2001 Nissan Pathfinder suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Nissan Pathfinder:

2001 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 232015

The contact owns a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that there was an abnormal noise when the steering wheel was turned, which progressed randomly after the dealer replaced the strut towers. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic due to the steering wheel seizing and making an abnormal noise. The contact was informed that there was a manufacturer recall and to take the vehicle to a dealer. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for NHTSA campaign number: 11V244000 (steering, suspension). One dealer indicated that there was too much rust and corrosion to complete the repair. The manufacturer sent an independent source who indicated that the vehicle needed to be repaired. The manufacturer indicated that the contact would need to have the vehicle towed to another dealer to receive the recall repair. The contact was still waiting to receive the recall repair weeks later from a second dealer. The approximate failure mileage was 170,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Columbus, IN, USA

Oct 282015

The body and frame and suspension rusted from what I read online Pathfinders are known to rust away from the frame and etc. My car has been well taken care of with original paint and its rusting everywhere.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jul 112015

The contact owns a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the window pulsated on the front windshield due to corrosion on the firewall. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was confirmed that the firewall was corroded and perforated. The vehicle was not repaired. The dealer also discovered that the vehicle had severe corrosion and stated that the vehicle was unsafe to drive. The issue would need to be further escalated through Nissan. Once Nissan was contacted, the dealer was instructed to put an anti-corrosive spray on the strut housing and place a bracket on the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 138,000.

- New Bedford, MA, USA

Mar 082015

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I purchased this vehicle used. We did not go over 40 on the test drive. The next day once we approached 55 mph the rear of the vehicle began to violently wobble back and forth. We decided to research the issue and tons of complaints were cited about the same"death wobble" issue. We had done and alignment, rotated and balanced the tires and it helped slightly but the wobble is still there. It seems there is a problem with the rear bushings and /or control arms. From what I have read. Why has this not been recalled with the hundreds of complaints? we have not priced it out but seems to be a costly fix.

- Dallas, GA, USA

Aug 062014

The contact owns a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that there was a hole on the upper strut housing and there was corrosion present. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number 11V244000 (steering, suspension). The vehicle was taken back to the dealer and the mechanic stated that there was a hole present however the vehicle did not require any repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 185,000.

- Roasedale, MD, USA

Nov 112013

Pathfinder 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 30 mph, the vehicle was accelerated and when going over 40 mph the vehicle shook. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The mechanic stated that the right front strut needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000. Updated 09/02/14 the consumer took the vehicle to the dealer in October 2011. They repaired the left strut only, and the recall stated both struts were included. Updated 10/01/14 updated 10/28/2014 updated 11/18/2014 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired at the owner's expense. Updated 4/22/2015

- Voorheesville, NY, USA

Mar 142014

The contact owns a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 55 mph and going over a bump, the vehicle shook violently. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing where it was confirmed that the vehicle needed new tires and an alignment. The vehicle was repaired but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 172,000.

- Wolcott, IN, USA

Mar 032010

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I was on the frwy. And my Nissan Pathfinder started to wobble like, it was going to flip over. I was driving about 60-65 and was headed in a straight direction. I took my foot off of the accelerator and the wobble seemed to go away. I was on the frwy. So I sped up to the legal limit, and now I'm going around a curve and, the wobble was intense, it scared me to death. Since, I have had the struts, shocks replaced twice. I've done a lot of research on this is called the death is a problem with the materials used making, the bushings in the rear suspension. Even when these bushings (the same material bushings) are replaced it can and will happen again. People driving around me when this wobble starts... they cannot get away from me fast enough. This is very expensive to repair especially, most mechanics do process of elimination, starting with shocks, tires, struts, upper and lower control arms, rear arm assembly, ball joints and wheel bearings need I say more. On, the death wobble is well known. This needs to be investigated. This is the second Pathfinder I have owned, I purchase Nissan products because they are good for 2 to 300K. I love my Pathfinder, but I don't want to die in it or have an accident, killing anybody. The bushings need to be made of some other material so that this will quit happening. When all is stable, it starts all over again within a few thousand miles.

- Mesquite , TX, USA

Nov 012013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

While driving, especially at high speeds (40-65 mph), if road is bumpy, or uneven, the truck begins to wobble from side to side. You have to immediately let off of the gas to get it under control. It's getting worse, and feels unsafe to continue to drive, unless I slow down and get the wobble under control.

- Sutherland, VA, USA

Mar 062014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I just bought the 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 1 week prior from a private seller. While driving at 30 mph I hit a very large pot hole, common in mn. I heard a extra loud bang come from the front driver side wheel and pulled over instantly, upon exiting the vehicle I noticed the tire and wheel well were almost in contact with each other I couldn't see what had broke, being that it was a pitch black night. So I decided to drive the rest of the way home. The next morning I woke up and ran directly to mechanic who looked at the vehicle and told me I needed new struts shocks and cv axles I agreed with his bid and he began work on the front passenger shocks, struts, cv axle. Next he does the driver side and notices that strut is not staying in place, finishes the job calls me and says the job is complete but he needs to talk, I get to the mechanics and he hands me a bill for $830 and shows me that the strut housing on drivers side had completely rusted away. I have parked the vehicle and need to find out if this is covered by the recall.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Dec 202013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

