2015 Nissan Murano seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Nissan Murano:

2015 Nissan Murano Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 052016

Murano

OCS recall to have the computer reset for the passenger airbag indicator light. I have the exact systems as some others in the complaint section with this recall. Which is the light does not always go off when someone is siting in the passenger seat. It is an intermittent problem. I have notified the dealer about it but they couldn't do anything since it is a firmware issue that Nissan will have to patch again and notify dealers by a tsb plus I did notify Nissan customer service about the issue but they gave the usual run around answer go back to the dealer etc. Because you are dealing with a customer service rep not an engineer who can actually fix the problem. So it will take another recall etc. By NHTSA to force a fix.

- Ware, MA, USA

Sep 212016

Murano

I received a recall notice for the front passenger seat OCS (16V244000). The dealer completed the service. Shortly after the vehicle began to exhibit the same symptoms again. The passenger side air bag off indicator light was on even though there was a 160 lb. Person in the seat. This did not happen all the time but periodically. I just had the vehicle in for service again and reported the problem still exists. The dealer had someone sit in the passenger seat and the light did not come on at that time. They simply gave me a sheet of paper telling me how the light works which is no different than what the manual says. They said the person sitting in the seat had probably not been sitting right causing the system to think no one was in it? there is still a problem with the passenger side airbag sensor, despite the initial recall. The problem does not happen all the time but it does happen periodically.

- Nashville, NC, USA

Mar 152016

Murano

The contact owns a 2015 Nissan Murano. While driving various speeds, the air bag indicator illuminated inconsistently. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer approximately five months ago and repaired per an unknown recall. The technician was unable to duplicate or diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and consulted with the dealer. The failure was not remedied. The failure mileage was approximately 7,000.

- Bedford, TX, USA

Aug 022016

Murano

I noticed that my passenger airbag off indicator light was illuminated when I was sitting in the passenger seat. It would happen intermittently. Nissan issued a recall for the airbag and I took the car in to have it serviced and assumed it was a related issue. After the recall was completed, the same issue of the light occurred intermittently. I returned the car to Nissan who replaced the entire airbag module. After that, I still noticed the light would intermittently be on while there was a passenger in the seat. Specifically, myself or my daughter. Both of us are 110-120 lb adults. I again returned the car to Nissan who admitted that there is no definite weight that will activate the airbag and the 110-120 range is indeterminate. The suggestion was that I pull over and restart the car to reset the system to recognize a passenger in the seat. I am unable to establish any pattern of what causes it to happen. It seems very random. Occasionally when at a stop light, the car will recalculate and activate the airbag. I would estimate 40% of the time a passenger is in the seat, the light illuminates to indicate the airbag is off. I feel this is a faulty and dangerous design. No one disclosed when I bought the car I may not have airbag protection. Initially I was told the weight setting was anything greater than 70lbs would activate the airbag which is reasonable to protect smaller infant passengers that shouldn't be in the front seat to begin with. But adults and teens over 70lbs should have reliable and consistent airbag protection. I do have videos of myself in the passenger seat with the airbag light while we are driving on the highway if needed. I am disappointed and shocked Nissan does not feel this is a safety concern.

- Edinburg, PA, USA

Sep 102016

Murano

Air bag light stays on more now than before the recall repair.

- Lester, WV, USA

Aug 012016

Murano 6-cyl

2015 Nissan Murano. Consumer writes in regards to recall R1609 safety issue with the occupant classification system- OCS incorrectly classifies an adult passenger as a child/as an empty seat and switches off the passenger airbag. The consumer stated after the recall was performed, the OCS made a wrong determination. The consumer stated the safety issue still remains a problem.

- Farmington, MI, USA

Jun 202016

Murano 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2015 Nissan Murano. The contact stated that while driving, the passenger air bag warning light illuminated intermittently when the passenger side seat was occupied. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where an unknown part was replaced however, the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 3,232. The VIN was not provided. Updated 10/26/16

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Jun 252016

Murano

Passenger seat switch that controls air bag would turn off airbag with an adult in the seat. Had recall work done at the dealer I purchased the vehicle from new after work was done dash light say passenger air bag of with no one in seat and stays on all the time. It does go out with an adult in the seat. My complaint is this is a temporary fix at best this is not how this is designed to work what happens when dash light burns out ? no other vehicle I own works this way if there is a problem with the position of the switch in the seat it should be repaired or replaced for free I did not buy this car thinking that Nissan would not stand behind its product a defect is a defect fix it properly.

- Erie, PA, USA

Jun 202016

Murano

Received a recall notice regarding the passenger airbag automatically turning off if an accident occurs. Took the vehicle in on 6/20/16 regarding the recall. Got home and now the airbag light will not go out since it was supposed to be looked at and fixed on 6/20/16. Have an appointment for 6/28/16. Not sure if there isn't a deeper problem with the airbag.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jun 172016

Murano

About 50% of the time the OCS system does not turn the passenger air bag on if the engine is started prior to an adult being seated in the passenger seat and continues to stay off if the vehicle is placed in motion. If you stop the engine and then restart the air bag is then turned on. The OCS system in this vehicle has been reprogrammed as per NHTSA recall 16V-244. The other passenger air bag issues were resolved, however the problem described above has not been corrected. It matters not how far you drive or the type of road the passenger bag will not turn on again until the engine is turned off then restarted.

