2004 Nissan Murano electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Murano:

2004 Nissan Murano Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

May 192011

Murano 6-cyl

A recurring check engine light problem, hesitation on acceleration after sitting in traffic for a while, poor idling, and the even a complete shutoff while my girlfriend was driving and my two daughters as passengers. The cars has completed shutoff twice while driving. Once while turning left at low speed and the other one while on the highway.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Nov 112010

Murano 6-cyl

My wife and I went out to go to an appointment when the remote access key didn't work. We tried to use our key and that failed to work as well. Basically, we were locked out of our car with no way to gain access to our vehicle. Two hours later I came out and the driver side door was open. Remember, two hours ago we were locked out and now only the driver side door is unlocked without me doing anything to it. So I test the door with the manual key to see if it all works and by some miracle it does. But once again, the remote key doesn't work. The wife took it apart and re-assembled it and then it worked. This feels like it will become a huge problem and I've read reports of the same category of Nissan Murano failures and am afraid of an emergency where the door needs to be opened and it can't be in a reliable time frame.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 012010

Door locks and gas lock do not work or work intermittently. There wan an occasion where I had to tow the car because I had no gasoline and was not able to open the gas door. The mechanic fix it temporarily. The second time it happened I bent the gas door and had to replace the door. I fix that problem by deactivating the gas door lock.

- San Juan, PR, USA

Jan 012008

Electronic door lock failure, 2004 Nissan Murano SE. Whether activated from the driver's door button or by remote fob and whether for lock or unlock, electromechanical response at each affected door is too weak, requiring manual lock/unlock. Problem is not consistent at each door although all 4 doors have not worked simultaneously in 2-3 yrs. Driver's door is the only one which has not been affected so far.

- Mansfield, TX, USA

May 252010

Doors lock malfunction all the time.

- Carol Stream, IL, USA

Jan 022010

Battery dies every 4 to 6 mo. Have to keep buying new batteries because Nissan says they can not find a problem. First time with original oem battery (2 years old) on vacation and the battery died in the hotel paring lot on a Sunday out of town. Would not jump start. No dealer open so bought a $150 battery from well known parts store. Now every 4 to 6 mo battery dies the same way, will not jump start because deed cell in battery this is the 5th battery now in 2 years. Nissan says they can not find any thing and the parts store says its not their batteries. I am left with a car I can not take on trips as it will die on us. Nissan says they can not find any problems and a new battery is replaced but happens again. Parts store runs test on battery and on car they show intermittent spikes but it does not show up on there elect. Tool. Help I am stuck and no I wants to help.

- Hermitage, TN, USA

Jul 302009

My Murano suddenly would not accelerate and the ABS and brake lights illuminated. The same exact description of the original recall for the alternator. I had to tow to dealer and luckily I still was under extended warranty so it was mostly covered. Called Nissan this morning and they informed me that the recall was already performed for my vehicle in September of 2006. Obviously they didn't learn from their original mistake. They should be doing repair again for free and paying for the battery that got fried in the process.

- Surprise, AZ, USA

Sep 252008

I own a Nissan Murano and in May 08 driving on the freeway and without any warning we had a sudden loss of power. We managed to pull over, stopped the engine and restarted it. Check engine light came on but we were going out of town and car drove fine and check engine light went off. We had the same problem on 9/6/08 and took the car to Nissan dealership. They claim it was a wiring problem to the throttle connection and repaired it and assured me they had fixed the problem. Driving home on an extremely busy freeway in rush hour it happened again, today 9/25 and this time the car behind me had to swerve to avoid me but I was near my exit and cruised to a stop. I was quite shaken. I turned the car off and it started again and immediately drove it to the dealership. They still have it and are checking it. This is an extremely dangerous situation. I have called Nissan and they apparently do not have any complaints and also the dealership has not heard of this which is quite surprising as literally hundreds of complaints regarding the Murano for same problem on websites. My complaint is that the 2004 Nissan Murano (less than 37,000 miles) is extremely dangerous to drive and Nissan knows there is a problem and they are ignoring it. We have been lucky that we were not rear-ended at high speeds where someone could have been killed. I am waiting to hear back from Nissan but the fact that the dealership has not heard of this problem is amazing, just type in Nissan Murano sudden loss of acceleration and you will see. Not sure if anything can be done, but I want my complaint documentation in case someone dies due to this problem.

- Santa Maria, CA, USA

Sep 282006

Murano 6-cyl

Vehicle had recall issued on July 14th, 2005. The recall was changing the alternator. Our vehicle had the recall performed several months ago. The recall was to make sure the vehicle does not fail while driving (shut down). Our vehicle shut down while driving on 9/28/06, after it had recall performed. It had the exact consequence as if the recall had not been performed.

