2004 Nissan Murano drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Murano:

2004 Nissan Murano Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Dec 262013

Murano 6-cyl

I bought the 2004 Murano in December of 2013. From day one problems with shaking while driving. It has been in the shop 12 times since then. It had transmission failure twice now. First time they found metal debris in there. The second time was just over the warranty from first time by a few hundred miles! right after that the right back brake caliper was binding so that was replaced. So far they have put on new tires, a few weeks after that they balanced them thinking that was the problem. Had to replace axle shaft carrier bearing, I should have gotten rid of it after the first transmission failure!!!

- Ione, CA, USA

Dec 242014

Mechanic says the differential has to be replaced. Cannot afford a long list of repairs already spent on this car, and now this, impossible to afford and will never buy a Nissan product ever again. I just read the long list of issues with the cvt transmissions on the 2003-8 Murano that all of us are being saddled with. How does Nissan expect any customer brand loyalty?

- West Hempstead, NY, USA

Sep 182014

Murano 6-cyl

My cvt housing transfer case is cracked. I am having a problem accelerating my car. My car had to be towed to my home yesterday because of this issue. This is a huge safety issue.

- Bloomfield, NJ, USA

Sep 062014

Murano 6-cyl

The transmission stopped working on the high way almost causing a collision with another vehicle.

- Norwalk, CT, USA

Dec 282012

Murano 6-cyl

Basically once you have driven this car for awhile or stuck in traffic the car does not go at first when you press the gas. It just sits there for about a minute or so then it takes off. It is a serious safety concern because the car stalls causing others to be forced to slam into you if you are in front of them.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Aug 142013

Murano 6-cyl

When driving my Nissan Murano especially on hot days/in stop & go traffic, the vehicle fails to respond to the depression of the accelerator. When it happens (4X/week), the vehicle will be at a complete stop & not begin to accelerate after depressing the accelerator until around 3K rpms. The problem is resolved by cycling the vehicle off then on, given that the driving conditions don't remain in the form which appeared to initiate the incident. In a few instance the vehicle was left running, with the A/C on while I made a quick run into a convienence store. After backing out of the parking space without a problem, the vehicle exhibited it's slight hesitation while in drive, but then lurched forward at ~3K rpms, and acquired the desired speed and manuevers. After waiting at the light just outside of the parking lot, the vehicle would not respond to the depression of the accelerator in the form of movement. That is, the engine would rev to as much as 5K rpms, but not move more the.5-1mph. The usual cycling of the engine off & then on, would not resolve the problem. The next destination was nearby (1mi.) & downhill, so I was able to coast, in neutral, to that location whilst being honked at & nearly rear-ended by oncoming traffic. After the vehicle had sat at that location for ~3hrs, there were no other problems of the like. Vehicle also looses acceleration while on highway.

- Minnetonka, MN, USA

Jul 012014

While on a stop light the vehicle took a very long time to accelerate at least after 10 seconds. This car is owned by my wife, thank god she wasn't on the highway with my kids. I took it do my mechanic and he said this is an ongoing issue with these cvt transmissions on these Muranos' mostly between 2003-2005. This should be a must recall as this can be a very drastic safety issue and flaw design on these transmissions. In order to repair this problem my family is looking between $2400 to $3000 on repairs. I am not worry about the cost of the repair, most likely I will have to buy a new car but this is a safety concern as there are a lot of Murano owners experiencing the same issue, and I hope that we don't have any fatalities due to this issue because it can occur on any Murano between 2003-2005 as low as 75,000 miles.

- Providence, RI, USA

Jul 112013

Murano 6-cyl

When vehicle is driven a bit the transmission has no power on startup at light. You have to pump the accelerator several times before regaining power. After this is happened the transmission looses power at all different speeds. This is truly unsafe and I am afraid to drive it on a freeway.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

