2009 Nissan Murano seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Murano:

2009 Nissan Murano Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 012016

My car was T-bone hit from the passenger side while I was driving at 25 mph on a side road with no passengers (thank god). The party at fault broke a stop sign and resulted in total loss of my car. Only the passenger side air bag deployed and protected no one. Strangely, the driver side air bag did not deploy. As a result I hit the passenger window glass with the side of my head and got a concussion.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Jul 112016

Front passenger seat airbag sensor is constantly going off and flashing on dashboard. Mechanic states that when the light is active the airbag will not deploy in the event of an accident. Nissan has refused to corret this problem even though airbag recalls are on the news daily. My vehicle is unsafe and I am limited to the amount of people or occassions I can use it without fear of a potential accident without proper airbag deployment

- Riverview, FL, USA

Apr 062016

My husband was in dallas getting his passport and some man ran a stop sign hit a police office two other cars and my car that my husband was driving. The passenger airbags did not deploy to help and my father in law who was in the passenger front seat was injured.

- Choctaw, OK, USA

May 132016

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Murano. When the vehicle was started, the air bag light remained illuminated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer where it was diagnosed that the OCS and TPMS sensors needed to be replaced. The dealer also stated that the warranty expired and that there was no recall. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue, but supported the dealer's recommendation. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 88,000. Updated 06/10/16

- Miami, FL, USA

Apr 292016

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Murano. While driving 30 mph, the contact crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed. The driver sustained head and arm injuries that did not require medical attention. The vehicle was driven home. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 146,000. The VIN was not available.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Oct 012013

Takata recall.... my passenger airbag light has been on for about 3 yrs. Now and when it has been hooked up to a computer results always come back the same... error in airbag. Now I've contacted Nissan and they are telling me that even though I may have a takata airbag my VIN # is not on the recall list so therefore they cannot do anything about the problem. I would have to pay out of my own pocket to have it fixed. Now they did tell me that according to their records and with the VIN # that was given to them in Oct 2008 my Murano already had been serviced for passenger side airbag light staying on. So basically what they were saying was that my Murano had already used the one free service check in Oct 2008 for airbag. First of all, my vehicle is an 09, so Nissan already admitted that according to their records and my VIN # that I was already having airbag issues before the vehicle was released to be sold. I purchased it at beginning of 2012 and 2013 is when my airbag light came on. Now I have had it cleared and seems like if it is cold cause I do live in Ohio, but if I clear it today and it's not really cold it may not come on, but as soon as it gets cold it comes right back on. Now there has been times where it has been cleared and as soon as you turn off the engine and start it back up it comes right back on. I also am having issues with TPMS, no matter what tires I buy I am constantly battling the low tire pressure light. It's been taking to tire shops and been checked for slow leaks and leaks around the valve stem, nothing. I have also had to replace the motors in mt steering wheel because both of those went out on me. Now my new issue is my air vents. When the defrost is on certain air vents do not shut off, air still comes through them. And in the winter I feel like there is cold air blowing up through the floor. No issues with 04 Murano

- Cambridge, OH, USA

Mar 082016

The passenger air bag light and the main air bag indicator lights are both on our Murano. We are seeing the exact same issues as in the recall for certain 2009 Nissan Muranos and our Murano is barely outside the window of recalled Muranos. The dealership says they can't help us since it was built barely outside the dates of the recalled Muranos even though it is the exact same issue. Plus Nissan keeps having the same issues with different years of Muranos, so it is pretty obvious they have a widespread problem with this.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Apr 112016

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Murano. While driving 30 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated. It was diagnosed that the orc module failed and the passenger seat needed replacement. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 89,400.

- Wellington, FL, USA

Mar 262016

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Murano. While the vehicle was being inspected, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the osc sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 08V521000 (air bags, electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Sep 062015

I have a 2009 Nissan Murano that in my opinion has a very dangerous safety flaw. A small sensor in the passenger seat has decided not to function properly for no apparent reason(the air bag sensor light on the dash just began to blink back on 9/6/15, I reset it several times but it just continued turning back on) that sensor now causes for neither airbag (passenger or drivers seat) to work in case of an accident. I took the car to the dealer on 10/17/15 and they gave me a quote that is $ 3568 plus labor for repair, I complained to Nissan Consumer Affairs and all they could do is give a 50% discount for the repair. I feel that Nissan should repair this as it is a great safety flaw of the vehicle, my vehicle is not safe in case of an accident as neither the driver or passenger airbag will function if I am in an accident.

- Miami, FL, USA

Nov 112015

Passenger side air bag "off" light is on. Air bag warning light is blinking on and off. Dealer says the passenger seat cushion has failed. Nissan will not help as the car is out of warranty! the car had 30748 miles on it on 11/11/15 when the failure occurred, this happens moving or not and with passenger or not.

- Westmionster, CA, USA

Aug 182015

Takata recall, airbag on passager side indcator light on, tire light and tire slow leak

- Dorchester, MA, USA

Aug 222015

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Murano. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph, the vehicle veered off the road into a ditch and went airborne before crashing into a pole. The passenger side and front air bags did not deploy. The contact mentioned that the air bag warning light was illuminated prior to the failure. The contact sustained neck and back injuries and the passenger sustained hip and arm injuries, which required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a towing storage lot. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Biloxi, MS, USA

Jul 142015

Hit a deer going 35 mph and deployed both front airbags. I was the passenger when my airbag went off it hit my face and fractured my maxilla, broke off one tooth and made another loose enough it had to be pulled out also. Split upper and lower lip both needing stitches. Do to the damage sustained and the airbags being deployed my insurance company found the car unrepairable and a total loss.

- Mckean, PA, USA

Mar 222015

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Murano. While driving 25 mph, another vehicle crashed into the front of the contact's vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The driver sustained face injuries, the front passenger who was pregnant sustained stomach injures, the fetus sustained a fracture on the leg, and the rear passenger sustained head injures. All passengers required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed, but was taken to an auto body repair center for body repairs. In addition, five months later while driving at 35 mph, the brake pedal was depressed, but the vehicle failed to stop. As a result, the contact switched into the right lane and another vehicle crashed into the rear passenger side door of the vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The driver sustained back injuries, the front passenger sustained back and cervical injuries and the rear passenger sustained head injuries. A police report was filed. All passengers required medical attention. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 109,000.

- West Park , FL, USA

Jun 052015

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Murano. Upon starting the vehicle, the air bag warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the sensor in the passenger seat needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 121,000.

- Centerville, MS, USA

Jul 172014

My 2009 Murano has had an ongoing problem with the passenger side airbag. My passenger airbag shuts off and shuts down the whole airbag system in my car. The dealership has explained to me that when the airbag lights are flashing that I have no airbag protection. I have brought my vehicle back to the dealer a couple of times to have them look at it. They said that they were able to turn off the flashing airbag light each time but they said that they wouldn't be able to do it anymore. They told me that there is a problem with the passenger seat sensor and passenger side airbag. It does not recognize that there is someone sitting in the seat and does not activate. They said that I would need to replace both at a cost of $5000 and that there was a problem with the sensor and the airbag. I contacted Nissan and was told that its not under warranty and that there is nothing that they could do for me. I would just have to replace it. I have researched other passenger side airbag problems and recalled airbags found that each of the situations were similar to mine. I purchased this 2009 Murano after I was involved in an accident with my other 2006 Nissan Murano. The airbags in the 2006 Murano worked and my family and I were able to walk away with only a few scratches because the airbags worked. Now I have a vehicle that may or may not have a working airbag system. I worry each time I get into the vehicle. Will my airbags deploy or not" the situation needs to be addressed. Listening and reading about other airbag recalls makes me believe that my vehicle is experiencing the same problems. What does Nissan want to happen? should I end up in a collision and have no airbags on the passenger side and someone dies before they look at this airbag situation" this vehicle with this ongoing problem is not worth its fair market value I'm facing a significant loss at no fault of mine.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Apr 152015

Murano 6-cyl

The air bag warning light came on and has been blinking since. I have researched the issue and find that this is common with the 2009 Nissan Murano. Nissan refuses to fix the issue under recall. This is not covered with the warranty on the vehicle. Most are caused by a sensor under the passenger seat and the entire seat must be replaced. The cost is between 2500 and 3000 dollars. This warning light blinking indicates the system will not work correctly should I get into an accident. Please help Murano owners get this fixed with out having to pay such outrageous prices.

- Peekskill, NY, USA

Dec 172014

Dec 2014 took 2009 Nissan Murano to dealership. Cracks started opening up on front panel of dash and on side where passenger airbag is. Dealership told me I would have to contact Nissan N.a. due to vehicle past it's warranty. Called Nissan N.a., they said they would contact dealership and call me back. Dec 29th Nissan called back, response " sorry can't do anything vehicle out of warranty" and the asst. Service mgr. Gave her the impression normal wear or sun damage caused the cracks. This was not a warranty issue nor did the service mgr. Gave me the impression he thought it was sun damage. I asked her for a email address so I could send some photo's. she told me there was not an email available for consumers, " the dealership was their eyes " no pictures were even taken by the dealership. Nissan did not want to help or acknowledge the problem. On Feb 10th wfla consumer investigator did a segment on Toyota replacing cracking and sticky dashboards on various models. When they showed the video it showed a cut in the dashboard over the steering wheel exactly like mine. Almost a photo copy. You could tell the dash is made out of the same material as mine. The segment went on to say Nissan and Ford have had the same complaints. Nissan is aware of this! these cracks in my dash are getting worse. Along with the cracks there is a protruding square where the passenger airbag is. What's next is my air bag going to deploy or my dash going to start getting sticky. ***refer to NHTSA complaint # 10650129 dated 10-26-2014. ** Nissan should be held accountable for fixing these dashboards. There is no reason a consumer was denied an email address to send photos so they could see for themselves. Nissan needs to see these pictures if any thing to show who ever manufactured these dashboards the defect. If anyone else is having the same dashboard issues, please post!!

- Lake Wales, FL, USA

Jan 182013

Murano 6-cyl

The vehicle has shown problems that were previously recalled including tire monitoring system, passenger air bag warning light remains lit, and rear hatch fails to function. More recently the vehicle fails to start and has strong smell of gas. The fuel pump was replace by a certified mechanic but the problem persists, failure to start or run. In addition, the battery has drained even after being checked and recharged, clearly an electrical problem. The VIN number search shows no recall notices. Updated 2/10/2016

- Belleville, IL, USA