2009 Nissan Murano electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Murano:

2009 Nissan Murano Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 012013

Radio volume and tuning controls malfunction not allowing accurate control of volume. Trying to adjust the volume sometimes results in the volume level going to maximum volume on its own, startling the driver and causing a distraction while trying to readjust the volume to normal. This causes distracted driving and possible hearing damage. This happens any time the radio is on. It has happened while driving on Suburban streets, on the highway and on city streets. It has happened multiple times over the past 2-3 years.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jul 022016

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Murano. The contact stated that the electrical system failed. The ignition switch emitted a beeping sound while starting the engine, and the beeping sound also emitted while closing the driver's door. The contact also stated that the air conditioning system was defective and emitted hot air. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who performed diagnostic testing and stated that the electrical system was defective. The contact also took the vehicle to a specialized electrical mechanic who confirmed that the electrical system was defective; however; it was not specified where the electrical failure initiated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 73,000.

- Lumberton, TX, USA

Mar 262016

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Murano. While the vehicle was being inspected, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the osc sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 08V521000 (air bags, electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Feb 012013

Radio (and) climate system) knobs do not work properly. Radio sometimes goes to full volume without any human intervention startling the driver and diverting attention from the road to try to control the radio volume. This happens at random times while driving on all kinds of roads at various times. Date listed below is not accurate. This is a continuous and ongoing problem. It happens at random times and dates. It started sometime in 2013 or 2014.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 102016

1-10-2016 between 7:00 and 7:30 I was on my way home, car in motion on a busy city street. It was dark outside and snowing, thus slick roads. Brake and battery light came on, car began to lose power. Barely moved and very quickly all electrrical components went dead. Stuck in the middle lane at an intersection, I turned on my hazards in fear of being rear ended. My hazards fairly quickly got dimmer and dimmer. Called 911 and asked to have a patrol car park behind me with lights on until my husband could get there to try to jump me. Car would not srart. Windshield wipers were on doing there own thing. Could not shut them off. Eventually they too died. Could not pull over due to heavy traffic and car moved to slow when issue began. Patrol car did come and parked behind me with lights on in order to prevent an accident. Husband came and was able to jump start vehicle. Issue also happened while leaving a parking lot, car in motion. Husband jump started car. Also happened while taking child to school, put car in neutral and accelerated and car then got power back while in motion on city street. Nissan tech said Nissan considers this an inconvenience. I was scared ob being killed. Also, my passenger air bag indicator light is on stating it is off. Has been on since issue began. Taking to shop to be repaired today, believe the issue is the alternator but not 100% sure. Will keep all receipts and other records obtained.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Aug 182015

Takata recall, airbag on passager side indcator light on, tire light and tire slow leak

- Dorchester, MA, USA

Nov 122015

I was running 40 mph when I saw the "brake" and "battery" indicator lights appear. After less than 1/2 mile and while turning right to enter the freeway entrance, the car just stopped running despite pressing on the gas pedal. I tried turning on the ignition again but nothing happened. I turned on the hazard lights but even they stopped working after a few minutes. I was situated right where cars would turn to get to the freeway entrance. It was obviously an unsafe place for my car to get stalled since cars are turning right and accelerating to go up and to the right to get onto the 680 South freeway (automall entrance). It was actually a good thing that there was some other car that broke down close to my location. Apparently some other driver had called the fremont police and, luckily, 2 police cars were deployed so 1 ended up staying behind my car to kinda block the other cars from hitting mine. The police waited until my husband could get to me and jumpstart my car. It took a couple of tries and after my car started we took it to premier Nissan automall, got a new battery installed, & drove to work. The following day, while running at 60mph on the 680 S freeway, the "brake" & "battery" indicator lights came on again. I was praying to get to my destination as I was so scared that my car would stop again and it was more dangerous this time around as I was on the freeway. Good thing I got to work but, after reading other Murano 09 owners' reports on failing alternators, I knew that this is a safety issue that should be looked into by the NHTSA. The premier Nissan would not even check if the new battery that we bought was charging properly. They said there's a different fee for that. I think this alternator issue is not just for the earlier Muranos but also on the newer models, inluding the 2009 model.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Aug 122014

All four door lock actuators have failed twice on my 2009 Nissan Murano. The first time it happened Nissan recognized that it was a factory issue, but now that it has happened again they do not want to fix it even though it is clearly a serious safety issue. I have researched this and it is happening at a high frequency for other Nissan owners. This should be a recall issue.

- Collierville, TN, USA

Oct 022015

Car will not start and does not turn over. Tried battery, different fob, new fob batteries, rolling vehicle, tries starting in neutral, etc. No results. Feels like steering wheel is not in locked position

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Sep 132015

While driving the automobile made a low buzzing sound and immediately stopped moving. All power was lost. I was not able to steer the automobile, the dashboard lights and radio still on and working. I engaged the accelerator once and the auto accelerated and all power was lost again, this time completely. I had it towed to my regular Nissan dealership for diagnosis and repair. Diagnosis: Battery needs to be replaced. The battery was replaced and I drove the car home and to work the next day. While on my way from work, the exact problem occurred again. I had it towed to autonation Nissan again and as I type this complaint the dealership is trying to arrive at the proper diagnosis. I am all of a sudden in fear for my life, had I been on the expressway (I-95, sr-826, fl turnpike, etc. I could have been killed with these two sudden stops if I had been rear-ended. I am the only driver of this automobile. It is in otherwise excellent condition. I have never had this problem before. Only constant issues with "tire sensors" even though I have had them replaced.

- North Miami Beach, FL, USA

May 132015

The front passenger door locks intermittently. When this happens, the lock does not respond to the lock buttons (either driver side or passenger), key fob, or manual lever creating a dangerous situation in the event of accident. This could create a situation of death by burning.

