2003 Nissan Murano electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Nissan Murano:

2003 Nissan Murano Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Jun 212006

Murano 6-cyl

I was traveling out of town alone with my 3 children and after we had been on the road for about 3 1/2 hours, the front windshield wipers came on by themselves along with the back windshield wipers, the lights were going on and off by themselves, the left blinker came on by itself, and the dash information (dte, fuel economy) was just coming on and off by itself. There was water coming out of the fuse box on the drivers side, and you could hear a sizzling sound. I took it to the nearest Nissan dealer, they said they fix it and I got back on the road and it happened again 2 hours later same stuff. I just turned off the ac and kept driving with everything going crazy, because all the service departments were closed and I could not get anyone to help me. When I arrived at my destination I took it to the nearest Nissan dealership the next day and they said that the ac hose was loose and was allowing water to get into everything. I hope it is fixed, but I am now scared to drive it anywhere and I have to travel 6 hours away from home every now and then because I have a child 6 hours away from home in college and you never know when I will have to go up there unexpectedly. I am thing about trading it off because I do not feel safe in it anymore, but the trade in value is a lot less than the pay off.

- Mcewen, TN, USA

Mar 092006

Murano 6-cyl

Driver and passenger front windows roll down by themselves when car is shut off, unattended, and locked.

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

Mar 132006

Murano 6-cyl

After I lock up my Nissan Murano I will come to it from a movie theater of from my home to drive it and both of the front windows will be completely down and the vehicle will be unsecured. This morning my Murano was full of snow since we had 12 inches last night. I took it to the dealer and they played with the key fobs and nothing would happen and as we were standing their with no one touching the key fobs - the windows went down by themselves again. This feature is only supposed to happen when you hold down the open button on the key fob to let in cool air in the summer before you get into your Murano. Robert dittel.

- Saint Paul, MN, USA

Oct 162005

2003 Murano cut off completely causing the consumer to replace battery and alternator. While the consumer was vacationing the vehicle suddenly shut off. The vehicle was towed to the consumer's hotel where aaa check the battery and alternator. Aaa determined that they both needed to be replaced but was only able to replace the battery. The alternator was replaced at a local repair facility. When the consumer returned home the vehicle was taken to a local Nissan dealer. The technician at the dealer informed the consumer of a recall 05V319000 on the 2003 Murano for the alternator. The consumer request reimbursement from the manufacturer.

- Playa Del Rey, CA, USA

Oct 182004

Murano 4WD Diesel

The consumer states that the 2003 Nissan Murano experienced a loss of power while driving at 20 mph. The vdc off and the slip where the lights T came on in the dashboard. These lights came on the first time that this happened. The next time that the loss of power was experienced the light did not come on. The car has been at the dealership twice for this issue. The dealer has no idea why the car is doing this, specifically states the consumer. The consumer has contacted Nissan directly by mail and received a message from Nissan that they wanted to schedule a final repair attempt at the dealership. The Muranos shifter was also sticking, and you could not get the car to go into park or reverse. The car would not go any higher than neutral. The car has been in the dealership three times for this problem. The owners of the car have filed for the lemon law.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Aug 192005

2003 Nissan Murano developed multiple problems. The drivers side window motor was inoperative. The rear taillight was out, the door ajar light remained lit even when the door was closed, the drivers side mirror was replaced, the windshield was distorted and therefore replaced, the cd player was inoperative

- Ithaca, NY, USA

May 122005

Murano 6-cyl

At about 36,600 miles, the battery and brake light both came on. After tapping the emergency brake lightly several times, both lights went off. However, 100 miles later, both lights came on again. At 36,835 miles, while driving 55 mph at night to dulles airport, the vehicle became sluggish, the accelerator pedal became unresponsive, dash lights dimmed, and the vehicle coasted and stalled, all within about 700 meters, after which it wouldn't start. We got aaa plus towing the 70 miles back home, and drove our '95 maxima back down! purchased this 2003 sl vehicle in altoona pa, courtesy motors. We are taking it to brenner Nissan, located in mechanicsburg, pa. They have a good reputation locally and we'll report on the outcome! -update- 0800: Arrived at brenner Nissan. Jim, ed and troy greet. Troy checks something in the back, ed checks parts availability. Coffee's good. 0830: Enterprise rental vehicle arrives at the dealer! 1548: Jim calls, Murano's ready -- we'd decided to catch up on the 30,000 mi. Major service today, and it turns out Nissan goodwill covered the alternator and rental car 100%. service cost $488.60 incl. Tax.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Feb 182005

Murano 6-cyl

In February 2005 the alternator failed to charge the battery and the car slowed to a complete stop and the battery died in the middle of a busy intersection. I had to tow the car to the nearest dealership and the car was repaired 48 hours later. In March 2005 the gas tank lid wouldn't open and the car was running out of gas. I drove the car to the dealership and it took 48 hours to repair. However, the "repair" was done by prying the lid open and I still have not recieved the new part. In May 2005 the transmission failed in the middle of a busy intersection and I had to tow the car to the dealership. They still have the car and expect to have it for two weeks at least. They cannot guarentee that they will pay for the rental car costs which will amount to at least $350 at $25 a day. This car only has 35,000 miles on it.

