2002 Nissan Pathfinder suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Nissan Pathfinder:

2002 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 012016

Should be a recall

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Nov 102015

The contact owns a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while making a turn at approximately 25 mph, there was an abnormal noise coming from the front driver side of the vehicle. In addition, the contact mentioned that when making a left turn, the vehicle would shake violently without warning. The contact discovered that the undercarriage of the vehicle was corroded. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the frame was excessively corroded and could not be repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure and the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V244000 (suspension). The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- North Massatequa, NY, USA

Aug 262015

There is a active recall for excessive corrosion in the driver side strut tower housing which can cause binding on the steering column. I received a recall in 2011, but never a follow up letter as stated would happen for the remedy process. I took my 2002 vehicle in since it was still eligible for repair.I was told that if it was not repairable, I would be told so and then it would escalate to Nissan na. After bringing in the vehicle, it is now not drivable at all due to the dealership trying to do the recall and damaging the transmission cross-member that it dropped 8". the whole inside of the tower was badly rusted as was much of the under carriage. In fact they let me drive the vehicle back home (43 miles) on the day I bought it in due to my time schedule was not free for 4 hours to wait and they had no loaner vehicle. A mechanic that was ready to purchase the vehicle looked under the hood and showed to my amazement, the tower was already embracing the steering column in such a way as it was embedded in the steel. We have pictures and documentation. So the vehicle was towed back the following day and they went ahead and did the "repair" on the tower. I was called the next day and told that the vehicle was "all set" and ready to be picked up. To my wifes and my surprise the next am arriving at the dealer ship, was the obvious cross-member hanging down on the drivers side. The GM of serafini had the vehicle towed back to my residence in hopes of this all going away after he was going to check the "paper trail". when we got the vehicle back later on, only then did we receive a invoice (attached) telling us the car was uninspected(false) and not safe to drive. It was given to the tow truck operator and he gave it to us. Their way to settle it was to have a junk yard pick it up for $400

- Deposit, NY, USA

Jul 242015

Brakes failed. Took car to mechanic to repair 7/24/15. Mechanic replaced brake line and bled system but recommended we contact Nissan regarding severe corrosion in the right front strut housing area. The inner fender had pulled away causing the broken brake line. We were unaware of the extent of the corrosion until our mechanic pointed it out to us. We have photos of the area. We took the car to great neck Nissan on 9/2/15. After inspecting the car, they informed us that campaign #11V-244 would be repaired and that it had been previously repaired in 2011 at star Nissan of bayside, NY. The dealership had our vehicle from 9/2/15 until 9/9/15. On 9/8/15 they informed us that the car had additional front end issues that we would be responsible for, however, these issues would not have been a factor had the strut housing tower not been so severely defective. We had to tow our car home from the dealership because it had no brakes and was unsafe. The car is now sitting in our driveway unusable. We drove the car to the dealership and cannot drive it now (after campaign repair). Our mechanic inspected the repair and found the ABS box not secured (bolt missing). The ABS box moves substantially, it is supposed to be bolted to the top of the strut tower but it is not. In addition, the right front strut is leaking which is a direct result of the campaign issue. The left front sway bar link is broken due to the stress of the right front strut housing issue. We now have a vehicle that we cannot use that is otherwise in good condition. We have tried to resolve these issues with the dealership as well as with Nissan Consumer Affairs regional specialist but we were told that all associated issues are at the dealership's discretion. The dealership wants to charge us two hours labor to inspect the brakes but still deny the brake and suspension issues are related to the campaign

- Flushing, NY, USA

Feb 022010

Pathfinder 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the steering wheel locking mechanism failed to unlock and the contact constantly had to maneuver and adjust the steering wheel to insert the key. The contact was able to insert the key after numerous attempts. The contact mentioned that the vehicle experienced the failure of the engine not cranking upon turning the key over into the start position. The contact also experienced suspension failure in which the vehicle was swaying back and forth with no warning at any rate of speed. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 11V244000 (steering, suspension). The vehicle was taken to the authorized dealer several times and the vehicle had several repairs performed. However the failure recurred. The vehicle was to be taken back to the dealer for further inspection and diagnosis. The manufacturer was notified of the failure several times. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000. Updated 6/11/15 updated 7/16/2015

