1.5

2003 Nissan Murano engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Nissan Murano:

2003 Nissan Murano Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 102012

Murano

Purchased this vehicle in 2012, used- bag an having issues immediately, including, no heat, stalling, windows rolling down on their own in winter- returned it to the dealer and they kept for 1 week, said there was nothing wrong except the fuel pump. We replaced it and trouble continued. Contacted Nissan and they said to take to dealer for diagnostic, a certified Nissan mechanic now looking it over and claims there is nothing wrong, we have thrown so much money into trying to get it to work. Overheats and can not climb even the smallest of incline without overheating, the Nissan company wants us yo pay for all the testing they require, we have been paying for a vehicle that is not drivable or reliable in any way- after 4 years there is still no answers as to why it will not run properly, so disappointing yo purchase a vehicle that looks good and is comfortable, and has become a lawn ornament that still has a large balance to pay- does Nissan produce things they walk away from laughing at the consumers for purchasing a non reputable vehicle. So aggravating to be told it is our problem, feel as though I could have gone to the junkyard and purchased a wrecked vehicle and had better results, we just want to be able to depend on a vehicle we purchased without the run around. Sounds like they made a problem car from the other comments on how others have experienced the same issues, without any answers. The unexpected stalling and overheating and no production of heat in the vehicle has been issue since purchasing in 2012 to now 2016, just would like some sort of answers.

- Buhl, ID, USA

Jul 212009

Murano

The contact owns a 2003 Nissan Murano. While driving in stop-and-go traffic, the vehicle did not pick up speed after a stop. Approximately ten seconds later, the vehicle accelerated without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The failure recurred frequently. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and the contact was advised to take the vehicle to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 09V169000 (engine and engine cooling). The failure mileage was approximately 90,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 112016

Murano

The contact owns a 2003 Nissan Murano. While driving 15 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle failed to restart. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V169000 (engine and engine cooling). The failure mileage was 87,589.

- Chattanorga, TN, USA

May 012016

Murano

The contact owns a 2003 Nissan Murano. While at a stop light, the accelerator pedal was depressed, but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The failure recurred when the vehicle was on an incline. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that there was a misfire, but the cause of the failure could not be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V169000 (engine and engine cooling). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 210,000.

- Athens, GA, USA

Jun 282013

Murano

The car stops in traffic with no warning. It stalls in traffic there is a recall for this but my VIN is not included this is so dangerous and Nissan doesn't care. They have a recall for my year and model for the same thing my car is doing but because my VIN # is not on there they won't fix it so I guess someone has to die before something is done. So many people have the same situation as I do. It is disgusting that you pay all this money for a reliable car and they N know there is an extremely dangerous situation and they don't care. The electrical system is bad engine light going on all the time alarm going off all the time. Engine burnes oil very quickly. All these things are wrong with this year car it is just a lemon that U have to keep pouring money into ands it dangerous on top of it.

- Richmond, TX, USA

Apr 082016

Murano 6-cyl

On 4/8/15, while about to make a left turn at a traffic light, my car stalled without any warning. Started up after two attempts. Service engine light came on and has remains on currently. Contacted Nissan specialist on a website who advised it could be crank position and/or camshaft sensor(s). I took it to Firestone to have it scanned. Positive for codes P0725(engine speed signal circuit malfunction) and P0340(camshaft position sensor circuit failure). Purchased my vehicle in August 2003. Never notified by Nissan of recall for sensors(NHTSA #03V4550000). Called local dealership on 4/9/16 who advised me that my VIN number is not on the list for my vehicle to be repaired, despite having the same complication identified by Nissan and NHTSA which necessitated the recall. In addition, letter written by thetechnical compliance department of Nissan to the NHTSA, dated 12/4/03, clearly states that my car is included in the list of recalled vehicles. No updated letter or other public information found stating that certain VIN numbers are required to have car repaired. This is a gross safety issue and I am not clear as to why they are refusing to service my vehicle as per the recall. Please address. Thank you.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

May 252015

Murano

Engine stopped without warning while driving normally. Multiple incidents while driving straight and when turning at speeds ranging from 5 mph to about 30 mph. Engine restarts after stopping, placing gear selector in park, and turning key to start position.

