2.7

2006 Nissan Murano steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Murano:

2006 Nissan Murano Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 112015

Murano

Upon starting cold engine a loud tapping or rattling sound heard coming from front of car. Sound increases when accelerating until reaching 40 to 45 mph - then it almost disappears. Once engine is warm sound is barely noticeable. It also takes a lot of strength to turn the steering wheel left, ex: When backing out of the driveway into the street, or when turning left into a driveway or a parking space. It feels like there is no power steering. Slight left turns are normal as are all right turns. Vehicle is going into dealer Tuesday which is their first opening. I will update this once it is determined what is causing the problem /problems.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Apr 092014

Murano 6-cyl

I have replaced the wheel bearing twice in one yr, the pinion has been repaired as well.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Dec 082014

Murano 6-cyl

I had my vehicle towed to a local Nissan dealership to get a key made for it, since I had lost the key. The vehicle was in operation up to date. After getting a key made by the dealership, the key will not turn in the ignition for it is locked. The dealership told me that I now need to purchase a steering lock to get it fixed. The Murano I purchased was from a used dealership and I was unaware of any recalls and did not receive any letter to date for the recall on the steering lock since I have had it. There was a recall done on the Nissan Murano's in the 2006 date range for this same reason. I would like it to be fixed free of charge since I did not break it to begin with.

- Jesup, GA, USA

Nov 252013

Murano

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Murano. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for routine service when the contact was informed that the power steering hose was leaking. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 48000.

- Clifton, NJ, USA

Jul 222013

Murano

Currently have to replace the power steering hose. Massive leak and using a bottle of power steering fluid every couple days. I have read and reviewed a minimum of 100 complaints of the exact same problem but Nissan refuses to do a recall on this matter. I did not have any problems until my power steering quit working well on the highway going 55mph during a rain storm. I was very close to going in the ditch. This is not a $50 fix but a $450 fix and a problem that should not be occuring. I would be fine if it was a clamp that came lose or a bearing was leaking but for 100's of high pressure power steering lines to be faulty is a factory malfunction and should be recalled. Thank you

- St. John's, AK, USA

Jun 122012

Murano 6-cyl

My power steering pump has malfunctioned and the hose has a hole in it. The leak has cause a belt to pop while I was driving. I did not know what happened until the truck battery killed over and a mechanic helped me while the vehicle disabled. I also know of three other Nissan Murano owners who have had the same problem. Two of them have paid a large amout to fix this problem and the other traded in the vehicle because of the problem. This is a defect with Murano and I googled this issue and noticed that this is a common problem with this vehicle.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 052012

Murano 6-cyl

Upon starting vehicle in a.M., I heard a loud whine emanate from engine compartment. The sound was exactly like brittle leaves from a tree were rubbing on the moving belts. I turned steering wheel left and right and steering sensation seemed sporadic and irregular. I opened the hood and checked serpentine belt and power steering belt. I thought the belts may be glazed or have loosened or had a foreign object touching them. All looked okay but the noise remained. That afternoon I called my mechanic and made appt. My mechanic checked vehicle, added power steering fluid as he found there was a leak in the power steering pressure hose and said he would order a new unit and install as soon as possible. He said this is an extremely common part to fail on these Muranos. Within a few days the repair was complete, however it set me back four hundred dollars. I called Nissan at 1-800- nissan1. The agent on behalf of Nissan refused to accept responsibility, however did make a case number. I stated someone will be seriously injured or killed one day, but was met with the obligatory "we are not responsible". I called the dealer where I purchased the Murano and was told Nissan is well aware of the numerous failures of this power steering pressure hose, and it is extremely common. Since there is no recall, there is nothing that could be done to assist me.

- Stamford, CT, USA

Jul 182012

Murano

I noticed power steering fluid on the ground and noticed that the power steering reservoir was low. I put the car on jackstands and confirmed that the power steering high pressure line was leaking. This is an extremely dangerous situation since the fluid is combustible and I observed the steering fluid on the catalytic converter and exhaust pipe. I fixed the hose myself and saved almost $450 but Nissan should address this defect before somebody is killed in a fire. After reading the Nissan forums online it looks like Nissan has made no attempt to correct this dangerous defect.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Jun 252012

Murano

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Murano. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the power steering failed. The contact stated that she attempted to turn, but she heard a loud noise and the steering wheel became very difficult to turn. The contact maneuvered the vehicle to the side of the road and stopped. The contact then looked under the hood and noticed that the power steering fluid was low. The contact took the vehicle to a mechanic and was informed that there was a leakage in the power steering link. The vehicle was not repaired. The dealer was notified and stated that they never heard of such failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 37,521.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 102012

