2009 Nissan Murano drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Murano:

2009 Nissan Murano Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 092016

Car stopped suddenly while driving at highway speed. Turned out to be a transfer case problem where the transfer case seeped fluid with out indication until it ran dry. This is a known mfg defect of the Murano yet there has been no corrective action by Nissan and the repair is $3500. We are lucky there was no accident in this case.

- Centreville, VA, USA

Jun 152016

My 2009 Nissan Murano le has 117K miles. I had extended warranty which expired at 100K miles & 7 months ago. The transfer case is leaking & Nissan informed me it needs to be completely replaced costing me $3350. The transfer case seals have been replaced twice before on this vehicle at 30K miles and 75K miles. Upon doing research, the transfer case appears to be a very common problem with Nissan. I was also informed by a Nissan ace certified tech that the faulty transfer case is a factory defect, and there were revisions made on the transfer case on March 24, 2014; therefore, the newer, revised transfer case "should not" fail again. Well, after unsuccessful negotiations with the local Nissan service department, I contacted Consumer Affairs to request a partial good-will payment (at least pay for the parts since it's such a common issue and a design defect and I'll pay for the labor), but they have refused. This leaves consumers with defected products which will end up costing consumers thousands of dollars because Nissan refuses to stand behind their products. What a dishonest way to do business.

- Lacey, WA, USA

Oct 012015

It does not accelerate from a stop very well. Sometimes I try to pull into traffic and cannot accelerate fast enough and feel terribly frightened that I will be hit from behind as a result. It seems to be worse when going uphill. After 5 seconds maybe it kicks in and begins accelerating. This is an extremely dangerous problem. I feel like it will cause an accident.

- Nashua, NH, USA

May 182016

Getting rumbling noise when vehicle is running on low gears. Happening from last 3 years. Online found other complaining the same problem.

- Fountain Valley, CA, USA

Jun 122015

Nissan dealer told me that "transfer case has a heavy seep" which will cost $1270 to fix. I see on the internet that the transfer case on the Nissan Murano is a huge problem which should result in a recall. I which to add my complaint to those already submitted.

- Estes Park, CO, USA

May 012015

The transfer case is leaking fluid.

- Brockton, MA, USA

Mar 232015

My vehicle was exhibiting a burnt rubber smell from the engine compartment. I opened the hood and saw like smoke coming from the rear passenger side of the engine compartment. I took my vehicle to the dealer for service and noted this incident on the work order. The service technician later informed me that the transfer case was leaking fluid and was blowing onto the exhaust pipe and under carriage. They said that is what caused the burnt rubber smell, not a drive belt. The warranty for this component expired at 60,000 miles. I was charged approx. $1700 for this repair before discounts. I asked the service technician if this is a common repair, he said, "yes, we do a lot of these." I told him that I was not satisfied with this repair to the point that it appears to be a reliability issue. Using the fmea approach - severity is high to the fact that without gear fluid the transfer case will cease and cause catastrophic failure. This type of failure is not detectable from the perspective of normal user maintenance. The fluid can only be checked by a mechanic from the underside of the vehicle and not from the top of the engine compartment (I.e. dipstick). Occurrence or frequency appears to be common per the service technician's comments. I am requesting that the NHTSA investigate this issue. I suspect other customers have been impacted by this know defect (bad seal).

- Layton, UT, USA

Apr 102015

Murano 6-cyl

I was told by the dealership that my 2009 Nissan Murano has a bad leak in the transfer case, and that it will take 15 hours of labor to fix a $130 gasket. After reading the complaint forums for Nissan Murano, I have learned this is a very common problem with Muranos. I have contacted Nissan to cover the repair work as this is a known and common issue with their Muranos, and my vehicle is now off warranty. They refused to assist, stating that they are unaware of any such issues with the Murano. They are in complete denial. Why isn't this a recall if it is such a wide-spread problem?

- Hamel, MN, USA

Mar 292015

Murano 6-cyl

The car was stalled at 70 miles/hour. The engine was running but it was not engaging any gears neither drive/lift nor reverse. No check engine light indication was lit up. I was lucky to pull over safely on the right shoulder from middle land on interstate.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 102015

Murano 6-cyl

Failure with 2009 Nissan Murano transfer case after 60,000 miles seems to be a big problem and Nissan is not taking responsibility, causing the customer thousands of dollars for repairs, seems that their is a defect, where you hear a humming noise coming from your front passenger side tire and no check engine light to alert you some thing is wrong until you shows up at a dealer ship to check out the noise and get bang for $3000, this a con game Nissan is using to ripoff hard american working people, this con game need to be investigated, since their are so many complaints from Murano owners about this existing problem.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jun 042014

Murano 6-cyl

Driving on freeway, car had difficulty maintaining speed on incline. After I exited the freeway and came to a stop, I was unable to get the car above 20 mph. I was able to drive to aamco. Cost of transmission replacement was $3500. Later I learned from a kind Nissan service manager that my transmission had an extended warranty and that I should have been able to have it replaced for free. I am angry because Nissan never told me that the vehicle had an extended warranty on the transmission despite: 1. I had it serviced at the Nissan dealer the day before the transmission failed. 2. the dealer did a 20 point inspection but omitted checking the box for a transmission inspection. 3. I spoke to the Nissan parts department and gave them my VIN number to find out the cost of the transmission. 4. the Nissan customer service representative told me that Nissan will not notify vehicle owners of the transmission unless the vehicle is brought to Nissan for service - no mail, no email, no verbal even if the customer calls to complain about the transmission.

