2004 Nissan Murano drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Murano:

2004 Nissan Murano Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Sep 212013

Murano

My 2004 Nissan Murano conked out while making a turn on a busy Chicago intersection. The cvt was the culprit. Nissan knows there is design flaw with this transmission and extended the warranty to 10 years/100K which ever comes first. Unfortunately my car exceeded the mileage. After 2 tows and more than a week at the dealer, I received a bill for over 4K. Nissan knew of this problem from the get go. There should be a recall due to the safety issue. There is no way of being prepared for this type of incident. Consumers should be protected.

- Dundee, IL, USA

Jun 012011

Murano

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Murano. The contact stated that while driving 75 mph, the accelerator failed to respond to acceleration attempts. The contact also mentioned that the vehicle erroneously decelerated while the accelerator pedal was being depressed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the mechanic was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 110,000. The current mileage was 200,000.

- Ackerman, MS, USA

Aug 022011

Murano

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Murano. The contact stated that while having routine maintenance performed on the vehicle, she was notified that the transfer case gasket was leaking and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 95,000 and the current mileage was 122,000.

- Cary , NC, USA

Apr 152013

Murano

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Murano. The contact stated that while attempting to accelerate, the vehicle hesitated. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 132,000.

- Hagerstown, MD, USA

Jun 062013

Murano 6-cyl

There was a structural failure of the anchor/bracket underneath the driver's seat. While I am driving, the seat rocks from side to side, and dips up and down. When I turn, the seat rocks a couple of inches down and then pops back as I come out of the turn. Also vehicle loses acceleration power when coming out of a complete stop.

- Humble, TX, USA

Jul 182013

Murano 6-cyl

My wife was driving and, suddenly the car slow down by itself in the residence area. She managed to move the car out of the road.

- Irvington, NJ, USA

Jul 152013

Murano 6-cyl

While traveling vehicle began to make very loud noise and began to stall. Had to be towed to mechanic at which time it was determined the transfer case was cracked. As I researched this, I discovered numerous Murano owners with this issue. Vehicle only has 69,000 miles and the cost to repair $4000!

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jun 142013

Murano 6-cyl

Transmission has defective seal between it and transfer case causing gear oil to leak out and failure to components. Can cause loss of control and stalling while in traffic with potential to have an accident or crash.

- Vienna, VA, USA

May 272013

Murano 6-cyl

I having been driving about 50 mph and try to accelerate to 65 and the engine is struggling to get up to speed. I also parked in a parking stall and could not get it into park it was stuck between drive and neutral. I had to try several times to get it into park. I finally was able to get it into park. I would like to know if there is a recall on this transmission for a 2004 Murano. All the reviews show that there have been problems with the transmission for this year I now have to pay over $3000 for a new transmission. Is this going to be problems with my new transmission?

- Mequon, WI, USA

May 102012

Murano 6-cyl

5/10/12: Stopped in traffic on I-75 South in tn. Had driven approx 5 hours. Traffic proceeded to normal speed. Stepped on gas pedal, car would not accelerate. Then immediately sped off. Dealer was finally able to diagnose the issue on 5/6/2013 (now outside of warranty). The issue was first recognized by Nissan Nov 2006 (ntb05-084A). Nissan Corp has chosen to not recall the vehicles. They also will not assist with the repair ($2050). Was also told that the repair may not fix the issue. Some people have fixed this issue only to end up having the transmission replaced ($5000+). the issue is only apparent in warmer weather (and not daily).

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Apr 252013

Murano 6-cyl

Went to dealership to check power loss and noise from cvt transmission. Dealer gave me an estimate of $4225 to replace transfer case. They said that warranty was for the transmission and not the transfer case. After researching on the internet, several thousand cases of leaking or failing transfer cases have been found for this vehicle and Nissan has ignored all instances to avoid a recall. Plus, they are charging $4225 for a part that makes up the transmission using a technicality to avoid replacing the defective part.

