2004 Nissan Murano drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Murano:

2004 Nissan Murano Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Oct 222016

Murano

Transmission failed without warning at 68K miles. While on highway engine just started free reving. Had to coast to side of road. Nissan will not assist in repair as car is over 10 years old. Dealer worked on transfer case in may; thought they reported all was well.

- Gibsonia, PA, USA

Jul 182016

Murano

2004 Murano would not excel at stop signs/red lights or low speeds. Tested by Nissan dealership, codes show transmission going out. Love my clean, looks like new Murano even at its age and 136,000 miles. Owned Nissan's since late 80's. Nissan Corp. Will not help with repair. So not fair. Nissan knows their product was inferior. Being forced to purchase a new vehicle. Repairs almost as much as vehicle's value. I loved my Murano so much I talked them up to friends/family so they purchased Nissan's. opposite opinion now!!! goodbye Nissan!!!!! you have hurt me financially so I hope to do the same!!!!!

- Cordele, GA, USA

Aug 012016

Murano

I'd like to start by saying this is my 3rd or 4th complaint pertaining to the same issue and I have yet to get a response. Customers have the option to list their complaints, however, I believe this is a serious matter not to mention safety issue. There's no rhyme or reason this matter should be over looked by no means. Once again as I am driving with my kids this is my biggest concern with Nissan, traffic is flowing but have stop and go moments, so as I was at a stop moment, then proceeded to go, I pressed on the accelerator as I normally do, pressed all the way down, nothing, I repeat nothing happened my car didn't move at all, instead it loss power, the rpms increased that's about all. Mind you I'm on the expressway I-55 with majority of the vehicles are semi-trucks this is very frightening, not knowing when this will occur. Me and my kids life are at stake each and every time we're in this vehicle. No one has reached out to me and other family's I'm sure, why? I don't know. This is a safety issue, no indication that loss of power is about to happen, and or will happen. I saved up and spent my hard earned money buying this vehicle because I heard that the Nissan name/brand was good, reliable, etc. Not sure if I believe that now after the many issues and concerns I have with my Nissan Murano. How long does it take to make a decision that obviously there need to be a recall on the powertrain due to cvt failure. I'm very disappointed in the decision I made to purchase this vehicle. In addition, to that I disappointed in the lack of concern from the maker of this vehicle. I'm hoping that this matter gets resolved soon before lives are lost. No fatalities should come of this if the issue is addressed now.

Jun 152016

Murano

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Murano. While driving 55 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed, but the vehicle lost power and did not accelerate. The rpms increased, but did not affect the power of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the cvt failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 89,000....updated 08/15/16

- Ludlow, MA, USA

Jan 222016

Murano

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Murano. When the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle hesitated to respond. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000. The VIN was not available.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 212016

Murano

While driving in rush hour traffic mind U a big truck was behind me traffic is stop and go, as I press down on the accelerator there was no movement from my vehicle, like it loss power, I though maybe the gear was changed, but then it dawned on me that this has happened to me not once or twice, but it's beginning to happen more frequently this is not normal. I confirmed that the gear was still in drive, as I pressed down on the accelerator my vehicle jerked as it proceeded to take off (as if it was in turbo boost), I could have hit someone else's car (good thing I didn't). This is a very serious matter many, many lives are at stake. I'm disappointed that this matter have not raised corporate eyes at Nissan. The reason for this page is for consumers to report complaints but it seems as if I'm not getting the answering that's needed to fix this serious issue and nor are the other owners who have listed their complaints. This issue should not be addressed after people have lost their lives by having/causing accidents due to loss of power. This is scary for myself and my family. I get nervous when driving on the highway and or the expressway not knowing when this faulty power train issue will happen. Good thing that big truck didn't run into the back of me that would have been deadly. No one should have to jeopardize their lives and others. Nissan should correct this problem immediately. How and when is it determined on what complaint get addressed. Disappointed customer. Also, the actuators on my passenger side both front and back does not work they have to be locked manually along with the hatch it doesn't seem to lock either. The actuators should not go out and should be replaced.

May 022016

Murano

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Murano. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle shook violently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed, but the cause of the failure could not be determined. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 154,000.