May 092014

Murano 6-cyl

I was driving on my way to a near highway with my two children, and I heard a small knocking noise. I slowed down to a near parking lot, because I thought it was an engine cover that was loose, but the vehicle came to an abrupt stop. When I had it towed, after mothers day weekend, I was told that the problem was the transfer case. Nissan offers a warranty for the cvt transmission (due to known failures with it) that covers 10 years 120,000 miles, but does not include the transfer case (which is another known problem with the 03 04 Murano models). It cost $3,178 to fix the problem at the Nissan dealership (which I had done). When looking for this part there is a vast increase in price between the 03 04 model in comparison to any other model, because there is such a higher demand for this particular part (which indicates that this is a frequent problem with these models). I was told at the dealership that the seals from the transmission were leaking, hence why it broke. The problem is, that I was at that same dealership not too long before due to an alternator problem, and they gave me a list of problems with the vehicle which included: The belt, the belt tensioner, alternator, wheel bearing, and rear brakes, but never mentioned leaking seals on the transfer case. There are way too many factors indicating that there was a manufacturing/engineering problem with the transfer case on these two models that was fixed on later models. I do not feel safe driving vehicle. I asked Nissan to repurchase the vehicle or give me some sort of solution to this problem, because I do not feel safe driving it after the last experience with it, and they declined. Had this failure occurred at the highway it could have been fatal. On top of that the Nissan dealership returned my vehicle, after a $3,178 fix, with a cracked windshield and will not respond for it. Unbelievable.

- Hackettstown , NJ, USA

Jan 302013

Murano 6-cyl

I purchased my SUV new in 2004 I have followed all required dealer maintenance. Last year the SUV began to seek to stall or ignore the accelerator. If I pressed the gas to the floor the SUV would not move, then suddenly it would take off. It seems to have this issue randomly and even seems to stall as I make left turns across traffic lanes. Today was scary, I need my vehicle to get to work, but I'm afraid to drive it. There are hundreds of consumer issues on line all with the same issue. Nissan extended warranties for this issue but never notified most of us. Like Toyota will there have to be fatalities in order for your Agency to force a recall and hold them accountable? clearly Nissan knew the cvt transmissions were faulty, are faulty. I don, T expect a response but something needs to be done. Protect us.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jun 082014

Rattling noise occurred couple months ago then heard winding noise during slow speeds. Yesterday, there was loud clanking noise at 25mph and the car stopped.

- Daly City, CA, USA

Apr 062014

Murano 6-cyl

Wife and I traveling from North Georgia mountains on a state hwy, approx 55 mph. The engine suddenly lost the ability to accelerate and felt as if the car violently downshifted (automatic transmission). There was no forewarning, no 'warning lights' illuminated before, during, or after the event. Fortunately for us, I was able to get the car off the road. The car did not lose electrical power, nor did the engine shut off. The shifter did not accidentally get moved, as the car was still in drive. After we sat on side of the road for several minutes regaining our wits, I depressed the accelerator, to move back onto the highway. The engine would not respond to the gas pedal. It just idled. Again, I pumped the gas pedal and there was no change to engine idle. I turned the ignition switch off, and back on, and the problem cleared. This is the "third such occurrence" in two weeks time. We took the car to a local Nissan dealership in lilburn, Georgia (hwy 78) and explained the problem in detail. The service advisor did not comment if they had ever heard of a similar issue with this vehicle. On the 8th of April, we went back to the dealership to find out what the prognosis was for this vehicle. Nissan did not have an explanation. Their computer readout did not indicate a problem related to our complaint. In otherwords, they had no idea, after charging us $125 for a computer diagnostic. We're back to taking it to a local mechanic to see if they can discover the problem.

- Snellville, GA, USA

Feb 082010

Murano 6-cyl

In about Feb 2010 something went wrong with our 04 Nissan Murano. We took the Murano to Nissan of roseville, ca, and they told us in addition to the actual reason we were there, that our transmission needed to be replaced. We explained that we didn't feel anything different while driving. Mike (service guy) told us the 2004 Murano has a huge problem with transmissions failing, and Nissan has since redeveloped the cvt trans, and should be replaced. And the warranty is expiring at 80,000 miles, and would not be covered any longer. We were reluctant, but after speaking further with mike, and now feeling scared that my wife will be stuck somewhere with a broken trans, we did reluctantly let Nissan do the repairs. Out of fear of future failure. Shortly after, Nissan extended the trans warranty to 120,000, or 10 years. Now, the Murano has just under 137K, and the transmission broke while my wife was on the freeway, and only by my wife's quick thinking, did she avoid a collision with another car. The whole car shuts down, even if you press the gas down to the floor. Nothing happens. She was able to restart the car, and slowly (5mph) move over to the shoulder of the freeway. I hope you understand how scary this scenario was. So now we call Nissan Consumer Affairs, gave them the details of the car (yr make model VIN miles) over the phone. Nissan asked that I tow the car to the dealer, so I did the next day (Friday 28th). I received a call Monday morning (31st), and pat from Nissan Consumer Affairs told me there was nothing they could do since it was out of warranty. We did not want the trans replaced at 65,000 miles, but the dealership used scare tactics, and assured us that the new transmissions will not be a problem. My wife was almost in a crash on the freeway, because of this very common issue. I believe Nissan should recall these transmission due to the safety hazard.