- Plainfield, NJ, USA

Jan 102015

Not pleased with the way Nissan repaired the strut housing recall on my Pathfinder! there was a foot long gash that was about 3in. Wide that Nissan repaired with a piece of sheet metal,4 nuts N bolts, and a couple of months later I have two more cracks showing up in front of fix that are running from frame up towards the hood. Going to take it to a few different state inspection places to have them take a look at it before I take it back to Nissan dealer because Nissan is saying there fix is good. Don't know how there fix could be good when they never did any welding and now I have new cracks running vertical towards my hood.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Dec 012014

Pathfinder 4WD 6-cyl

Rear frame and suspension on passenger side rear, near coil spring and shock mount. Frame has rusted through in the section of the Pathfinder. There is no other rust on the underside of the frame. Condition was found when mechanic had Pathfinder up on lift, inspecting as a used car purchase and a fuel smell and delivery issue causing the engine to stall while driving.vehicle has 96,540 miles on it. Again no other rust on the frame in this area. Was instructed to have repaired, before it becomes a safety issue and drive-ability issue. I do have a photo of this damage.

- Holland , MI, USA

Mar 142014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The chassis on my vehicle was rotten as per the recall R1107. Premium Nissan repaired the chassis with a patch that is not safe at all to drive. I have had the vehicle looked at again by other mechanics and I do not feel safe to drive my children in the vehicle.

- Larchmont, NY, USA

Dec 262013

Vehicle becomes unstable and starts to wobble (rear suspension) at 55 mph and at higher speeds.. feels like vehicle will lose control.. need to bring speed down to control vehicle.

- Tucson , AZ, USA

Sep 022013

2002 Nissan Pathfinder. Consumer writes in regards to manufacturer recall issue to buy back vehicle and unsatisfactory customer service. The consumer stated Nissan was willing to buy the vehicle back, for only $3114.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jun 032013

The contact owns a 2002 Pathfinder. The contact stated that the struts were rusted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V244000 (steering, suspension). The failure mileage was approximately 116,000.

- Washington, PA, USA

Jan 032013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Shortly after entering freeway I heard a loud "pop" and the steering wheel grabbed to the right. Due to light snow and icy conditions at the time I almost lost control of the vehicle. After pulling over I noticed the front right coil spring had snapped at about the first coil up from the bottom.

- Shakopee, MN, USA

Oct 072011

Pathfinder 6-cyl

While driving to Texas last October with the wife my vehicle all of a sudden started to wobble left to right. There was a certain speed in which vehicle did not do it and it was 60 mph. Since I am disabled I had my young brother look into he took it to a shop in houston tx and had heavy duty shocks put on the rear of the vehicle and new tires. When we headed back to California the car ran fine. March of this year the wobbling problem came back. Our son checked it out and says that the rear suspension needs all the bushings replaced but we need to have the dealer or a pro shop repair it something which will cost an arm and a leg. Can I get any kind of help? thank you in advance for your consideration to this problem.

- Perris, CA, USA

May 032012

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Driving at 65 mph., the Pathfinder rocks (wobbles) side to side and the driver is unable to control the vehicle. In order for the driver to take back control of vehicle, the driver must release the gas pedal in order for the vehicle's speed to slow down. There are numerous complaints regarding the Pathfinder's rubber bushings that need to be replaced. This is a dangerous situation that puts many drivers at risk. There's needs to be an investigation into this matter.

- Houston , TX, USA

Jan 022012

My car was part of a recall due to rust. 3 mechanics from Nissan deemed it unrepairable because the recall procedure. They said it was very unsafe to drive and it was supposed to be part of a buyback program. After waiting for 2 months they called me and told me my car was fixed. The dealer was very elusive when I asked him why they changed their mind, saying someone came and told them to just fix it from Nissan corporate. He would not confirm to me that it was not considered safe to drive. I took the car to an outside mechanic and was told it was absolutely not a proper fix.

