2010 Nissan Murano engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Nissan Murano:

2010 Nissan Murano Owner Comments

Jun 242014

Murano 6-cyl

Purchased car Feb. 11, 2014 as a certified pre-owned vehicle and purchased an extended warranty. On or about June 24, 2014 the check engine light come on, called dealer and made an appointment for June 25, 2014. Took car in and was told it was the gears in the transfer case were damaged and had sludge build up. Was told this was covered under Nissan's original drive train warranty (5 year/50K miles), or the certified pre-owned warranty (7 year/100K miles) or the (third-party) extended warranty (5 year/50K miles) which started on 2/11/14. The dealer needed Nissan's approval to proceed with the repair under the warranty. Two weeks (July 11, 2014) later I was told Nissan denied the claim because of sludge build-up in the engine. Which was news to me because I thought this was a transfer case issue - also on July 11, 2014, I was told the entire engine had to be replaced because it was not the transfer case but a bad seal on the timing cover which cause the engine oil not to circulate properly which caused the sludge build-up in the engine. Nissan blames previous owner?S neglect in their denial of my warranty claim. Extended warranty will not cover because the vehicle is still under the original power-train warranty.

- Lemont, IL, USA

Jul 022014

Murano 6-cyl

Was driving on the highway in a 55 mph zone and as we were driving the car lost acceleration, all dash lights were on as normal. We were lucky to coast off without being hit and we had our 10 months old with us. Had the car towed to local dealer and now 5 days later dealer called to let us know that they diagnosed alternator and battery failure, which is no longer covered.. we were not willing to pay the $1100 that the dealer quoted us so we had the same tow truck driver pick our car back up from the dealer and bring the car to our home. When the tow truck driver was unloading it off flatbed he cranked the car right up. We cranked it multiple times without issue. So we called the dealer again to let them know and they are standing by diagnosis. I feel that this car is a lemon as the head gaskets failed around 25000 miles. Have taken to dealer for burning smell issues multiple time since we bought it in March 2013. I'm also very concerned about the odors especially during pregnancy and driving infant around.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Oct 152013

Murano 6-cyl

Nissan Murano transfer case design flaw: I purchased a new 2010 Murano sl in June 2010. Vehicle was great until warranty expired. Just found out that the transfer case is leaking and could cause transmission failure and an accident if not fixed. According to 2 different Nissan mechanics (both from different dealerships), this transfer case has a 'tab' that pushes against the engine block creating this issue and leaks. Nissan designed new replacement transfer cases ($1600 - $2000 to the consumer) that don't have this tab! according to one Nissan mechanic, Nissan knows about this issue and sent 'service bulletins' to their service departments explaining how to fix or replace the transfer case. The internet is littered with consumer complaints about these transfer cases. I called Nissan usa. Was told that the transfer case is not recalled or covered under their extended transmission warranty. Nissan extended their cvt transmission warranty to 120K miles in case of an all out transmission failure but won't warrant or recall the cause - the transfer case. Fortunately, my family and I have not been in a major accident due to this. I'm forced to spend a lot of my money to fix this Nissan flaw. It's time for the NHTSA to step in before people are injured or killed in a major highway accident because of this issue. Thank you.

- Thornton, CO, USA