1.9

2005 Nissan Murano drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Murano:

2005 Nissan Murano Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 092011

Murano

Car would not drive when in drive and now the transfer case is out

- Shawnee, KS, USA

Dec 092010

Murano

Rear differential on Nissan Murano with 87K miles just blew up as we were driving on the highway. The car had been to a body shop for a new bumper, oil change, and new tires within the last month, and none of these experts noticed any issues with leaking fluid etc. The Nissan service center told us the fluid was completely gone (way before it ever should have been an issue). This vehicle does not have a hitch and has only been used for urban/highway use. When the differential blew up, it destroyed both rear axles, which could have caused us to have an accident. Best case scenario, it only costs us $4000 to fix.

- Graham, NC, USA

Aug 112010

Murano 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Nissan Murano with approximately 73,000 miles on it. Approximately 6000 miles ago, I had to replace the transfer case which cost $3600 to replace. Nissan did not cover it while the dealership repair manager did say it was defective and not my fault. In fact, my car repair person has said it is 1/5th the size of a transfer case of a Jeep Cherokee, a car the same size of my Murano. Therefore, it is a design defect. The cvt now is needing repair. And, possibly the transfer case will be needing replacement as well. Not a well built car, in my opinion.

- Leawood, KS, USA

May 222010

Murano

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Murano. The contact stated that while attempting to accelerate from a traffic stop, the vehicle would not accelerate. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed the power train control module would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 84,000.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Feb 042009

Murano

We went out and started the car on Wednesday night of last week and a very loud vibrating sound could be heard from the engine compartment. Due to the tight quarters in the engine compartment and very cold temperatures, I was not able to investigate very much. It was obvious the noise occurred only under loads. Nissan investigated the following day and informed us the idler pulley bracket had a crack and as a result it tore into the belts. Nissan stated it needed to be fixed because it is extremely dangerous to drive with the bracket being cracked. Both the bracket and belts needed replacement asap ($400). The car has an existing powertrain and bumper to bumper warranty, neither of which covered this. In addition, Nissan said this happens once and awhile so I looked the issue up online and found many complaints. In addition, it appears this fail results more often in cars that had the alternator recall repaired and in doing that repair, this bracket is either damaged or torqued too tightly back in place. Had this piece completely broken while driving, we could have had a serious accident. Nissan should replace these brackets considering they claim it "does occur", it "can't be driven safely" with it being cracked. There is no reason a bracket like this should fail, especially after only 4 years and 36,000 miles.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Feb 112006

Murano 6-cyl

43 degrees, 5 pm, 1561 miles, 2005 Nissan Murano sl I start vehicle, back up, pull out of driveway, car will not accelerate. Max speed obtainable 20 mph, very, very slow to get any speed. Engine will rev to 2500 RPM, when floored, no acceleration, return home. Service engine soon light on slip off light on vehicle dynamic control light on park vehicle and and try restarting several times, car starts ok, above three lights come on each time. Do not try to drive again that day. Sat. Evening, no dealer open. Try again Sunday, 55 degrees, starts ok and only ses light comes on, drives, ok call jeff smith Nissan warner robins ga on Monday. Says bring car in. Dealer states car is in "limp mode". they keep a week. Findings: Dtc code U1000 can comm circuit, C1132 ABS check ABS-ok techline ref #755136 apply tsb ntb06-009 dated Feb 8, 2006 seems ok, now. I shudder to think what would have happened if if I had been pulling out in traffic.

- Byron, GA, USA

Aug 052005

Murano 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Nissan Murano which is two wheel drive with the ctv transmission. We were coming back from vacation from Colorado when the problem started. Several times during the trip when we were coming down a hill with the cruise control on the car would try to maintain the selected speed however if the hill was a little to big it would turn off the cruise control it self. We were just South of san antonio the last time that it had turned off the the cruise. The problem was when it turned off the cruise it also disabled the transmission. It was rather scary as we were driving in rush hour traffic when it did it. We were coming down a hill when the cruise turned it self off and in the process the car started to slow down and we were in the middle lane. All we could do was turn on the right turn signal and hope no one would hit us. Once we had gotten to the shoulder and stopped I had realized the engine was still running but the transmission wouldn't respond. I had put it in park and back into drive but the car wouldn't respond. I figured if I shut the engine off and restarted it that maybe it would reset whatever was wrong. I restarted the engine and the whole dash lit up. One by one the lights had gone out except the "service the engine soon" light. However the transmission worked and has worked since. By the time we had gotten home and gotten an appointment to take it in to a Nissan dealer the light had gone out. We had taken it to the charlie clark Nissan in harlingen Texas and they had it for two days and never had a problem with it. The reason they didn't have a problem is that we have no hills as we live in the valley and there are no hills here. They said that they had checked everything that could cause the problem and everything was to specification. So nothing was adjusted, or replaced so as far as I'm concerned the problem is still there and the next time we get into the hill country it will probably act up again.

- Harlingen, TX, USA