- Miami Beach, FL, USA

Sep 212011

The contact owns a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated the vehicle was taken to a local mechanic for a routine maintenance when the contact was advised that there was corrosion on the rear differential frame and shocks. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Paoli, PA, USA

Jul 212011

Pathfinder 6-cyl

This vehicle was purchased in Tennessee and moved to Indiana less than 1 year later. Said vehicle has also made several trips to Michigan. I received a letter from Nissan stating there may be a problem with the strut housing which in turn can affect the steering. They made this to sound like a minor problem and to have it checked out if you hear noise or have difficulty steering. A concern would be if you are driving a vehicle that seems to steer correctly, however has a housing that is cracked, corroded and close to failing. Why would Nissan not recall all the vehicles to have them checked instead of making it sound like the problem is not that significant. Nissan's note states they are currently developing a remedy for this condition and when the remedy is available they will send a second letter asking owner's to bring in vehicle's for an inspection and a remedy. I haven't heard anything from Nissan since my first notice and that was months ago.

- Onward, IN, USA

Jan 012007

Pathfinder 4WD 6-cyl

I have been hearing noises in the rear passenger side of my 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE, for months.this car was purchased new. I had everything checked recently, which is when we noticed the problem.we discovered a rotted frame rail where the top of the coil spring mounts to a plate built into the frame. The rot is on both sides, but much worse on the passenger rear. The spring is about to come through.this is a safety issue!!! and it'┐'s our car, and we don'┐┐T have the money to replace it. This must be happening to many others as well. How can this happen to a kept up, beautiful 2002 Pathfinder"? it must have started rotting years ago, probably when the car only had 60,000 miles, and the car is now only 9 yrs old. There is apparently no replacement part for this problem. There is a recall on the front strut housings for rot but not the rears. To keep the car, the obvious, is a costly repair. Nissan has refused to do anything-they inspected the car in 2007 when the corrosion warranty was active on the frame.they should have seen it and I feel they are responsible.they are discriminating against me since I was told "I didn't spend enough money" at the dealer over the years for is 35 miles from my house.Nissan says it's an "environmental issue" how?" there is no rot on the front of the car, including the recalled front strut towers. The car is rotting away from beneath me.I threatened to sue them and they said they are "not obligated" to repair it.they don't care.this rot of the rear frame should never occur as it has, starting probably when it was only 6 yrs old, and be in this condition in only 9 yrs.the steel must be defected.I will ┐┐never┐Ł buy a Nissan again. Stay away from Nissan Pathfinders.the car would probably have run well for another 5 yrs and gone to 250K miles but the frame will not last.what a shame.this is ridiculous.

- Northport, NY, USA

Oct 212004

Within 5 minutes of pulling out of a parking lot and onto a main street, driving at 20 mph in stop and go traffic, suddenly the vehicle veered to the right. The driver lost control of the vehicle, causing it to go over a curb, up onto a lawn, across the street, hitting a mail box and went back onto the road. The vehicle hit an on coming van, went back up onto a curb and stopped. The driver had no steering control. The vehicle is currently at the dealership being repaired.

- Hazleton, PA, USA

Jan 232003

Pathfinder 4WD 6-cyl

My Pathfinder has many problems.first the vechle virbrates at all speeds, wind noise from both front windows and roof rack, there is also a jerk when you shut vechle off this does not happen all the time and happens mostly when in 4 wheel auto this is not 4 wheel floor shift, the dealer has tried to fix 4 times and now states there is a bulleten stated this is normal to get a jerk problem relate to all Pathfinder and infinty Q-4 from 1998-2002.the vibration is still present too the dealer has balanced all for tires but vibration is still there although is is not as bad, as for wind noise they suggested I buy wind delfector for both windows and roof

- Downingtown, PA, USA