2004 Nissan Murano engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Murano:

2004 Nissan Murano Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 182013

Murano 6-cyl

My wife was driving and, suddenly the car slow down by itself in the residence area. She managed to move the car out of the road.

- Irvington, NJ, USA

Oct 122012

Murano

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Murano. The contact stated that while attempting to accelerate from a traffic light, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The contact mentioned that once the accelerator engaged, the vehicle would lunge forward abnormally. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who was unable to diagnose the failure. However, the mechanic replaced the throttle as a temporary remedy. The remedy failed to repair the problem. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 95,000.

- Caledonia, MI, USA

Apr 012011

Murano 6-cyl

Have had a problem of the accelerator hesitating from a complete stop and then suddenly going forward. When pressing gas pedal nothing would happen when almost pressing all the way and then it would take off. This happened for several miles and then went back to normal. This happened again on wed. Dec. 21, 2011. The gas pedal again was not responding when pressed and I could sense that the response of the gas pedal to the speed of vehicle was not working properly. I took to Nissan dealer the first time and they could not detect any problem and gave me no reason why this might be happening. I feel this is dangerous to the occupants of this auto and others on the road should the speed of vehicle suddenly change and loss of control occur.

- Maryville, TN, USA

Aug 012006

Murano 6-cyl

2004 Nissan Murano will not accelerate intermittently when depressing the gas pedal. It then leaps/races forward. I will be at stop signs/lights and will not be able to accelerate out of traffic.

- Westminster, MD, USA

Sep 252008

Murano

I own a Nissan Murano and in May 08 driving on the freeway and without any warning we had a sudden loss of power. We managed to pull over, stopped the engine and restarted it. Check engine light came on but we were going out of town and car drove fine and check engine light went off. We had the same problem on 9/6/08 and took the car to Nissan dealership. They claim it was a wiring problem to the throttle connection and repaired it and assured me they had fixed the problem. Driving home on an extremely busy freeway in rush hour it happened again, today 9/25 and this time the car behind me had to swerve to avoid me but I was near my exit and cruised to a stop. I was quite shaken. I turned the car off and it started again and immediately drove it to the dealership. They still have it and are checking it. This is an extremely dangerous situation. I have called Nissan and they apparently do not have any complaints and also the dealership has not heard of this which is quite surprising as literally hundreds of complaints regarding the Murano for same problem on websites. My complaint is that the 2004 Nissan Murano (less than 37,000 miles) is extremely dangerous to drive and Nissan knows there is a problem and they are ignoring it. We have been lucky that we were not rear-ended at high speeds where someone could have been killed. I am waiting to hear back from Nissan but the fact that the dealership has not heard of this problem is amazing, just type in Nissan Murano sudden loss of acceleration and you will see. Not sure if anything can be done, but I want my complaint documentation in case someone dies due to this problem.

- Santa Maria, CA, USA

Nov 092006

Murano 6-cyl

: the contact stated while traveling 25 mph on dry normal road conditions, the vehicle stalled, and was able to be restarted. The vehicle stalled again, after traveling 10 yards. It was towed to the dealership, who performed a diagnostic, and determined that the alternator needed to be replaced. The check engine and battery light were illuminated prior to the incident. The stalling recurred a year later on 07/17/06 while traveling 30 mph. The check engine light was illuminated prior to the incident. The vehicle was restarted and driven to another dealership, who replaced the throttle meter. This corrected the problem. On 10/24/06, the problem recurred while traveling 30 mph, and was towed to another dealership, who could not service the vehicle due to lack of parts needed for the diagnostic. The vehicle was towed to another dealership, who determined the automatic transmission was defective, and was replaced. This remedied the problem. The contact wrote a complaint letter to the manufacturer and dealer on 10/29/06, but had yet to receive a response. Updated 12/28/2006 -

- New Carrollton, MD, USA

Oct 232006

Murano 6-cyl

On Oct. 23, 2006 I put my 2004 Nissan Murano into drive gear with my foot on the brake pedal. The car took off at a high speed without me changing my foot to the accelerator pedal. I pushed on the brake pedal but the car did not stop accelerating. As a result of not being able to stop or control the vehicle I went through a neighbors garage and hit the back cinderblock foundation wall which stopped the car.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Oct 312005

Murano 6-cyl

While driving, brake warning lamp suddenly came on. Accelerator stopped responding. Then eventually, the engine died.

- Norwalk, CA, USA