1. replace door handle (18 reports)
  3. returned to dealer to fix (4 reports)
  4. looped wire through door and tied to handle (#14) (2 reports)
2004 Nissan Murano accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Murano:

2004 Nissan Murano Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 192010

Murano SL 3.5L V6

• CVT transmission

Most expensive cheep peice of (%@p door handle in the world. Especially for such an expensive car. I could understand if you are always YANKING the door handle in anger; but we have NEVER done that. We dont even have kids that are yanking and hanging off this thing; like you would expect MOST SUV owners to have. You would think Nissan would have at least thought of this when they chose such a cheep peice of plastic.

My wife just went to open the door and instead just pulled off the handle as if it was held on with a peice of Scotch tape. The only place I could find a replacement was at the dealer & they try to charge you $130 for something that probably cost .02 cents to make. I really hope there are enough complaints about this that they put in a recall on it or at least credit & refund peoples repairs for this.

- , Nampa, ID, USA

Feb 012010

The door handles on this model are made of plastic and very easy to break. The first to break was our driver's side door handle, now the rear passenger door has broken also. In all my years of driving many cars have never seen this happen. No more Nissan's for us!

- , Paradise, CA, USA

Sep 272009

Murano SE V6

How is it that the exterior door handle could fall off a car that is only 5 years old? That seems a bit ridiculous to me.....especially when I see cars that are 20+ years old driving around with all parts in place! It ended up costing $358 for the dealership to replace it.

- , Little Rock, AR, Gibraltar

Aug 262009

Murano SE 3.6L

• CVT transmission

Well..let me start by saying for the price the cars cost the door handle should never just fall off in my hand. What a pain. Had it repaired at the dealer. The fit and finish on these cars is just not what they should be. Will never ever buy another Nissan product again.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Aug 012009

Murano LX 3.2L V6

So, my husband bought an 04 nissan murano from a honda dealership in town in March of 2009. 4 months later the drivers door handle completely breaks off and my husband has to break into his own car to get into it. We ordered the part $160.00 and repaired it ourselves...what a pain!!! Now...a month later, the back rear door handle (rarely used) is coming off...nice craftsmanship nissan. And nice extended warranty honda...I am so glad we bought it because it covers nothing! Never again!

p.s. I recommend you buy the parts from a nissan dealer as they tend to be cheaper!

- , Omaha, NE, USA

May 062009

Murano SL V6

Well at least I know I'm not alone. My handle was the barely ever used, rear handle. I mean I could understand the drivers or even the passenger, but a rear handle. And to other previous complaints about it being a cheap piece of plastic that they wanted to charge $150 for. ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. Is there really any automobile out there that is built to last. I hope that I find it one day.........

- , Frisco, TX, USA

May 012009

Murano SE V6

I love the way Nissans look! However, I'm really questioning the workmanship. I bought my 2004 Nissan Murano used, and immediately had problems. I had to replace my license plate in the rear upon purchase, but had problems doing so. The nut and bolt both turned on removal, so I had to completely remove the rear door panel and put vice grips on the interior nut. Now, my driver's side door handle broke off (out of the blue), and the dealer wants $240+ to replace it! I bought the handle from at a discount ($95 vs $130+ from the dealer). The dealer wants another $100+ for labor! I've removed the driver's side door panel, but now it looks like I have to remove the power window to get to the door handle! What a pain in the a$$. As much as I like the looks of the Nissan, I'm probably going to have to look elsewhere for my next vehicle.

- , New Braunfels, TX, USA

Jul 112009

The door handle on the driver's side broke and came off completely. The whole thing is freaking plastic including the part that attaches to the mechanics inside the door. The dealer wanted $120 for a new one, I got one for $95 thru my mechanic and will attempt to put the thing on myself.

- , Smyrna, TN, USA

Mar 182009

Murano SL 3.2L V6

• CVT transmission

I am the second owner of this vehicle. I bought it as a lease return. The previous leasee was a woman as well, so I feel comfortable with the knowledge that we did not over use or abuse this vehicle, yet when I went to open my door, the handle came off in my hand. I called the dealer and they told me it would be about 130 dollars to replace it. I told them where they could stick their door handle and I am now searching salvage yards.

- , Spring, TX, USA

Jan 292009

Murano SE 3.2L

I cannot believe that I am all alone in this....well, 2 others on the site feels kind of alone...I don't think that I am hard on my vehicle...I do think the engineering is poor.

- , Haleiwa, HI, USA

Sep 142008

Murano SL V6

• CVT transmission

Dealer said they wanted $400 to fix the broken handle. Tried to tell me it had electronic parts attached. When I informed him I was holding the handle and nothing electronic was on it he said "sir, I am sorry but that it the repair cost."

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Jan 062007

Murano SL 3.5L V6

• CVT transmission

Required 2 visits for each handle,1 to order parts and 1 to install. The dealer said I was the only person on the planet with this problem. This is my "last nissan" I am going back to driving Toyotas

- , Naples, FL, USA