- Dallas, TX, USA

May 292016

Murano

While in the process of accelerating my vehicle from a stop, I pushed on the accelerator, the vehicle did not move, I thought maybe it was out of gear for the simple fact that it did not respond when pushing down on the accelerator; clearly that was not the case the vehicle was still in drive. However, I pushed on it again an it was big jerk before the vehicle moved forward.... this problem/issue has become very annoying, but most of all dangerous an are people lives at risk and jeopardy of causing an accident. It's very scary driving my vehicle not knowing if the vehicle will or will not accelerate properly as it should. Driving on a highway this matter becomes even more dangerous. In addition to that when pressing on the accelerator the vehicle seems to be very loud, each and every time when pressing the accelerator. I do not like putting my family's life at risk when they're riding along with me. This issue must and need to be address asap. I am very disappointed because the fact of the matter Nissan and or the NHTSA have not recalled the 2004 Nissan Murano to correct this serious matter. Lord and behold it shouldn't take anyone to lose their life or (lives) before this stalling issue is corrected. People bought this vehicle because Nissan is known to make good quality vehicles and have been known to have a good reputation for safety. I'm beginning to second guess the quality of Nissan vehicles. My kids are everything to me, so with kind regards can this matter be taken serious. All lives matter.

Jan 312013

Murano

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Murano. While attempting to accelerate from a stop, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle failed to accelerate. In addition, the vehicle jerked before moving forward. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 09V169000 (engine and engine cooling). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Boston, MA, USA

May 022016

Murano

Bought the car used at about 110K in December 2015, had no issues at all. Flash forward to May 2nd 2016. After sitting in start/stop traffic for 20-30 minutes, the traffic finally started to flow, I attempted to accelerate and had a horrible, shaking, jerking from the vehicle. About 2 miles later after arriving to work and trying to turn a corner and applying gas after the corner, it did it again, this time though it caused me to clip a bumper around a concrete barrier, then the car lost all power and the check engine light came on. Could not get it to move at all. After having it towed to an authorized Nissan dealership, I found out the cvt had went out. I guess I can be glad it went out in a parking garage, because if it went out where the initial hesitation happened, I would have been in a wreck. 7.3K cash money spent on the vehicle, buying outright from a dealer, now with me being asked to spend another 4.5K on a part that Nissan had acknowledged to be an issue, because the drive train warranty was extended to 10 year 120K warranty. Needless to say with me being a first time Nissan buyer and being out this much money and no way to come up with another 4.5K, this was also my last Nissan. Put less than 2K on it when I purchased it. Even worse is when the Nissan dealership (part of the same company who sold me the car from their used lot) is talking me out of repairing the car, because the trade in value would only be the same price as the part.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Apr 242016

Murano

I was trying to accelerate from a stop, when the car refused to respond to the press of the gas pedal. Finally, it slowly accelerated up to 10 mph, then the transmission shifted and the car took off rapidly. Fortunately, I was able to control it. Problem is repeatable.

- Elgin, IL, USA

Feb 142016

Murano

I purchased my Murano from a used car dealer 9 months ago. Until recently the car was working great, however recently, the car stopped accelerating.. after shutting the car off for a few moments and restarting the acceleration issue appears to be solved. The following day the issue continued after I stopped at a light. After depressing the accelerator for a few seconds, the car feels like it is going to stall. After shutting the car off and turing it back on it takes of like it is in a drag race but seems to temporarily solve the issue until you come to a stop, this has become a constant routine when driving the vehicle. When the car comes to a full stop (as in traffic) it feels like it wants to stall. You can keep it going by keeping one foot on the gas and one on the brake then when the accelerator is pressed, the car takes off like in a drag race. I was informed by a Nissan dealer that the cause of the stalling is the power train; the cost of which to replace will be upwards of $4000. After doing my own research I found out that the issues I am experiencing is common to Muranos manufactured between 2003-2009 and that Nissan has steadfastly refused to recall the vehicles and fix these faulty cvts. This is quite perplexing as many thousands of people across the country have reported similar issues. I cannot afford this costly repair and I am still making payments on the car. Because this is such a common problem and a great safety issue, Nissan needs to be forced to recall these cars and replace the part that is causing the problem!

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Aug 282015

Murano

2004 Nissan Murano with transfer case leaking like many other 2003-2007 Murano's. Nissan needs to recall all of these cars and replace the parts.

- Marlborough, MA, USA

Jul 062015

Murano

Got this car from my brother and began driving it at 104,800 miles on vehicle. Within a few days, waiting to turn left into a parking lot, depressing accelerator and nothing happened. This has succeedingly happened a dozen times, more often in heavy traffic from a stopped position. My mechanic has replaced the throttle body and checked all codes. Still, it is continuing. In reading complaints, both at this.gov site and other websites, this is a common and consistent fault with the cvt transmission for 03 & 04 Nissan. Neither Nissan nor www.NHTSA.dot.gov has responded. Does someone have to die before there is a reaction? it implies not only this, but also that Nissan understands it will do better financially dealing with the very few instances of lawsuits. The car qualifies for the lemon law, if there is such a law still in effect. It is worthless unless I spend around $5000. To replace a transmission that is faulty to begin with.