Murano 6-cyl

The high pressure power steering hose and sensor assembly basically blew out of this lovingly used Nissan Murano. This caused a power steering "whine" when turning and made turning difficult and unsafe. Further due to the nature of the blow out vice slow break it happened quickly and immediately impacted the amount of power steering fluid available to the system. Naturally, as there was no extended warranty, Nissan would not cover cost nor consider a reduction in repair/replacement fees. This is a big-time historical problem with this particular make and year of this Nissan. Local dealerships say that they replace about two of these per week on average, and the internet is filled with similar stories of repairs costing in excess of $600. This repair cost me a total of $650 dollars and a real lack of confidence in the quality of the Nissan product and customer service.

- Grovetown, GA, USA

Aug 182010

Murano 6-cyl

Replace high pressure power steering line I looked online and this seems to be a highly problem will all Nissan Murano I know more than 6 people had this problem with different year Murano. Not covered under regular warranty

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Oct 012011

Murano 6-cyl

Power steering pressure hose leaking, myst be replaced.

- Kingsburg, CA, USA

Sep 062011

Murano 6-cyl

High pressure power steering hose failure rupture.

- Crystal Lake, IL, USA

Aug 202011

Murano 6-cyl

2006 Nissan Murano with approximately 57,000 miles on it. Very difficult to move the steering wheel while noise coming from under the hood. I noticed the power steering reservoir was low and refilled it. Leakage identified by stain on parking. Dealer determined that cause of the leak is a failure of the high pressure line for the power steering pump. Service advisor at the dealership told me this is a very common case. Dealer charged $550 to install a new hose. Nissan refuse to reimburse it. Numerous failures of this part are documented on web forums, NHTSA site, as well as being common knowledge among the mechanics network. I wonder if it is not a manufacturing/material problem of the part. Concern is that total failure can cause a surprise loss of steering resulting in a crash and/ or cause a fire cause is very close to the engine. This should be a recall issue asap.

- Aventura, FL, USA

Aug 082011

Murano 6-cyl

Power steering problems with Nissan the Murano. There are loads of complaints for this problem and Nissan has done nothing to resolve the problems which could result in killing someone.I was traveling at a high rate of speed when the problem occurred.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Jun 242010

Murano

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Murano. The contact stated that the vehicle was parked when he noticed fluid leaking from underneath. While replacing the power steering fluid, the contact noticed that the fluid was leaking from a hose. An authorized dealer was notified and the contact was informed that the power steering hose would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, but offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 75,000.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 212010

Murano

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Murano. The contact stated that there was an unknown fluid observed leaking from the vehicle. In addition, the steering would intermittently become difficult without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they advised that the high pressure hose had begun leaking and had caused the failure. The dealer advised that there were no recalls pertaining to the failure. The failure mileage was 49,876 and the current mileage was 52,500. Updated 03/15/11 updated 1/3/11

- Grand Junction, CO, USA

Dec 202010

Murano

I have a 2006 Nissan Murano. In December of 2010 I noticed the power steering reservoir was as low, and refilled it. Three days later a noticed a leak under the car where I parked, and the power steering reservoir was empty again. Since then I have found out the high pressure hose to the power steering needs to be replaced. The car has only 52,000 miles on it. I did some investigation on the internet and found this a common problem for this car. I believe this should be a recall issue for Nissan.

- San Diego , CA, USA

Jun 032009

Murano

In May 2009, I purchased a used 2006 Nissan Murano from carmax, I check the vehicle for any leak signs and none were notice, the vehicle had 27000 miles at the time of purchase, less than two months later while driving from orlando Florida, while driving at 70 miles per hour, I notice a noise and a little problem with the steering wheel, I pulled over, opened the hood and notice that the steering fluid was almost gone, I added power steering fluid and made it home, after researching the web I notice that I was not the only one with this kind of problems, after that I visited a Nissan dealer, and my surprise was that they already know the part number for this issue, and asked the desk personel about it, and they said that so many people looked for the same part so many time that they already know it by heart. It cost me almost 500 dollar to have this problem repair at the dealer.there should be a recall for this item, it is defective from day one.

- Davie, FL, USA

Oct 292010

Murano 6-cyl

2006 Nissan Murano with approximately 76,000 miles on it. Power steering leakage identified by stain on driveway, as well as noise coming from under the hood. Dealer determined that cause of the leak is a failure of the high pressure line for the power steering pump. Dealer charged $750 to install a new hose. This has to be the most expensive hose on any car. Concern is that total failure can cause a surprise loss of steering resulting in a crash. This should be a recall issue.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA