1.8

2006 Nissan Murano drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Murano:

2006 Nissan Murano Owner Comments

Mar 022016

Murano

Transmition will not shift gears. According to Nissan dealer vehicle needs transimition replaced. Nissan Corp. Will not admit problem. They claim it is my responsibility to replace transmition at my expense.

- Salem, WI, USA

Oct 112014

Murano 6-cyl

Driving about 20 mph when I heard a big bang. Thought my tire blew out. Then the car started to make a continuous flapping sound. At one point it made my transmission shift, to the point that it made the car jump like if I got hit my a car in the rear. Had to tow my car to the nearest mechanic to find out it was my transfer case.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jul 242014

Murano 6-cyl

I am adding to a growing complaint with in Nissan Murano owners that my transfer case now needs repairs (the seals are leaking) at 92000 miles. Luckily I am not experiencing power failures. The total cost of repairs are estimated at $2000. I am demanding a recall and full replacement of the part with a test quality part for my safety an all those driving Nissan Murano's.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Feb 202014

Murano 6-cyl

The vehicle began to sputter and then had loss of power. Transfer case assembly and cvt are damaged.

- Defuniak Springs, FL, USA

May 092014

Murano 6-cyl

During my drive while exiting off the highway. The vehicle jumped/sped up on its own as if I accelerated. Felt like a transmission slip. While approaching my exit, car just died out. I was able to steer off and put on my emergency hazard flashers. I tried to start the car, and it just cranked. I waited approx. Ten minutes and I was able to continue slowly until the car died out again. Experienced some hesitation along the drive home and with no warning, just a check engine light illuminating, the car died again.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jun 032013

Murano 6-cyl

Continuously variable transmission (cvt) manufacturer defect. Driver and passenger safety hazard. Vehicle unpredictably looses power and decelerates. Abrupt, uncontrolled loss of power presents a significant crash potential. Driver is challenged to maintain control of the vehicle and safely maneuver and negotiate traffic, particularly at highway speeds. This transmission defect has been widely reported by Nissan Murano owners.

- Forest Hill, MD, USA

Jan 102014

Murano 6-cyl

I've had a problem as described many times by fellow Murano owners. After driving at freeway speeds and then slowing way down for traffic or when exiting the freeway the throttle becomes very unresponsive. It lags and then surges. This problem was apparent during the summer months last year. This also occurs occasionally in city traffic, when I am slowing to a stop near a traffic light. (fail safe mode?) recycling the ignition fixes the problem, at least for the short term. I have read that this may be a result of the pressure sensor in the transmission. This problem began two years ago as far as I can remember, but the Nissan dealer that services my car has not informed me that they have detected any problem other than the transfer case seals are beginning to give out and will need to be replaced soon.

- Denver, CO, USA

Sep 242013

Murano 6-cyl

Bought the car, used in 2009. For at least two years chargers in car did not work. Within last six months fuel gauge became inaccurate. There was another incident where the car just stopped, will look for details. But 9/24/13 driving up a hill, car came out of gear and stopped working. The part that was ultimately replaced was the instrument panel-part number 24820-cc20A. Apparently, panel was not communicating with transmission properly. Dealer charged us $1150 to replace. Neither service manager or service coordinator has seen one which needed to be replaced. Nissan accepts no responsibility. Yes, internet full of comments about issues with transmission and instrument panel. These failures appear to be the result of faulty soldering or welding of connections.

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Sep 102013

Murano 6-cyl

I was driving home from my sons school in afternoon rush hour traffic when there was a very loud cracking sound and the car was jerking uncontrollably. I had to slow down to 10 miles an hour in a 45 zone to control the vehicle into safe haven. In my research this is a defect of the cvt transmission for Nissan and I am concerned for the safety of someone who is less experienced or in an even more unsafe environment when this happens to them!

- Thornton, CO, USA

Aug 102013

Murano 6-cyl

I tried to park my car in a parking. It would not go into park; it would go no further than neutral gear. As a result, because I could not go into reverse I had to drive over a median to exit the parking lot. I subsequently discovered that transmission problems are endemic with this make and model. Why have you not ordered Nissan to issue a recall?

