2003 Nissan Murano engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Nissan Murano:

2003 Nissan Murano Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jul 212006

To date, we have had numerous problems with our 2003 Murano. We have replaced the throttle body, motor mount, battery, tcm and transmission. On July 21, 2006 our Murano made a loud noise then quit moving. We had it towed to the dealership where they stated it needed a new tcm. That did not fix the problem so they said we needed a new transmission. We had 64,000 miles. Since then we had the car for one day and took it back for yet a new problem with the rear axle.

- Concord, NC, USA

Apr 112006

Murano 6-cyl

After driving in stop and go traffic (engine compartment very hot) car does not respond to throttle input. This is an intermittently problem. When you depress the gas pedal the engine does not respond or is very delayed, and then a couple of seconds later it tries to catch up and the engine surges to high RPM. This is very dangerous when pulling out in front of traffic due to the lack of throttle response. It is also very dangerous if there's a person or object in front of the vehicle and it surges and takes off very fast. I took it to the dealer while it was acting up and there weren't any codes in the ECU, but the mechanic put it on a meter and read the voltages of the pedal vs. Throttle body and determined the throttle body was not responding correctly and it was the faulty component. He also admitted that they've had a lot of similar problems with those throttle bodies but there hasn't been a recall on the part. This is a very dangerous problem and needs to be addressed.

- Tracy, CA, USA

Jan 032006

Murano 6-cyl

On 4 different occasions my car has started to accelerate when I am sitting at a stoplight with my foot on the brake. (this has happened over the 3 years that I have owned the car with several months lapsing between incidents) each time when I felt it begin to surge, I put it in neutral while holding the brake pedal down tightly, waiting for the engine racing to stop. I was then able to put the car in drive and it worked normally. The dealer found no codes recorded when I brought the car in, so nothing could be done. In January of '06 I was dropping mail from my car into a mail drop. My car revved up between 4000 and 6000 RPM's. I had my foot on the brake and tried putting it into neutral with no effect on stopping the acceleration. I put the car in park & shut it off. When I restarted it, it was still racing. I had to shut the car down 5 times before the car drove normally. I drove it 2 blocks to my home and had it towed to the dealer. On Jan. 4,2006 the throttle position sensor, chamber as., gasket thr. Were changed. They performed an upper engine decarb. Procedure, cleaned the throttle body, and installed fuel additive. On Jan. 20, 2006 I brought my car back to the dealer because the car started accelerating as I was pushing down on the brake. Dealer found no codes registered on the car's computers, nor could they replicate the problem when they drove the car.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Jun 302004

When stopping at a traffic light, the vehicle surged forward without warning. This caused the driver to lose control of the vehicle. The consumer rear-ended another vehicle as a result. The consumer took the vehicle to the dealer for inspection. The dealer could not duplicate the problem. Recall #10072202 & 10072201.

- Slidell, LA, USA