- Midland, GA, USA

May 092016

Murano

Sometimes the passenger seat airbag is off even though an adult is in the seat. If I turn the ignition off and back on the sensor will function properly. This has happened at random times with the latest event shown by the date in this report.

- Onley, VA, USA

May 122016

Murano

If the motor is started prior to an adult passenger sitting down in the front seat the passenger air bag is not turned on when there is no passenger in the seat and nothing else in in the seat the passenger air bag is turned on while driving. The passenger air bag is turned off while stationary, while driving and turning with a full grown adult in the seat. If you stop the vehicle and turn the engine off with the adult passenger remaining in place and restart the engine the passenger air bag will turn on. This happens each time we drive the vehicle.

- Midland, GA, USA

Apr 202016

Murano

Passenger air bag light comes on showing air bag off while passenger in seat. Have had it in several times and can't find problem. Do not feel comfortable traveling with this problem.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Oct 202015

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Feb 252016

Murano

Passenger side airbag stays off, regardless if someone is seating on passenger side. Sometimes it stays off for 10, 15, or 30 minutes, as if the sensor doesn't seem to activate. At first we thought it was just us doing something wrong, cause it doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes it works and then some days it doesn't.it happens when driving or first starting the vehicle.we called where we bought the car and told us our car was not included in the recall, but they will look into it, since we just purchased this car in October 2015.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 202016

Murano

Ir bag deployed but not inflate my wife, my two children 3 and 7 and I were on I 65 N freeway. At around 530am on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 while driving our 2015 Nissan Murano on icy road in nashville, tn area, a SUV/truck lost control on the 3rd lane (we were on the fast lane) and came in front of us. My wife was going 50 mph, on icy roads, the roads were terribly bad. The collision was pretty horrific, causing the deployment of all the front air bags and significant front end damage. My serious concern is: The air bag on the passenger side (where I was sitting) deploy but did not inflate, smoke was coming out with a bad odor. I believe this is a major concern, this could have been fatal. Please advise what options do I have at this time.

- Algonquin, IL, USA

Dec 312014

Murano

Passenger air bag is intermittently disabled with passenger in passenger seat. Problem has reocured intermittently numerous times since we purchased vehicle (Dec 2014) however dealer says cannot fix until it fail so they can see it. Code no fault found is all they will tell us. Dealer has made no attempt to fix problem other than read codes. No parts replaced, no adjustments made no troubleshooting of any kind as far as I know. Nissan corporate prefers to deny problem exists. Problem occurs with wife in seat as she is frequent passenger. Dealer never ask her to sit in seat to check codes at that time. Have 6 page document that nisan provided that tells one how to sit in seat, more a cya document from Nissan. Doc says there may be an object placed under the front seat but if you notice Nissan elected to remove the trim on 2015 models that keeps the trash out. Also have copy of December 2015 consumer reports that list this exact problem for another Nissan mode, (lower LH corner). Honest dealers will admit there is a problem, ours will not! dealer hands are tied by Nissan usa as they cannot swap parts without corporates approval. Problem occurs just after you start vehicle with passenger in passenger seat, air bag disabled light may go off in 1 min, 3 min or 30 or more min as vehicle is driven. Cannot make it happen or make lightt go off. Am worried if we have accident when air bag is disabled how much protection does my wife have or more importantly much has she lost. Problem occurs both in city and highway driving.

- Summerfield, FL, USA

Sep 012015

Murano

Cpsc: 2015 Nissan Murano consumer stated the passenger airbag deactivated. The consumer noticed when his 90 pound wife sat in the seat, the passenger air bag deactivation light illuminated and stayed on. The consumer stated it also stayed on when he say in the passenger seat, but not all the time. The dealer stated the sensors were sensitive to seating location of the passenger.

- Morton, IL, USA

Sep 012015

Murano

Cpsc:I1590088A. 2015 Nissan Murano. Consumer stated the seat sensors had a defect. The consumer noticed when his 90 pound son sat in the front passenger seat, the passenger air bag deactivation light illuminated and stayed on. The dealer claimed the sensors were sensitive to seating location of the passenger and to move around to activate the passenger air bag system. The consumer stated the problem is still ongoing.

- Morton, IL, USA

Sep 032015

Murano

Vehicle warning light indicates that the passenger air bag is off with an adult in the seat. Passenger must move around in the seat to find a spot that turns the warning light off. Sometimes the passenger must leave the vehicle and re-enter the seat to get the light off. Even when the light goes out we are not sure the air bag would deploy.

- Sun City Center, FL, USA