CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2005 Nissan Pathfinder drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder:

2005 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 20 of 21)

Feb 062012

Pathfinder

2005 Nissan Pathfinder transmission problems took my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder to the dealer for transmission repair. The Nissan advisor and I noticed transmission fluid in multiple places. Coolant container was muddy with transmission fluid. Vehicle had just enough miles below the 80,000 miles. Hopefully the Nissan company will cover the repairs. Technician said the 80,000 miles warranty will be good until sometime in the year 2013. I was in the freeway driving and the transmission started to slip. This is very dangerous because I could of been in an accident if I was making a left turn in the highway and the opposite driver could of hit the truck in the passenger side. The Nissan advisor told me this problem is happening to many vehicles from the years of 2005 to 2007. Just today he registered 5 vehicles for repairs. The majority had 83,000 to 91,000, so the warranty will not cover. Be very careful with these type of vehicles. Transmission repair for a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder runs from $4,000 to $6,000 plus other parts. Nissan should extend the warranty to at least 100,000 miles and repair the radiator problem. The Nissan advisor informed me that the radiator gets damaged and antifreeze mixes inside transmission, "this damages the transmission and many other parts due to the excessive leaking and splashing of the transmission fluid."

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 052011

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that radiator fluid leaked into the transmission, causing the transmission to fail. A local mechanic repaired the radiator but the transmission also needed to be repaired. The dealer flushed the radiator after it was replaced by the local mechanic. The manufacturer was notified of the failure, but denied any assistance with repairs to the vehicle. The transmission was not repaired. The approximate failure and the current mileage was 96,000.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Aug 082010

Pathfinder

8-9-2010 I began having difficulty getting my car to shift into reverse. Within 2 weeks, while driving down a crowded highway, my car wouldn't shift from 3rd to 4th, and I could smell something burning. When I finally found a spot to pull over and park, a large puddle of fluid leaked all over the ground. I was alone, in an area I didn't know, and nearly got rear-ended several times when it wouldn't shift gears. I took it to several shops, and the transmissions was ruined. It would have to be rebuilt or replaced, both totaling thousands of $ I don't have. I borrowed money to have it rebuilt. Within 2 weeks, I started having the same issues. When I took it back to the shop, the technician said radiator coolant had leaked into the transmission and it would have to be rebuilt or replaced again. After looking online, I see hundreds of complaints for the exact same issue. For the fuel system, approximately 5/2010, the fuel gauge will drop to empty, even though there will still be fuel in the tank. Sometimes it will stick to mid-full when there is no fuel. Adaptive equipment, when I start the vehicle and try to warm it up, it will only blow cold air, never warm no matter how long it runs.

- Yelm, WA, USA

Dec 232011

Pathfinder 6-cyl

A cracked radiator caused coolant to leak into the transmission and mix with the transmission fluid. Once the coolant (antifreeze) entered the transmission it killed the valves, seals and torque converter and rendered the entire transmission useless.

- West Dundee, IL, USA

Nov 142011

Pathfinder

Know issues by Nissan not being addressed... radiator/oil leak - warranty extended but does not cover our vehicle. Timing chain failure in Nissan vehichles - no warrant extension covered. More info available upon request. Letter sent to Nissan on 1/15/2012 detailing all of the issues.

- Centennial, CO, USA

Dec 282011

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The radiator failed causing coolant to leak into the automatic transmission. Bother were ruined and had to be replaced. The repairs cost $5000+ this issue is well documented on top shelf internet websites including edmuands.com and others. Many folks are under power when the engine stalls, at any speed.. Nissan is not offering recall. A class action lawsuit is underway. This is a dangerous design defect (cooling the transmission via the radiator) and people may be injured or worse. Maybe it has already happened to some?

- Watkinsville, GA, USA

Mar 152011

Pathfinder

Vibration from rear wheel begins at 40 mph and increases with vehicle speed. Tires and U joints have been replaced - problem persists. Identical to transmission/radiator issues described in several consumer forums. I am reluctant to drive this vehicle, especially on the highway.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Dec 122011

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Radiator coolant leaking into transmission fluid, causing transmission to fail. Safety issue is it causes delay in forward propulsion. This is a common problem and has been well noted on Nissan Pathfinders but Nissan is not willing to accept responsibility for the problem.

- New Bern, NC, USA

Nov 232011

Pathfinder

Radiator core is cracked, which is causing the radiator to leak. It is undetermined at this time if any antifreeze has leaked into the transmission; however, over the past several months, I have on a few occasions experienced the automatic transmission operating erratically (e.g., down shifting or not shifting into passing gear when under full power). The vehicle is scheduled to have its radiator replaced on 11/30/2011, and at that time, I will have the transmission fluid analyzed to determine if any antifreeze has entered the transmission. I pray it has not!

- Brighton, MI, USA

Aug 122011

Pathfinder 6-cyl

While attempting to enter a freeway on ramp the transmission failed causing the vehicle to lose power and stop in traffic. After causing a major traffic jam at the intersection, traffic light, and on ramp we were able to get the vehicle off the road. I had just had out patient surgery and my wife was driving, it was a horrible experience. We find out later that this is a known defect from Nissan and they won't do a recall. What would have happened if we had been a few hundred yards farther down the on ramp and trying to merge into freeway traffic when this failed?

- Silverdale, WA, USA

Feb 012010

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the vehicle started to jerk violently and there was an increase in engine rpms. The vehicle was taken to a local shop prior to the failure where it was diagnosed that the transmission was defective and needed to be dismantled in order to determine the exact failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was no longer under warranty. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 10,000 and the current mileage was 105,000.