- Yakima, WA, USA

Aug 012015

Murano

I purchased my Murano brand new in 2004. Until recently the car worked well enough, however whiles driving on the highway recently, the car stopped accelerating. Fortunately I was able to pull to the median safely without incident. After shutting the car off for a few moments and restarting the acceleration issue appeared to be solved. The following day the car completely stalled after I stopped at a light. After depressing the accelerator for a few seconds, the car took off as if it is in a drag race. Very, very dangerous. Shutting the car off and then putting it back on seems to temporarily solve the issue, however this has become a constant routine when driving the vehicle. When the car comes to a full stop (as in traffic) it stalls. When the accelerator is pressed, the car takes off. Took the car to the Nissan dealership where I was informed that the cause of the stalling is the power train; the cost of which to replace will be upwards of $4000. After doing my own research I found out that the issues I am experiencing is common to Muranos manufactured between 2003-2009 and that Nissan has steadfastly refused to recall the vehicles and fix these faulty cvts. This is quite perplexing as many thousands of people across the country have reported similar issues. Is Nissan waiting for someone to die before they replaced the defective cvts in their older vehicles? please force them to address this issue before it's too late.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 262015

Murano

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Murano. The contact stated that while driving down an incline approximately 20 mph, the transmission failed to respond until after the gear lever was shifted into park and then into the drive position. The vehicle resumed normally. The failure recurred three times. On a separate occasion, the transmission slipped out of gear for a few moments. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Jun 252015

Murano

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Murano. While driving at approximately 55 mph, the vehicle slowed down without having to depress the brake pedal. The failure recurred six times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the throttle bottle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was later taken to a dealer where it was confirmed that the throttle bottle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The vehicle was then taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power train failed and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 149,000.

- Alderson, WV, USA

May 052014

Murano 6-cyl

Transmission would periodically stop working. Was replaced by Nissan under extended warranty. Eleven months later and 17,000 miles transmission stopped working again due to cross contamination from radiator. My complaint is why didn't someone tell me about the radiator problem at the time on installing the new transmission. I would have paid for a new one myself. It is impossible for me too prevent that from happening since the leak is internal. From what the mechanics are telling me. That should not be possible to happen. My car blue book value went from $8500 high end to $1000. My car now has 123,634 miles on it now.

- Seal Beach, CA, USA

Mar 282015

Murano 6-cyl

Just got this Murano. The other day went to go take off from a light. And the Murano wouldn't go anywhere. Finally limped to side of the road, turned the car off, turned car on, was fine for a day or two. After driving to grocery store, left parking lot. Stopped at light. Went to take off and wouldn't even rev up, I had a baby and a small child in my car, car behind me had to go up on sidewalk in order to avoid hitting me. This is now have has become a safety issue when it happens I have to floor it for about 15 seconds before it engages the throttle. Have read that it can be everything from a bad ground, cvt failure, transfer case failure, or the ipdm or ECM is fried. Mechanic can't narrow it down to what the problem is. Nissan want to charge me over $100 just to diagnose if they can. And from what I've read they won't even do much better than suggest changing out the transmission for a cost of $6,000. Why am I changing transmission on a car that has less than a hundred thousand miles" I am really disappointed, my family has owned Datsun/Nissan forever. My dad still has his 76 280 Z. my mom still has her 79 280 Z 2+2. my mom also has her 95 Nissan hardbody, which has been through hell and never once has had a problem. I have been a fan of Nissan forever because of the reliability and ease in which you can fix them. I am severely disappointed with Nissan for not covering the problems or recalling all the problems with the Murano. My family myself and my friends have now officially decided to boycott Nissan, they have now lost life-long customers. On a side note. Electronic throttles or fly by wire, is the dumbest thing in the world. If you have a burnt out bulb no throttle, chance of accident greater than 90%. faulty stereo, no throttle chance of accident greater than 90%. am I the only one whom sees a bad pattern here"

- Portland, OR, USA

Feb 132015

Murano 6-cyl

I purchased vehicle 2/9/2015 since than I have taken to get 2 total vehicle inspections. Both inspections I have been given two different estimated problems. When at a complete stop and trying to take off vehicle will not go, after about 15 to 20 seconds it will take off at a rapid speed which scares me to the point where I am glad it doesn't happen on expressway I know me and my 8 yr old would be injured. I have been told it could be the transmission and/or the trans case both I have looked up and omg more complaints than any vehicle I have ever owned. Second issue is, when turning a corner left or right it hesitates like it doesn't want to go, I have been told its the trans case. If Nissan knows there are issues with the cvt why haven't they done a recall, especially before someone dies with the delayed hesitation. I just spent $6,000 on the vehicle because I was told go foreign you won't be unhappy, and here I am being told I need to spent another $6,000 to repair an issue that's has so many complaints.

- Lansing, IL, USA