- Vienna, VA, USA

Feb 082013

Murano 6-cyl

While driving on freeway car would not respond to throttle. After shutting down engine and restarting car ran normally. Second event occured in heavy traffic with no response to throttle. Took car to the dealer in burien Washington for full check out and they could find no problem with car. Everything was normal and no fault codes. Third event occured last night while driving in heavy traffic on freeway. This event was more severe. Car decelerated rapidly (almost like the brakes had been slammed on but it was definitely something in the transmission or transfer case) and the engine RPM also increased rapidly. Car was difficult to control, nearly causing an accident. I was able to get car to side of freeway. I turned off the engine and restarted car. Car ran normally. In reading other reports on the internet this is a known problem with the 2003 and 2004 Murano transmissions and or transfer cases. It is very dangerous. The dealers cannot find the problem and it can happen at any time.

- Burien, WA, USA

Aug 012012

Murano 6-cyl

Delayed in acceleration. Faulty cvt transmission.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Dec 172012

Murano 6-cyl

I was stopped at traffic light, when light turned green I began to accelerate. I began to smell burning thru air vents and then at about 40 mph the car would not respond to my acceleration of gas pedal. I had lost all power and control of vehicle. The car behind me had to swerve suddenly to avoid me and it almost caused a serious wreck with my 4 children inside. I had battery checked and alternator checked and was told alternator was bad. Well I replaced alternator and wouldn't you know it 2 weeks later, the same incident occurred, I was going about 35-40 mph and it just quit again. And again my 4 kids were inside as I was driving them to school! I've called to inquire about the recall for this issue and am told mine doesn't qualify. I've seen so many people with this issue. Why isn't it being addressed. Will it take having my 4 kids inside involved in an awful wreck? we need someone to help with this before something bad has to happen!!

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Nov 232012

Murano 6-cyl

Driving to ct car dies in mid momentum and almost causes a serious accident. Fought to get over into the breakdown lane almost getting hit by a sixteen wheeler. After a $150 dollar tow the car starts up and I drove it to the dealer the next day. I was told that it was a cam position and cam shaft sensor. Total cost $650. Take car home two days later the surges started and the car starts sputtering again. Currently the car is at the dealer and I am being told that it might be a transmission issue on a car that does not have 60K on it. This is ridiculous how can Nissan allow these issues with the cvt go on with doing a recall. I mean I almost lost my life does it take someone to die before something happens.

- Hyde Park, MA, USA

Oct 082012

Murano

As noted w all this complaints about this cvt, Nissan should have recalled this. Just paid almost 5 G for remanufactured transmission. It seems to me a lot of people got ripped off from this car, I hope your Agency can help from our losses and fear for this defective transmission.

- Brooksville, FL, USA

Aug 012012

Murano

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Murano. The contact stated that the vehicle would not properly respond to acceleration attempts. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who confirmed that there was a failure with the transmission. The manufacturer was not contacted and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 134,000 and the current mileage was 134,300.

- Apple Valley, CA, USA

Sep 112010

Murano

I was driving my Murano and came to a stoplight when upon acceleration nothing happened. I have taken the car to the dealer several times about this and they have failed to fix the problem. It can be very dangerous if a car is approaching from behind and the car will not accelerate.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Apr 042012

Murano 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Murano. The contact stated that the vehicle would lose acceleration power sporadically. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for the failure. The dealer replaced the transmission fluid numerous times but the failure was not corrected. The failure would recur mostly when driving downhill and most recently, the vehicle would stall sporadically. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where a diagnostic was performed, which located the failure as the transmission slipping and low pressure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 197,467. Updated 07/02/13 updated 7/31/13

- Foster , OR, USA

Mar 262012

Murano 6-cyl

Transfer case failed the first time around 75,000 miles when I was driving. Suddenly slowed down and hear loud bang noise. Noise continue as I coast the vehicle to a stop. Loud bang noise, and the vehicle would shake. Got it replace $3000. One year later at around 96,000 on 3/26/2012. It happen again. Same exact symptoms. Never buying a Nissan ever again. There is a service bulletin about it, so they are aware of the problem but yet they aren't doing anything about it. The extended cvt warranty does not cover the transfer case. Even though the transfer case is connected to the cvt.

- Somerset, NJ, USA