- Marina Del Rey, CA, USA

Apr 302005

Murano 6-cyl

While driving down one of the busiest 8 lane highways in tampa my car decided that it didn't want to stay cranked and died right smack in the middle of the intersection. Luckily, my room mate was behind me and jumped out to help me push it back into the parking lot. We assumed it was out of gas, which it wasn't. afterwards, we realized that we tried to jump the car off because now it wasn't turning over. It cranked, and I made it to the intersection. Again, it died on me once more. So we left the car overnight in barnes and noble parking lot. I came back Sunday afternoon May 1, 2005 and replaced the battery. It cranked right up. I drove 2 miles home. Then 6 miles to North tampa, only to have my car die pulling into the parking lot of a friend's apartment complex. I let it sit for a few hours, cranked it up and it cranked. Then managed to make it to the on ramp of I75 South, only to have it die again. It wa S now sitting at a friends house. I managed to drive it 1 mile an hour in idle into someone's apartment complex, where it now sits waiting for someone to tow it to the Nissan dealership.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Mar 152004

Murano 6-cyl

Alternator failed in 2003 Nissan Murano leading to unexpected loss of all electrical power. This resulted in loss of power accessories (breaks, steering, lights etc). The engine was non-responsive to throttle input. Traffic was light and was able to pull to side of the road safely.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Mar 092005

Murano 6-cyl

I was driving my car and the battery and brake service lights came on. I drove it to the local Nissan dealership and they advised the alternator needed to be replaced. I new part is being ordered and the part will be replaced.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Oct 152004

Murano 6-cyl

Alternator failed at 32000. Seems this is chronic with Nissan Murano's and I fear that my replacement alternator will be as bad and also fail at 60000 -- falling beyond my warranty and costing much to replace.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Mar 092005

Murano 8-cyl

While driving driver noticed that the vehicle started slowing down. Afterwards the dashboard lights flashed on and off. Also, driver noticed that the steering and the brakes failed to work properly. The vehicle stalled, and the driver was unable to restart vehicle, and it was towed to the dealer. Mechanic determined that the alternator needed to be replaced. Driver informed the mechanic that this was the second replacement of the alternator, but problem has not been resolved.

- Hillside, NJ, USA

Feb 282005

Murano 6-cyl

At 38K my battery light and brake light came on. The next day I was driving it to the dealership when it completely stopped running. Took it to the dealership and they said it was the alternator and battery. Alternator costing me $580+$115 for the battery+$100 for towing.

- Lake Wales, FL, USA

Aug 272004

Murano 6-cyl

8/27/04 going at 65 mph car would not accelerate and will roll to a stop, had to be towed after that. 8/30/04 same problem again. Towed back to dealer. 2/2/05 car would not start- jumper cable start- dealer replaced battery. And 2/11/05 engine shut off when coming out of a busy intersection- had to be towed still in shop.

- Coconut Creek, FL, USA

Feb 092005

Murano 4WD 6-cyl

Premature alternator &/or battery failure.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Feb 042005

Murano 6-cyl

The brake light and battery light came on my 2003 Murano, about 5,000 miles after the warranty expired. I called the dealership the next morning and was told it was likely the alternator and told the vehicle may not make it in to the dealership for repair (it seems they knew of this problem before even examining it). I had another car follow me in but luckily made it in but the problem was the alternator failed and had to be replaced for $560. I have recently gone online and found this is an all to common problem with the alternator in this vehicle and Nissan needs to address this, I was lucky not to be stranded.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Dec 302004

Murano 6-cyl

Vehicle stalled at 35 mph. Consumer took vehicle to dealer for check up, and results showed that alternator needed to be replaced.

- Pittsboro, NC, USA

Oct 102004

Murano 6-cyl

Alternator failure around 24000.

- Lago Vista, TX, USA

Dec 292004

Murano 6-cyl

(1) two days of driving on and off road in death valley national park, during which this failure would have been beyond catastrophic. (2) the "charge system failure" idiot light illuminated on the way home, just 20-30 miles out of dv on Wednesday morning, and miraculously I was able to drive all the way to the nearest service in mojave ca on the battery alone, the alternator having failed. After verifying the failure with a volt-meter and recharging in mojave, I drove West towards the nearest Nissan dealership, and fell short by just 11 miles when I lost all power on West bound highway 58 on the outskirts of bakersfield ca. Aaa towed my family and I the rest of the way into the dealership. (3) bakersfield Nissan replaced the alternator in about 3 hours and sent us on our way back home to northern California.

- San Jose, CA, USA