- Salem, NH, USA

Oct 312005

Murano 6-cyl

While driving, brake warning lamp suddenly came on. Accelerator stopped responding. Then eventually, the engine died.

- Norwalk, CA, USA

Nov 272004

Murano 4WD 6-cyl

The engine stalled at highway speeds of 35 mph. No warning lights had come on, prior to the engine stalling. The heater motor blower stopped working and about 20 minutes later, the engine stalled. The steering was lost. As soon as the vehicle had come to a stop, the consumer shifted the gear into park and the engine restarted. The problem could not be duplicated.

- Chesepeake, VA, USA

May 032005

Murano 6-cyl

2004 Nissan Murano SE AWD with only 1901 miles had the alternator fail today. The car completely lost power leaving my unable to accelerate or use power steering or braking functions. Occurred on local city streets---had this occurred on the highway travelling at highway speeds it could have easily led to an accident. This is a very unsafe condition and should be rectified immediately. Dealer tech acknowledges that there have been numerous problems with the alternator. Dealer has ordered a replacement part (albeit a remanufactured one and not a new one) and will be replacing it tomorrow. The

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Dec 282004

Murano 6-cyl

Alternator failure on 2004 Nissan Murano with 4026 miles on it. 1. faulty start, brake light and battery light came on. 2. car completely lost acceleration then power. 3. towed to nearest Nissan dealership- new alternator installed- repaired at no cost to customer.

- Mountain View, CA, USA

Jan 092005

Murano 6-cyl

1) loss of acceleration and blinking dash lights (vdc on/off, ABS, battery) and strange noise through stereo 2) smell of electrical components at high heat 3) smoke in cabin, smoke from under hood.

- Dublin, CA, USA

Sep 102004

Alternator failed. Pe04077_cat

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Jun 282004

Murano 6-cyl

While driving 45 mph consumer noticed that the battery and brake light appeared on the dashboard and remained on. Consumer applied the accelerator pedal and the vehicle failed to accelerate. Vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection, and mechanic determined that the alternator and battery needed to be replaced, and replaced them. However, the problem recurred. Pe04077_cat

- Juncos, PR, USA

Oct 122004

Murano 4WD 6-cyl

Alternator failed while driving on the highway. Luckily I was in bumper to bumper traffic so the speed was only about 10 mph but I think that had I been going 65 that the potential for an accident etc. Would be very likely. You lose all ability to accelerate, imagine pulling off onto a street with a failure like this and a car coming in the other direction? steering is slighly compromised as well. Again, I was lucky and coasted to the side of the road, someone else may not be as lucky. Pe04077_cat

- North Dighton, MA, USA

Oct 102004

Murano 6-cyl

Alternator failed and car stopped in the middle of the freeway during night time while I am driving a car. Thankfully I pulled my car to the side of the freeway and called 911, because I had no lights at all because my car totally died and I had a baby and a wife in the back seat. Pe04077_cat

- Wilmington, CA, USA

Oct 092004

Murano 6-cyl

I own a Nissan Murano 2004 automobile. Since Oct. 6 2004 I have had a battery & brake light come on & off. On Oct. 9 within the morning time frame the battery, brake, ABS and airbag light came on right before I stopped at a stop sign. Once I came to a complete stop I pressed on the gas pedal and the car engine revved up but the Murano went no where. I shut off the car and turned it back on and the car did not want to start at all. I tried boosting it and the Murano did turn on but the car did not go anywhere. I did send it the nearest dealership and Nissan of jersey city, N.J. did fix my problem in a very quick manner. It seemed to be a alternator problem. They have replaced my alternator with an updated version. Pe04077_cat

- New York, NY, USA

Oct 082004

Murano 6-cyl

I recently had my 2004 Murano at 12,000 miles towed to the dealership. The brake light and battery light went on, on the way to work in the morning and continued to be on all day. Being that there was no sign of trouble except for the warning light and no Nissan dealership in the area of where I work I proceeded through my day. I headed home and came to a stop sign and went to go accelerate and went no where as if I was in neutral. I idled to the side of the road so I could turn the truck on and off and still I could not accelerate. I idled to my house fortunately was around the corner and called the dealership. The service person asked if I could go in reverse so I tried and I could. I put it in drive and surprisingly was able to go forward so I was told to bring it in immediately. On my way to the dealership on the highway doing 65 to 70 in the evening traffic went to accelerate and went no where!!! I was in the middle of traffic doing 5 mph with no way getting to the shoulder which was so dangerous. Finally a kind person let me go idle to the side to where I could call a tow truck. As I was sitting waiting for a tow truck, I tried to turn the truck on but it would not turn over. It seems to me that this problem is not being remedied as it should be before a person losses a life. This is a serious problem that is continuing through the models. It is being over looked at the expense of the consumer. I am paying for a car that has a great reputation as I were to think. Pe04077_cat

- Center Moriches, NY, USA