2003 Nissan Murano miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Nissan Murano:

2003 Nissan Murano Owner Comments

Apr 112015

Just bought car 2 months prior to incident. Started having trouble accelerating after a stop light. Foot was down to the ground and car wouldnt move. Called Nissan and they told me there was a recall on the cvt transmission so the warranty was extended to 10 years or 120,000 miles. Since my car is a 2003 the recall was expired. This is a dangerous safety matter, how can this expire! it needs to be fixed but Nissan was no help! seems that I need a new transmission but can't even get the car to go more than 10mph now and it is stuck at dealer! I am still trying to save money for the transmission three months later and dealing with having to pay over $400 monthly including insurance for a car I am not even using!

- N Bethesda, MD, USA

Mar 192015

Bought this car and paid the first payment on it. Two weeks later was having issues and it took it to my mechanic. Ended up being my transfer case. My mechanic said he was able to pull it down by hand that was how bad it was. I have put less than a 1,000 miles on this new from Nissan transfer case and it is bunny hopping and going bad. You can press the accelerator to the floor and it goes nowhere then bolts forward. Unsafe to drive. My mechanic called Nissan and Nissan states they have never head of anything like this. Really"!?!?!?!"! they told my mechanic when he purchased it that it was the newly designed transfer case same design as the 2005 and should not have any problems. Yet they claim they know nothing about the issue. Why would you rebuild something if it was fine and had no issues. Anyways, the part has a 12/12,000 warranty on it, but I have to again pay for the labor which is $1800... it has been less than two months...why do I have to pay for labor again! keep getting a code stating that it needs a crank shaft sensor. I also have replaced two of them @ $100 a pop! this is crap and Nissan needs to fix it. This dangerous and will lead to fatalities.

- Zanesville, OH, USA

Jun 022011

While driving on the toll road in houston, my vehicle lost speed and power going up an overpass, and luckily I was able to pull off to the shoulder before complete loss of power. The check engine light came on prior to this event. I was able to crank the engine but it would not start. My passenger needed medical assistance due to the heat (100 degrees), and my vehicle had to be towed to the Nissan dealer. This dealer indicated a dtcode P0340, cam sensor and crank sensor failure, and repairs totaled $765.93. Researching this failure, I learned that there was an earlier recall of my exact vehicle for this failure, but my VIN was not included in the recall. After searching the internet, I discovered many, many other owners of 2003 Muranos with VIN numbers outside of the recall are experiencing the exact same problem as the recall. Here's a link to just one of several sites: calls to Nissan usa, requesting they consider a recall of my vehicle, were denied. I am requesting via this complaint that the recall of 2003 Muranos be expanded to include all vehicles with the failure code(s) relating to the cam sensor/crank sensor. The problem is a faulty weld, and although Nissan denies a relationship between their earlier production failures and my auto's failure, there is a definite problem with their weld. I feel fortunate that I did not have my children in the car, and that I was able to steer to the side of the road on the tollroad before stalling. With the average tollroad speed well over 70 mph, my safety and the safety of my passenger was in question due to the location of the breakdown. I hope this never happens to anyone with young children or elderly passengers in the vehicle.

- The Woodlands, TX, USA

Jan 142011

Murano 6-cyl

When driving 2 hours or more on highway and when entering in stop and go traffic, engine does not respond to the gas pedal for 3-5 seconds and then it darts forward. This happened 4 or more times in one occurrence. Nissan Murano SE 2003 AWD. I bought 1 month ago at 121000 mile.

- Monroe, NC, USA

Nov 062010

I have a 2003 Nissan Murano. At approximately 81,000 miles I noticed a burning oil smell after driving. I had the car checked and the transfer case was out of oil. The service dept. Resealed the transfer case under extended warranty. At about 96,000 miles I had the vehicle checked out before end of warranty and again the transfer case leaked out the oil and I had service on transfer case. The seals had to be redone, also under extended warranty. I have the car in now for routine service with transmission fluid flush and fill and because I am getting a strange ticking noise when accelerating. Notified that cvt fluid leaking onto outside of transfer case. Needs transmission seal redone. Over $2000. I am getting the seal redone under transmission 120,000 warranty from Nissan. Dealership says I should get the transfer case seals redone but they are not covered under the transmission warranty and I cannot afford the close to $2000 extra this would cost. Seems that the seals should last more than 8,000 miles as they seemed too after buying the vehicle new and not replacing them until after 50,000 miles. After reading many complaints about a pressure valve and other transmission issues I believe the transmission should be replaced as I am very concerned that just replacing the transmission forward seal(?) will not correct the leaking problems with the transmission transfer case and that the transmission will "go out" after the factory warranty. I believe that there is a problem with the transfer case/transmission in this year/model of vehicle and that Nissan knows this. There should be a recall.

- Lake Stevens, WA, USA

May 152008

When in traffic under appx 10 mph, you accelerate and it does nothing, then suddenly takes off. You don't know when it is going to happen. It is very random and once it starts doing it, it keeps doing it until you stop the engine and restart the car. I have to pull out on a busy street in the afternoon, and have almost been hit. I have taken it to two Nissan dealerships and all they do is say it is a vacuum line. They said I needed new motor mounts to keep the engine stable so that they won't get loose. I had them replaced and it did not fix the problem. The problem does not throw an error code, so no one, including a very reputable auto repair garage, can fix it. We have even started guessing what the problem might be, ie, fuel injectors - had them cleaned - no change. I have now spent almost $3K and I still have the same problem. Nissan tells me that there is a recall, but not for my serial number. I have been dealing with this since about May.

- Gunter, TX, USA

Mar 082004

Murano 6-cyl

Lower mpg realized (20%) than stated on vehicle when bought. Actual mpg is 16 city-20 highway. Complaint to dealer resulted in no satisfaction.

- Shawnee, KS, USA