutoff!!!!!!! could not brake or accelerate !!!! was terrified as I was in middle of intersection making a left with two children in the back! tuned key to off and restarted. Nissan says there is a recall for this issue but my VIN does not fall under it please help.

- Sylmar, CA, USA

Sep 152012

Murano 6-cyl

Pulled off interstate because transmission was not acting correctly. When I pulled of the interstate at the stop sign, I tried to apply the accelerator and car would not move. I was almost hit in the rear. Finally able to get car to parking lot. Had car towed to Nissan dealer for repair. Waiting on call for cost of repairs.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Apr 202011

Murano 6-cyl

Was driving on a highway and heard thumping sounds from the engine. Slowed down towards the side and the noise started increasing. It sounded like someone hitting the engine with a sledge hammer. I parked the car on the side of the highway and looked under the hood and under the car. I saw something leaking. I got my car towed to the nearest dealer and they told me that it was my transfer case. Cost to fix was close to $5,000. I contacted Nissan for help and they informed me that they couldn't do anything. I asked if this problem was common and they replied no. I had the car fixed at my own expense and 14 months later the problem occurred again. Warranty was for 12 months or 12,000 miles which ever came first. I was over by 2 months but mileage was under. They quoted me additional $3,000 to fix. I can not believe that this car has not been recalled for this problem. The car is still at the mechanics because I am still in shock of being forced to pay $8,000 for the same problem and within a little over a year.

- Fort Lee, NJ, USA

Jul 012012

Murano

The contact owns a 2003 Nissan Murano. The contact stated that the vehicle hesitated to accelerate from stops. The vehicle rapidly jerked forward when it finally began to accelerate. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 135,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 212012

Murano 6-cyl

Vechicle abrubtly loss power in drive train while accelerating through busy cross section. Vechicle progressed no more than 10 miles while pulling off the road. Once the engine was turned off, vechicle would ignition did not have power, albeit all other power (windows, lights, etc..) was ok. Dealer says ABS control unit and transmission failure.

- Lisle , IL, USA

Murano

Cvt transmission fails to accelerate after driving at low speeds...ie like thru a parking area or while in heavy stop and go traffic. Than while pulling out in traffic will not not respond to the gas pedal while pressing down than it will suddenly surge and rapidly accelerate. I can not safely send my wife or daughter out in this car. Had it back to the dealer many times the transfer case for the AWD was replaced some time back when it cracked. But the cvt acted up occasionally long before that.!! this is a serious safety issue and should be a recall to repair these transmissions.

May 232012

Murano 6-cyl

I have a 2003 Nissan Murano SE. I was driving out of my house and while still in my neighborhood, the car came to a screeching halt (loud noise). I waited a couple of minutes and tried pressing the accelerator again and the car refused to move but made another very loud sound. I have 2 small children that were fortunately not in the vehicle with me. Also fortunate was that I had not turned into a high speed main road that was just coming up. I called aaa and had the car towed to the Nissan dealer, who diagnosed it as a transfer case problem and quoted $3300 for replacement of the part. Upon researching this issue, my husband and I discovered that this is a standard problem in the earlier Nissan Murano models - hundreds and hundreds of people have complained about this online and it happens at roughly the same mileage in the life of the vehicle. It is clearly a manufacturing defect and should have been a recall on Nissan's part as it is a major safety issue. We contacted Nissan customer service and after waiting 10 days, we were basically told they were not going to do anything about it given how old the vehicle was and that they don't acknowledge that this is a manufacturing defect, even after I explained the results of my research. I told them that even if they choose not to believe that others have had the same problem, a transfer case should not give way between 80-90,000 miles - it is simply not acceptable. I am extremely irritated at how Nissan handled this problem and am concerned about the safety of others who may end up in the same situation but not be fortunate enough to escape bodily harm. This should be a recall.

- Ithaca, NY, USA

Nov 212011

Murano

My Nissan Murano was a brand new 2003 it is now 8 years old with 46015 miles. The Nissan service department in nh cared for my vehicle regularly; my first problem occurred when the engine started sending out black smoke, I fought for Nissan to take responsibility for what was happening to my vehicle, they did; it took six to eight weeks to get the oil smell flushed out of the air conditioner. I understand wear and tear but, major engine faults happening so soon; Nissan claims being the top vehicle manufactures. One of the many reasons I bought their brand. I did everything they said to keep my vehicle functioning; then it happened again; the rear powertrain reached its end, and oil leaking in the engine, the piston ball bearings is broken; and now the oil is leaking out. The average miles driven per year is 12000; my vehicle average 1500-miles yearly. I cannot nor will I battle over the 60 months/100,000 miles warranty contract; I am appealing to Nissan corporation saying, look and see in my case my vehicles" problems are unique; see the oddness of an engine with only 46015 miles having such major problems. See my maintenance records, it was not due to neglect, look at the first time I had a major problem with this engine very early in the first two years of owning it. The engine and components are faulty; I just got a bad make. A feedback card came in my mail it says, ?as a valued Nissan customer, your satisfaction throughout your ownership experience is our company?S highest priority?? so, then why hide behind the expired warranty? I was told, even if the NHTSA force a recall and Nissan found I am the cause, the Nissan board would willfully recall vehicles from 2004 up, to spite me or, single out the specific problems I now have repair them ignoring the vehicle"S young engine is completely faulty.

- Haverhill, MA, USA

Feb 162012

Murano 6-cyl

The vehicles drive train failed and was towed to lia Nissan in enfield ct. Was told that the cvt transmission had failed and was covered under the 10 yr /120,000 mile extended warranty. They also said that the transfer case was damaged but is not covered by the warranty. The transfer case is part of the cvt and should be covered. I had to purchase the part for 2,100 to repair the vehicle. They may charge for the part to offset the cost of the cvt which costs around 5,000. Nissan has a major problem with their drive train and should be covered or recalled.

- West Suffield, CT, USA

Feb 032009

Murano

I have a 2003 Nissan Murano at 65,000 miles the cvt transmission case cracked in half. The car was inoperable and left me stranded. After thousands of dollars in replacing the cvt transmission the transfer case has cracked again at 120,000 miles. I have contacted Nissan usa and they have persuaded me to pay for diagnostic work (although a large visible crack in the transfer case is quite obvious) and then proceeded to deny all reimbursements. This is a serious issue with hundreds on complaints online, an official Nissan tsb, yet no recall from Nissan or NHTSA.

- Woonsocket, RI, USA