- Hattiesburg, MS, USA

May 312015

Murano

The contact owns a 2003 Nissan Murano. While driving at 35 mph, the vehicle felt as if it were going to stall and the slip, service engine, and dcv off warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the camshaft sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,008.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Mar 112015

Murano 6-cyl

Driving car and it cuts out while in motion. Recalls: www-ODI.NHTSA.dot.gov/owners/searchresultsbyurlcode.action?referencesearch.requestid=45839&referencesearch.urlcode=vvanyoql53pimw1 recall subject : intake air ducts/resonator report receipt date: May 19, 2009 NHTSA campaign number: 09V169000 component(s): Engine and engine cooling recall subject : wire breaking inside alternator, 1 investigation(s) report receipt date: Nov 17, 2003 NHTSA campaign number: 03V455000 component(s): Engine and engine cooling.

- Reisterstown, MD, USA

Jan 162015

Murano 6-cyl

The car stalls after approximately 30 minutes of running/driving. It happened twice in one day. That morning I started the car, it warmed up for 5 minutes, drove 15 miles to work, it stalled as I pulled in to the parking lot. It restarted but was slow to do so. The car sat for 5.5 hours while at work. I started the car without warming up, drove 20 miles, it stalled a block before my home. It restarted same as earlier that day. I let the car sit for a week, had the crank shaft sensor replaced yesterday. Today, started the car, let it sit in the driveway. After 30 minutes it stopped running. It will restart but takes a few seconds.

- Wilton, IA, USA

Nov 252014

Murano 6-cyl

Coming off exit ramp, stopped and turned left, was going around 25 mph when the car surged forward, accelerated, RPM shot up. I had to slam on the brakes and put the car into neutral. The car then slowed and began driving normally. A week later, my wife and I were on the interstate going around 60 mph when the car slowed down as though it was put into a low gear. We could only get it to go no more that 35 mph. We pulled off on the shoulder and parked. The car would not start again. Had to tow it. About a month later, I was on the interstate going around 65 when the same thing happened as before, it went into a lower gear, lowering my speed to around 30 mph which caused me to almost get hit from behind. Had it been a large truck it most likely would have hit me. I put it in neutral and pulled off to the shoulder. When I pulled out again, it drove at a normal rate of speed. I've taken it to the Nissan dealership and they claimed they couldn't find anything wrong. The internet is full of complaints from Murano owners with the same problems and stating that local Nissan dealerships cannot find the problem and if they do anything, they change out the transmission at a cost to the owner. I just purchased my Murano a few months ago in September of 2014 from a small lot. This is very frustrating for me and my family. Twice we could have very easily been hit from behind. Since this is a problem that's been going on since the first 2003 Muranos, I feel Nissan should order a recall and fix this safety issue before someone is killed.

- Gahanna, OH, USA

Dec 292014

Murano 6-cyl

As I was coming out of a tunnel driving normally at 55 mph, my Murano jolted and surged it's RPM into the red. This was very dangerous as I was driving with my 3 year old daughter. After going online and seeing that many others have had the same problem but Nissan has not conducted a recall on the cvt transmission. I called Nissan Canada today and got no where. They extended the warranty to 10 years or 200 km. Which my car now at 158K and 2014 do not apply. This is completely ridiculous as Nissan is aware of this faulty problem and is just waiting for someone to get killed. She said it wasn't Nissan who makes the rules on recalls but the NHTSA. Which to me is just a cop-out! what company produces a faulty product and refuses to take responsibility for it!

- Burnaby, WA, USA

Jun 102014

Murano 6-cyl

I purchased this car from a dealer as a used vehicle in September 2013. After several months I began to notice a very serious transmission problem. All of the sudden when driving the car does not respond to the gas pedal and then all of the sudden the vehicle will lurch forward. This has been scary and unsafe when driving in high traffic areas and I have run the risk of rear ending another vehicle. Other times it has been an extreme safety hazard when entering traffic that is traveling at a higher speed and you have to speed up to merge. If your car does not move when you press on the gas pedal others can crash into you. I have read that other Nissan Muranos that are the same year as mine have experienced the same safety issues and Nissan has received a significant number of complaints with regard to cvt and front transfer case (cracks/fractures) issues but that Nissan has not had a recall to correct this serious problem. I have a three year old grand daughter that I have in my car with me on a daily basis and I am afraid to drive the car! I also purchased this car after another serious accident that totaled my other vehicle and now I have a car that has major safety issues that I am extremely concerned about!!