- St Joseph, IL, USA

Nov 082011

Pathfinder 6-cyl

My 2005 Nissan Pathfinder shuttered excessively when decelerating from the interstate and from that point forward had difficulty shifting into higher gears. I immediately took it to a mechanic and was told the transmission had gone bad. In the process of replacing the transmission, they discovered the radiator leaking into the transmission and the computers in the transmission and the car were not communicating.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Jan 052011

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Nissan needs to step up! this is an unbelievable amount of what is wrong with the world. Since having the many other problems fixed on my Pathfinder(2005) I am now facing an issue of it running sluggishly, high RPM's and less get up. That was one of my favorite things when we purchased the truck, I thought it was safe. I felt comfortable merging into traffic with my 4 children I knew we had power on our side. The tire pressure is constantly ( 1X a week) setting off the TPMS, then there is the squeaky brakes and other rattling, vibrating noises. The other thing is the check engine light that randomly comes on for some reason then will mysteriously be gone a few miles later. We bought Nissan thinking it was still a stable reliable company that made a strong product and stood behind it...well were we ever wrong! never again!!!

- New Egypt, NJ, USA

Oct 032011

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I was having trouble with my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder transmission slipping during routine driving. I had the fluid level checked and there was no problem. On October 3,2011 while driving on to a highway ramp, I started to accelerate to merge into traffic and the transmission just made a high pitch sound and would not engage. Several cars were behind me and I had to go off the road onto the embankment to avoid being hit. I had the vehicle towed to the shop, after several days told by a mechanic that there was a defect in the radiator of the Nissan the interior components of the radiator allowed coolant to mix with the transmission fluid contaminating it. The transmission and other drive train components were damaged and needed to be replaced along with the radiator. When I contacted the Nissan dealership here in North Carolina I was told that there have been numerous complaints filed regarding the transmission problem but there was not a recall on record to date. The cost of my repairs was $2,500.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Oct 082011

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Vehicle is slow to accelerate and runs very sluggish. Mechanic confirmed coolant has leaked into transmission.

- Canyon Lake,, TX, USA

Oct 152011

Pathfinder

On Saturday, October 15, I was crossing a busy intersection between two major highways when my transmission failed. Luckily, I was able to get it up on to the concrete median in the middle of the highway. I had 4 children in my vehicle when this occurred, and luckily a nice police officer witnessed what was happening and stopped to offer assistance. Later that night, my car was impounded because I wasn't able to tow it that day. I had to pay $275 to get my vehicle out of the impound lot and to the transmission shop. The transmission shop calls and says my transmission is completely "shot" because the coolant mixed with the transmission fluid and I have to replace the transmission and the radiator. The expense alone is more than I can spare, not to mention the danger that my children were in when the truck decided to come to a dead stop at the busiest time of day on a weekend!

- Clayton, DE, USA

Sep 302011

Pathfinder 6-cyl

2005 Pathfinder transmission in overdrive gear the car felt like it was going over a grated road. Took into Nissan and after 2 days of tests determined that the radiator leaked into the transmission and now both the transmission and radiator have to be replaced for over $5,500. Nissan did extend the warranty to 80,000 miles but since my car has 98,000 and was never routinely serviced by Nissan they will not offer any monetary help. Nissan knows there is a problem with the radiator/transmission. I called up an independent transmission repair franchise and as soon as I said 2005 Pathfinder he knew radiator leak caused the problem. There should be a national recall issued.

- Monmouth Junction, NJ, USA

Dec 012010

Pathfinder 6-cyl

At about 40,000 miles fuel gauge stopped working. And started having intermittent electrical problems. Headlights going on and off when in park. Fan starting when key is turned but not cranked. Anti-theft system locking me out from starting the truck. 70000 miles vehicle would intermittently not start. It would crank but not start. Took it to Nissan and was told nothing could be done on their part. I was told it was the ECU, bmu, tmu, and ipdm were all bad. I replaced the ipdm and bmu and ECU. Truck still ran rough. At 91000 miles Nissan now says my transmission is bad due to the radiator coolant leaking into the transmission but I am out of the 80000 mile warranty. Nissan said they will pay half to fix if I pay half of the $4600 transmission repair. Nissan can not explain why this happened but acknowledged that this is a big complaint of the 2005 Pathfinder.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

May 012010

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Radiator leaks fluid into transmission, Nissan knows this is a flaw and they will only flush your transmission, just to put it off until you are out of warranty. I started taking my Nissan in at 52,000miles for this problem and they kept telling me that they are unfamiliar with the problems I was experiencing and they couldn't find anything wrong with the truck. Now I'm out of warranty and my transmission needs replaced. Nissan also has a problem with they fuel gage, sometimes it shows gas levels, and sometimes it doesn't. I have ran out of gas 3 times now, on the highway! again, Nissan knows this is a problem, they even sent an "extended warranty" to cover this problem specifically. But, only if you are under a certain mileage. And they didn't send me the notice until I was under the mileage limit by 300 miles! please help!!

- Jonesboro, AR, USA

Sep 052011

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The transmission on my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder has failed due to an apparent leak in the cooling system that allows radiator fluid to leak into the transmission. We brought the vehicle to the dealership as it began to make loud noises while driving, apparently struggling to shift gears, and sounded as if it was about to fall out of the vehicle. The dealership pretended that they did not know what was wrong with the vehicle until I brought them the research I had found online (which there is plenty pertaining to this same exact problem with this same exact make, model, & year vehicle). Then they finally admitted that they were aware of the this widespread problem but that unfortunately the vehicle was out of warranty and that I will now have to eat the $6,000 repair bill that they've given me. Based on the research I've done, Nissan Corp. Has known about this problem for some time and has failed to address it.

- Lafayette, LA, USA