- Beverly, NJ, USA

Dec 102012

Murano 6-cyl

On 12/10/12 I was driving about 15mph when all of a sudden my vehicle started making loud clunking noises, brought the vehicle to my mechanic who inspected it and said they believed that it was an issue with the transfer case or transmission which should have been covered under the extended warranty. Nissan is saying that the transfer case has no warranty even though they know that it fails. When asked why it failed the technician told me that Nissan doesn't allow them to diagnose the failure just to replace it but unfortunately at my cost of $3500 why should I be responsible for this if they know its an issue and can not guaranty that it won't fail again! I can not afford not should I have to pay for Nissan failure! this is a wide spread issue and Nissan needs to make this right with the consumer.

- Westfield, MA, USA

Nov 152012

Murano 6-cyl

Transfer case broke down 3 days after used purchase. Warranty would not cover it, because they claimed it was a pre-existing condition.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Sep 292012

Murano 6-cyl

Hesitation upon acceleration in heavy traffic, after any stop acceleration is slow and then suddenly accelerates rapidly. Also shakes while idling.

- Colorado Springs , CO, USA

Aug 132012

Murano

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Murano. The contact stated that while reversing from a residential driveway, the vehicle started to jerk and then could not be moved. The contact then noticed that transmission fluid was draining out of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a personal mechanic who informed the contact that a hose from the transmission had become brittle and cracked. The manufacturer was notified but provided no assistance. The vehicle was repaired. The contact also reported that there two clamps on the exhaust system that were rusted and fell off of the vehicle. The failure and current mileages were 51,100.

- Suffern, NY, USA

Jul 022012

Murano 6-cyl

After coming to a complete stop, vehicle will intermittently not accelerate when stepping on the gas. Period/duration of non-acceleration is not predictable, nor can you depend on being able to get out of the way of an oncoming vehicle should you be in the process of making a left-hand turn. This is a severe safety hazard.

- Berlin, MA, USA

May 132012

Murano 6-cyl

Vehicle has problems with accelation between 40mph and over. Was told it that the cvt tranmission was bad and had transmission replace and now just after picking up vehicle and driving home, vehicle is still having the same problem.

- Crofton, NE, USA

Aug 312011

Murano 6-cyl

A few days before Aug 31st the Murano started slipping gears. It was taken to a dealership on Aug 31st where the error code, stepper code, came up which is part of the cvt, the transmission. They replaced the transmission, under extended warranty and this did not fix the problem. They replaced the valve body again, the control module, and the wire harness, none of which has fixed the problem. We are 10 weeks in the shop and they cannot find the problem. A Nissan engineer is now coming out to look at it wanting to replace the valve body for the third time. They have replaced this now going on three times with new parts and it is not fixing the problem. This car is not a safe car to drive anymore. The dealership told me last week that we would have resolution, whether this was a buyback or whatever by last Friday. Last Friday they called and now they are now flying in an engineer, this is not a resolution. I do not feel safe driving this vehicle especially with two small children. The vehicle has been in the shop for going on 10 weeks now and I feel the dealership and Nissan are doing everything they can not to resolve the problem. This needs to be taken care of.

- Shenandoah, IA, USA

Jan 012011

Murano

2006 Murano like to act like a Toyota hold brake will not stop two times ran wife through stop light.

- Lancaster, KY, USA

Jan 032009

Murano

I drive a 2005 Nissan Murano sl. The vehicle periodically does not safely accelerate while in busy traffic. I had my wife, 2 year old daughter, and 5 year old daughter in the car at the time of making a left turn at a major intersection. The vehicle sluggishly stalled in the middle of the left turn at the intersection and temporarily stalled and could have caused us to be hit by oncoming traffic. The engine revved up to about 4000 RPM's then proceeding to accelerate. I see this problem as a major safety and health issue and can be the root cause of a major accident resulting in death to involved parties. Please be proactive as opposed to reactive and start the process for a recall of this defective vehicle.

- Whitehouse, TX, USA