- Elk Grove , CA, USA

Feb 172014

Murano 6-cyl

The vehicle feels like it won't shift. When first starting out the RPM's race to 3 or 4 and the car revs like it won't shift gears. Now, while driving 70 the RPM's are at 5 or 6 and feels/sounds like it wont shift.

- Carlton, MN, USA

Feb 042014

Murano 6-cyl

Transmission fails in traffic. Cannot accelerate. This is a safety hazard where lives are being put at risk.

- Bronx , NY, USA

Jan 302014

Just L 2 weeks ago my transmission was replaced and a week later my transfer case unit needed to be replaced. After doing research I found out that this was a common issue with the Nissan Murano with year ranging from 2003-2009.

- Lansdowne, PA, USA

Jan 042014

Murano 6-cyl

My 2004 Nissan Murano lost power while driving down the road and almost caused an accident. The transmission made a grinding sound when pushing down the accelerator and lost most of its ability to accelerate at all and then started lurching forward rocking the whole vehicle back and fourth. I took it to a Nissan dealership and explained the problem, I even left it over night so they could test it in hot and cold conditions. The dealer called me the next day and told me it wasn't the transmission but two drive belts, front right bearing and strut cap that needed to be replaced. I refused the work at the Nissan dealer and took it to a (ase mechanic) friend who ordered all factory Nissan parts and installed them. Needless to say after reading all the other problems other 04 Nissan Murano owners are having, I am still having the same problem. The car makes a loud grinding sound looses power and is rocking back forward causing the whole vehicle to leap forward if you let off the brakes. The dealer told me that without a check engine code they could do nothing for me. I have read several complaints about the same issue and worry about my safety as well as for others around the vehicle. I live next to two elementary schools and have to drive on the highway daily. Why isn't Nissan being held accountable for their issues that should be recalls?.I have every service record for the vehicle with all scheduled maintenance logged with receipts. It seems like the dealerships have all come up with different ways of not addressing the issue. If this were to happen to me on the highway at speeds of 60mph it could cause a major accident, god forbid even life threatening. The cost to replace the transmission and transfer case will exceed the value of the car thus totaling the vehicle. Please help!!! I don't want to be held responsible for defects that could be avoided!

- Gainesville, VA, USA

Jan 082014

Murano 6-cyl

Car stalled in the middle of highway and would move and stall all of a sudden. Car mechanic indicated the code is P0776 indicating defective cvt transmission. Nissan has not recalled this transmission and I am out of warranty. This is a defect and should be recalled as there are numerous complaints due to the same incident on these transmissions.

- Homestead, FL, USA

Dec 122013

Well I was driving regular to heavy traffic transmission just locked on me car started shaking had to pull to the side after other driver's stop to try to help the car turns on but when you get to 40 it starts jerking and wont shift I took it to mechanic shops they put it on the computer and nothing comes up he ran it for a while and it ran ok. Again a day later im on my way to work and it did it again this time I almost got hit from behind at this point im scared to drive this car. Some one please help me I have 3 small children that commute with me and im scared that we will get into an accident. Is anyone aware of any factory defects on these Muranos?

- Tampa, FL, USA

Sep 212013

My 2004 Nissan Murano conked out while making a turn on a busy Chicago intersection. The cvt was the culprit. Nissan knows there is design flaw with this transmission and extended the warranty to 10 years/100K which ever comes first. Unfortunately my car exceeded the mileage. After 2 tows and more than a week at the dealer, I received a bill for over 4K. Nissan knew of this problem from the get go. There should be a recall due to the safety issue. There is no way of being prepared for this type of incident. Consumers should be protected.

- Dundee, IL, USA