- Nashua, NH, USA

Jun 052015

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Murano. Upon starting the vehicle, the air bag warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the sensor in the passenger seat needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 121,000.

- Centerville, MS, USA

Nov 062014

Dear sir or madam, in 2009 I bought new Nissan Murano sl 2009 from mossy Nissan dealership in houston, Texas. To finance my purchase, I also bought extended car warranty for 6 years total (to cover another 3 years beyond 3 years of factory warranty). This extended warranty (Nissan security+ plus gold preferred package with >2,000 parts being protected) was advertised as a best available option on the market. All these years since my purchase I took very good care of my car, records are available at mossy Nissan. On 06nov2014 mossy Nissan service center diagnosed internal device failure responsible for airbags deploy and informed me that, to their surprise, this module is not covered by my current warranty. This part is listed as a cushion & adjuster module, part # 873A2-1av2A. Reading from the Nissan tool scanner: ******* B1018 OCS sensor unit failure******** estimated costs for replacement were approximated at 3,500$ out of pocket. I have contacted North America Nissan (1-800-nissan1) and case # 16484480 was filed for investigations. North America Nissan has contacted me back on 17nov2014 and informed me that they cannot offer any help or assistance regarding replacement. Na Nissan also refused to finance amount of 3,500$ over 6-12 months which I agreed to pay in monthly payments. Nissan security+ plus gold preferred package has >2,000 parts being protected including those for fun and entertainment (like radio, cd player, even antenna etc.) but not for the module responsible for life-saving airbags deployment. I have found this unacceptable. The false advertisement of the package is deceptive stating "ultimate in peace of mind protection"…not for essential safety parts though… can you help" can you advise on next reasonable steps" thank you in advance, dmitri davydov cell: 713-875-0777

- Cypress, TX, USA

Mar 242015

The driver side door will not lock manually or with the remote. The passenger side door on the driver side does not lock 75% of the times.

- Lebanon, PA, USA

Mar 182015

Murano 6-cyl

Nissan refuses to recognize a known problem in the Nissan rogue in it's big brother the Nissan Murano. The door actuator solenoid goes out and locks people into or out of their car, where the remote, key, door handle or crowbar cannot open the door causing a potentially fatal safety issue. If a passenger is unable to leave the vehicle in an emergency it could result in fatalities. I brought it to the dealership who offered to break my door panel to assess the issue, a $300+ expense to me, not to mention the labor breaking my door panel. Once they were able to get into my door, they determined it was the actuator solenoid, which is a know rogue service order problem, and told me that would be an additional $575 to replace. I had started a case with Nissan usa corporation regarding this, their response, "we'll see what we can do to help." They did nothing. Disappointing.

- Hopkins, MI, USA

Mar 132015

Murano 6-cyl

Passenger door locked shut. Cannot open from the outside or the inside. Pregnant passenger had to climb over center counsel to get out of the vehicle. Once I googled the issue, the 2008-2009 Nissan rogue & Muranos have this issue, a service order was created for the rogue, but not the Murano.

- Hopkins, MI, USA

Jan 232015

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Murano. While driving at unknown speeds, the rear seat warmers were activated. As a result, a hole was burned through the seats and all the warning lights illuminated. The contact stated that a three year old child was seated in a safety seat at the time of the failure, but there were no injuries reported. A police and a fire report were not filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 51,000.

- Methuen, MA, USA

Jan 182013

Murano 6-cyl

The vehicle has shown problems that were previously recalled including tire monitoring system, passenger air bag warning light remains lit, and rear hatch fails to function. More recently the vehicle fails to start and has strong smell of gas. The fuel pump was replace by a certified mechanic but the problem persists, failure to start or run. In addition, the battery has drained even after being checked and recharged, clearly an electrical problem. The VIN number search shows no recall notices. Updated 2/10/2016

- Belleville, IL, USA

May 012014

Murano 6-cyl

The issue with my Nissan Murano is the lock actuator beginning to go out. It started in may when the key fob began not working. We started having to unlock the vehicle with the key and then unlock the other doors with the button on the door. This was fine until the lock on the door began to fail. It works occasionally but not all the time. This is my wife's car and we have one child and another on the way, and she will be using this vehicle to Transport two kids while I'm at work. It's a safety issue because during inclement weather my wife can't put our baby on the ground to unlock all the doors after the actuator completely fails. Not only for that reason is it a safety hazard but just because a fire hasn't occurred yet because of this electrical issue doesn't mean that one will not happen. As a father this is something I have to be concerned with.

- New Hope, AL, USA

Jun 292009

Murano 6-cyl

Purchased car new in May 2008. Battery went dead after not being driven in Feb 2009. Jumped battery and discussed with dealer. Was told to disconnect battery if car was not going to be driven for 2 weeks. Did this but battery died again in June 2009. Took car to dealer; they found no problem. Battery died again in March 2010 (mileage 9,208). Dealer put in a new battery. In May 2011, battery died again(mileage 15,527). Had disconnected battery during a vacation, when the car was sitting, and it started upon return but died 3 days later. Went to dealer and they kept car for several days, attempting to find the problem. They disconnected the car alarm, and assured me they would stand by the car if this happened after 3 yr. Warranty expired. Returned from vacation in Oct 2011 and again the battery would not start the car (mileage 17,760). Dealer installed another new battery. June 2014 the car died again after sitting for 3 days. Dealer will not accept problem with car and/or battery and will charge a diagnostic fee to resolve problem. Since they haven't been able to solve problem over the past 5 years, am reluctant to pay them again. Have filed complaint with Nissan customer service. No response to date.

- Escondido, CA, USA