My car body structure was broken into two pieces, and it is not operable. The passenger front side strut tower on my 2001 Pathfinder was completely rusted through. The strut tower was disconnected from the body due to the rust. When the tower finally let go, the steering was affected causing issues steering the vehicle. The problem was not only on the passenger side. There is a significant amount of rust on the driver side under carriage of the vehicle as well as the rest of the frame body structure. It caused also damage to the suspension components. Before my car got broken, I heard a noise from its right side and I was driving it on the highway, for a second I lost the ability to steel my car, but I kept it steady until I could get the next exit. I could have suffered a fatal accident that day. There is a recall for frame/body structure corrosion for this model 2001 Pathfinder registered in New Jersey. As soon I was aware about it, I called to Nissan Consumer Affairs to explain my situation. One of the Nissan repress. Advised me to take my car to the dealership in avenel NJ. My car was not drivable, so I called to the towing truck to pick and drop it off to the dealership on Dec 26, 2013. Since then, I have not had a response from Nissan to help me with my situation. Each time I spoke to a representative, they said that my case is still in process, and I need to wait for a decision. I can not believe it, I have been in a dangerous situation driven my car in that matter. I need a car to go to work for my livelihood and also to take my children to their school. I cannot afford to pay for a car rental. And after all of these, Nissan does not have any sense of cooperation. I requested them to help me with a provisional car to keep my life style on, but they denied it. I need help from the government NHTSA to make Nissan take care about this recall.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Sep 202013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The front right suspension coil on my 2001 Nissan Pathfinder failed and broke into two pieces. The widest section of coil shifted off the strut spring perch and came into contact with the nearby tire sidewall causing tire wear which could lead to failure. The ride height also fell as a result of the breakage. The failure occurred during normal Suburban driving. The vehicle is not subjected to extreme operating conditions and the struts were replaced approximately 10,000 miles prior to coil spring failure.

- Highland Park, IL, USA

Sep 052013

The contact owns a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, she heard a strange noise and the vehicle failed to respond to the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the strut housing had failed. The contact also mentioned that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number 11V244000 (steering, suspension). The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 82,000.

- Boiling Springs, PA, USA

May 222013

Vehicle has spent its life in upstate New York ware weather conditions wet and roads are salted I washed under carriage regularly to prevent corrosion but after winter the vehicles front support bracket connected to the frame that holds the front axle and lower control arm to the frame separated from the frame causing the front wheel to separate as well I was very lucky I noticed the noise and did not take drive it at any speed because the result would have been catastrophic I feel that it is a flaw in the design and that a recall should mandatory for Nissan.

- Davisville, WV, USA

Mar 232013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Traveling down the highway - hit a swoop in the road and the vehicle starting rocking back and forth like a boat in the water. It felt like it was going to roll over until I had to put on brakes going 65 miles per hour. Now can only maintain a highway speed of 50 mph in order not to experience this rocking back and forth.

- Dunwoody, GA, USA

Jun 052012

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that when the vehicle traveled over a road bump or uneven road surface, the rear of the vehicle would shake uncontrollably. The contact researched online and found that the failure could have involved the sway bars. The contact spoke with the manufacturer and was told to take the vehicle to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 134,000 and the current mileage was 144,000.

- Hayword, CA, USA

May 072013

Rear end sways uncontrollably wobble. Wobble happens after 50 mph while accelerating around corner and or on freeway. Extremely dangerous and scary...

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 092013

Pathfinder 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for an unrelated problem when they informed him that there were numerous holes in the strut housing. The vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign id number 11V244000 (steering, suspension). The vehicle was not further repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000. Updated 04/30/13 the consumer stated he took the vehicle to the dealer, after receiving a recall notice. The dealer asked for two days to repair the vehicle. However they returned the vehicle two hours later. They stated the consumer should not have any problems with the strut tower. Five months later, the consumer noticed damage to the driver's side front strut tower. The vehicle was taken to the dealer again, where they stated they could perform a second recall, but the consumer would have to contact Nissan to receive permission. After having the vehicle for two weeks, the consumer received a call from Nissan customer affairs, stating they were not going to perform a second recall and cover the cost of the repair. They did not give the consumer an explanation. When the consumer returned to pick up his vehicle, he was informed, it was not safe to drive. Updated 06/06/13

- Elmwood Park, IL, USA

Nov 082012

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The car's rear end sways on slowing down and up on acceleration, it seems to have a loss of traction.

- Germantown, TN, USA

Dec 222010

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Driver reported rubbing, grinding noise in passenger front end when turning vehicle at speeds over 40 mph. Vehicle taken for repair. Specialist reported major corrosion under entire front end of vehicle. Bracket/mount for passenger side lower control arm 60% erroded. Major seperation at weld point in unibody/frame just behind front passenger side tire. Taken to authorised Nissan dealership. Dealership identified major corrosion on both front strut towers. Both front strut towers repaired iaw recall ntb11-064 R1107 frame damage/corrosion not repaired. Nissan dealership did confirm damage but stated that recall ntb11-064 R1107 does not address/include corrosion damage to frame. Initial repair specialist advised not operating vehicle due imminent failure causing loss of vehicle control. Will contact Nissan usa.

- Zanesville, OH, USA