- Lebanon, NJ, USA

Nov 052014

Murano 6-cyl

In stop and go traffic, the air conditioner had the sweet smell of maple syrup and a few minutes later the check engine light came on. Within seconds, the car stuttered each time I attempted to accelerate. Once out of traffic, I looked and saw a large amount of coolant dripping from the car. The car was towed to the dealer who confirmed coolant built up pressure in radiator, hoses and transmission. Cvt transmission is flooded with coolant and water, radiator and all hoses will need replacement.

- El Segundo, CA, USA

Oct 312014

Was driving along, and heard a loud knocking sound. Thought it was the transmission, so I took it in to a dealership, and they said I had a cracked transfer case. Nissan extended the warranty for there transmissions, but not for their there transfer case. My vehicle could have seized at any moment when I was driving. It sounds like there are allot of Nissan Muranos that have this same issue.

- Nibley, UT, USA

Sep 252014

Dealer says my car is leaking oil from the oil transfer case. I have not had any evidence in my driveway of any oil leak. This is the first time I heard of it, but even the repairman at the dealership says Nissan knows it's a defective part. Now I see on line plenty of information on this. Why wasn't this a recall issue" how many folks can afford $3500 for a repair that is not covered under warranty" I can't.

- Bay Shore, NY, USA

Aug 132014

Murano 6-cyl

While my husband was driving the vehicle into work, started out driving normal. Then about 6 miles from home it all of a sudden started a jerking motion and then the vehicle came to a complete stop. He was able to get the vehicle off the road. Had the car towed to a Nissan dealer thinking it was the transmission which would have been covered under the extended warranty. Was contacted this morning and told it was the transfer case which is not covered under the warranty for the cvt transmission which is going to cost us $3600 to have repaired along with the $125 to get it towed to the dealer. We have had this vehicle for only 4 months. Considering how much these vehicles cost they should not be falling apart this quickly! I believe if they are willing to extend the warranty for the cvt transmission they should be willing to take care of any parts that could be affected by it.

- Coalport, PA, USA

Jun 302014

Murano 6-cyl

Purchased a 2009 Nissan Murano. Has only 72,000 miles and is only 5 years old. According to the local Nissan dealer, the transfer case apparently went bad and is not covered under the extended cvt warranty. Instead, they quoted me a price of over $3,000 and no guarantee that the repair will even fix the problem. My complaint stems from a great deal of research that shows Nissan is familiar with the problem, that the transfer case design is flawed, and yet they refuse to recall the item. The problem appears so prevalent, that I am having trouble even locating a transfer case to replace it with. As a single father of three (3) boys, I do not have the resources for this repair, especially given that I attempted to purchase a relatively new vehicle to avoid having to make such costly repairs. I would hope your organization would step in on behalf of the american consumer for what is, in essence, the repetitive extortion of Murano purchasers and not wait until the untimely death of a Murano driver and, god forbid, its passengers...

- Lakewood, NY, USA

Mar 242014

Murano 6-cyl

New vehicle was bought September 2009. On 04/26/2011, East charlotte Nissan's mechanics changed transfer case because leaking. Vehicle had 29,505 miles. On March 24, 2014, ecn's assistant service manager said it is necessary to change transfer case and gasket because leaking. Vehicle had aprox 70,000 miles. After owner requested help to nc consumer protection, ecn's general manager replied neither of those leaks would be considered abnormal since repair was nearly three years and vehicle was driven 50,000 miles. Also, he states that owner because his financial situation wants to get vehicle fixed at no cost and that is dishonest and unethical. Owner never tried to get a free repair. He only would like to know: Why transfer case and gasket should be changed every three years because leaking? however, the first time they were changed happened after one year and seven months and with less than 30,000 miles.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

May 242014

Murano 6-cyl

Car was making light clicking sounds started driving before getting up to speed car made a popping sound and jerked not allowing me to continue driving. Car will start moving fine for a few feet then will continue.... per auto repair part is called transfer case $3000+ repair according to a complaint web site this issue is common in Murano's.

- Rocky Mount, NC, USA

Mar 072014

I took my car in for an oil change and was informed that it needed a new seal on the transfer case. If I did not do this the car would lock up and not move. The repair cost would be 1500 to 3800 dollars. It seems that Nissan has a history with its power trains and should not expect a customer to repair it and be told that it just happens and will again with such minimal mileage. I heard a few other customers being told that they also had major repairs that were needed when going in for routine maintenance. It does appear that dealerships have a way to extort large sums of money from people in a struggling economy!

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jan 082014

Purchase a 2009 Nissan Murano was told it had a branded title from carfax. Called 1800nissan 1 before I purchase the vehicle and asked them to run the VIN number and the lady was able to tell me the whole history but said they had no record that it was a factory buyback said probably a mistake with the state who titled the car. Transmission went out which is still covered by Nissan and they said they will not cover it because the car was branded and admitted to me on a recorded line the person I talked to gave me false information. All she could say was sorry there is nothing Nissan will do for me. I learned the car was bought back because of the airbags and with two small children I would have never purchase this vehile knowing that. Nissan does not want to assist me in any way. Ive worked in the car industry for 16 years and I made sure to call to find out what issues that vehicle had and bought it becuase the rep I talked to at Nissan said there was no record it was ever purchased back or never told me it had airbag problem. The lady admitted her rep told me wrong info and all I can get is sorry and now im going to be out $3800 for a new transmission. Its wrong and Nissan need to do something better then sorry for me. If I had this information from Nissan when I called would have never purchased this car. Please help me any way you can thanks.

- Houston, TX, USA