- Louisville, KY, USA

May 202014

Murano

The contact owns a 2003 Nissan Murano. The contact indicated that the charger warning and brake warning lamps illuminated. The contact mentioned that the battery would be completely drained intermittently. In addition, the contact stated that the engine went into a fail safe mode and prevented the vehicle from accelerating. The vehicle was taken to an independent repair shop. The technician advised the contact to take the vehicle to the dealer for inspection and repair. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 05V319000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 159,000.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Oct 242014

Murano 6-cyl

Transmission, transfer case, it wouldn't shift gears. It didn't go over 40 30 mph I accelerated and won't do more then 30, 40 mph and the vehicle shut down on me.

- Bladensburg , MD, USA

Sep 122011

Murano 6-cyl

I bought this car years 3 years ago in miami and in the beginning I noticed about this problem but I thought that it was a minor problem that I could fix whit the time but I was wrong. If I'm sending this complaint now, is because on my effort to fix the acceleration problem I find this information on the web where it looks that I'm not the only one who has the same problem. The worst part of this began a couple mouths ago when I was getting back from Pennsylvania with my family on the highway driven around 65 miles and unexpectedly this horrible problem came "the deceleration"from 65 it was getting to 30 miles, it scared me a lot but I considered myself that I'm a good driver and my first reaction was to let the motor work by itself I didn't touch the speed and the brake and I pull over the car with the emergency lights I turn it off and I waited 20 minutes and then I turn it on the car again, fortunately it worked after this without any problem I thought. I live in New York city and honestly I don't need the car if I bought is just for pleasure to go out the city to vacation and here I find other problem; when you are driving short distances like here in the city you didn't notice about this but the problem it comes when you are driving long distances over 50 miles and then the motor loose power. This problem is getting worse every time when I do the ignition then 5 minutes latter the motor loose power. I change several auto parts on the engine system and the electrical too, I thought that may be the electrical system could be the problem a sensor a fusible or something but however I still without fix this problem I don't want drive any more this car because I don't know how could be the reaction of the car again on a highway, even I don't want even try to sell it because obviously will be badness to sell at somebody on that condition. Thank you

- Astoria, NY, USA

Oct 032012

Murano

While driving in traffic the engine on my 2003 Nissan Murano stopped, thankfully I was able to maneuver car to safety, another time waiting for train to cross approximately waiting 12 minutes in drive and idling, engine shut itself off, while driving 25 mph and making left hand turn car stalled again almost resulting in another vehicle to hit my vehicle- called Nissan and they said that the recalls have been completed for my vehicle I then asked Nissan is it dangerous for engine to quit while in motion she expressed that she was sorry for that to have happened- what if I were hit whose fault is it to be hit if your car has decided to not run at that moment"this same occurrence has happened over again and since I have had this vehicle it has had no heat- resulting as to being an expensive summer only vehicle really stinks has been nothing but trouble and no one helps- is at dealer right now and is saying cam sensor, how much will it cost me to fix something that hasn't been right since purchase of this Nissan 2003 Murano" I would like them to do what is right and fix the problem without the highway robbery crud!

- Kimberly, ID, USA

Jul 162014

Murano 6-cyl

I just purchased this vehicle on 7/15/14, drove it home and it would not start 7/16/14. I was able to get the vehicle started, but the service engine soon light came on and it shut off 2 more times while parked. I was finally able to get it started and running to go about my errands. I stopped to pick someone up from the hospital and it started up, but immediately shut off again. Eventually, it started bucking and shuddering while I was driving and seemed as if it was going to shut off. I was able to get it to the dealer I purchased it from and he is taking responsibility of getting it serviced. The diagnosis was the rear cam position sensor went bad. I called haldemann Nissan in hamilton, NJ to inquire about recalls, as I knew this was a recall issue and was told that my VIN number had no recalls.

- Bristol, PA, USA

Jun 182014

Murano

The contact owns a 2003 Nissan Murano. The contact stated while driving 40 mph, the vehicle jerked and the engine stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle however, there was a clanking noise coming from the engine compartment. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnose that the transfer case and the crank cam sensor were defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 123,000.

- Cordova, TN, USA

Aug 152013

Murano 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Nissan Murano. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the vehicle stalled with the illumination of the check engine light. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the cam shaft position sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000. Updated 10/23/13 the consumer was informed his VIN was not included in the recall.

- Paramus, NJ, USA